Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tie dye with class 10 yr - 11 yr olds

Options
  • 19-04-2014 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

I want to do a tie dye class with my class mainly 5th class age 10-11.

I was thinking of maybe doing T-shirts.

What is the best method to use? And would getting them to do or print something on t-shirt work e.g. letter or number or their own design....

I have a couple of questions in relation to it

1. where could I buy blank white t-shirts in bulk at cheap price
    2. Would getting them to add a design to middle or somewhere else on t-shirt be too complex
    3. Would anyone have good steps to follow when doing it?
    4. What are main list of resources I would need

Would really appreciate any advice anyone could offer on this thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,047 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'm not being smart here, but as someone who has demonstrated crafts, you really need to do this a couple of times yourself before trying to do it with a class! Tie-dying and printing are two totally, completely different crafts, you need to decide which one you are going to do, and possibly build up to doing tee-shirts by doing a practice run on pieces of fabric.

There are loads of instructions and youtube videos on line, and numerous books on the subject, but you need to read several and get an overall idea of what you are doing to cover all the issues that will arise. What kind of dye/colours will you use, how are you doing to deal with the combination of dye and school clothes? I think you will probably need to do it in two installments whichever you choose - a planning and preparation day, learning how to tie the fabric, or preparing stencils etc, and then doing the actual dying.

Sorry this is a bit less than helpful, but (its my opinion :) )you really cannot prepare this kind of class on the basis of a single set of instructions!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Honestly from trying to do this with different groups, I would just buy fabric paint and do potato prints.

Cut shape into potato and dip in acrylic paint and print tee. Or even better but the 70c cotton bags from aldi and print those.

The main issues with tie dye are, classrooms not set up for the (permanent ) mess! School clothes.

You need cotton tees for tie dye and there are not as cheap as they used to be.

Would you consider

Advertisement