Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best value engagement rings Dublin

Options
  • 12-03-2014 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend which jewelers are the best for engagement rings in Dublin? I have tried John Brereton and Voltaire Diamonds. I know the ring I want and I just want to get the best price

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 YossiA

Some lovely jewellers in Kilkenny. Would you not consider visiting there. Only down the road.
    irishguy wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend which jewelers are the best for engagement rings in Dublin? I have tried John Brereton and Voltaire Diamonds. I know the ring I want and I just want to get the best price

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

YossiA wrote: »
    Some lovely jewellers in Kilkenny. Would you not consider visiting there. Only down the road.

I was hoping to get one in Dublin. No recommendations ??

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Maybe put up a few details of the type of ring you're looking for. People might be better able to recommend somewhere if they know what type of ring you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I was hoping to get one in Dublin. No recommendations ??

I researched my ring for 6months! I looked at London, Birmingham, and USA and found the best value north of the Liffey. My recommendations are thomas gear in ilac, Martin gear on Mary street and Patrick Glynn on middle abbey street. You won't get champagne or fancy show rooms but great value. I got a 1 carat 3 stone white gold ring for a third of the price in comparison to applebys and rocks! If you want a halo though rocks was the cheapest! Also if you pay in cash martin gear will give you a bigger discount. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

We paid €3000 for a ring in Voltaire which was later valued at €4300. Pretty good value, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 harryt

Another vote for Martin Gear.i searched everywhere for a ring I liked and he made me one exactly to my specifications at about 30% less than other jewellers.He kept in contact and sent me pictures of the ring as it was being made to make sure I was happy with it.

Millem wrote: »
    I researched my ring for 6months! I looked at London, Birmingham, and USA and found the best value north of the Liffey. My recommendations are thomas gear in ilac, Martin gear on Mary street and Patrick Glynn on middle abbey street. You won't get champagne or fancy show rooms but great value. I got a 1 carat 3 stone white gold ring for a third of the price in comparison to applebys and rocks! If you want a halo though rocks was the cheapest! Also if you pay in cash martin gear will give you a bigger discount. :)

Thanks I'll try those. Got a quote from Voltaire and they were about 20% more than john brereton, the next cheapest. precious.ie seamed good too, anyone heard anything about them?

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

Rocks on grafton Street

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Got my fiancé's from voltaire and was exceptionally impressed with both the service and end product.

You can tell them your budget and they will work to that with a spec.

Interesting during consultation we agreed a style and specific details (e.g. 4Cs). They told me they'd see if they could get an agreement to go next size up (and within my budget) regarding the carat but couldn't guarantee it.

When I collected the ring, the main stone was 0.15 bigger than agreed, the same colour spec agreed and one grade higher on the clarity.

You couldn't ask for better than that in fairness. Plus valuation was some €1700 more than I paid.

But voltaire were just a real pleasure to deal with from start to finish and made a difficult decision really a lot easier than expected.

Thanks I'll try those. Got a quote from Voltaire and they were about 20% more than john brereton, the next cheapest. precious.ie seamed good too, anyone heard anything about them?

I found Voltaire expensive too. I saw a very similar ring to mine in applebys except the spec of my diamonds is better. Applebys was over 3 times the price! I have found that rocks has really come down in price. I would avoid the likes of fields etc overpriced and diamond spec is not great to be honest. If my memory serves me correct Patrick gylnn doesn't open on a Saturday he is beside arnotts carpark but you have to ring a bell and go upstairs. What style are you after? I found martin gear cheapest for solitaires, thomas gear cheapest for three stone rings, rocks cheapest for halos and I forgot to mention Vivienne's in rathmines (she used to also have a shop in stillorgan) she was cheapest for marquise cut. I also looked at getting it made up online (can't remember the name but it is the really popular one very good value) you get to pick the diamond and they make it up. If you want platinum thomas gear is an extra €200. They will polish your ring for free anytime you like and if you get white gold they will replate it half price for you. I went with white gold as I think platinum goes so dull it teminds me of saucepans I have never had to get my ring replated yet and in my job I get my hands wet a lot!

• Advertisement

I found Caratz on Wicklow the cheapest so far. A .82 G Si2 solitaire in 18k white gold for € 2,900.34 which is about €1,000 less than most other jewelers. You can design your own ring online and pick the diamonds here http://www.evoluer-boutique.com which is very handy.

Havent heard much about them so not sure how good they are, but they were very helpful. Also meeting with bespokediamonds.ie which seem very good too (and very busy).

Patrick Glynn/John Brereton/Martin gear were all around the same price 2900 for a .7 G/H Si2

The craziest quote I got was the Design Yard for €6400 for a .75 G Si1

Also got 2 quotes from Dubai;
    €2250 F SI1 0.70 Cara
    $2,695 0.74 I Si1 Dubai Diamonds
    I am sure they would be cheaper if you did a bit of haggling.

Hope that helps people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 fariannke

hey ... bit late to the party here, but have my eye on a ring in TG and hoping to head up at the weekend, but just wondering if they move on price any bit? I always like to try to get a few €€€ off, but their prices are so low anyway i'm wondering if they move on them at all??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

Just wanted to add a vote for Martin Gear. Found him good to deal with, love the ring and went back there for the wedding rings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 fariannke

Just wanted to add a vote for Martin Gear. Found him good to deal with, love the ring and went back there for the wedding rings.

and did he move on the price any more

I didn't find him hugely cheap. A lot of what he sells are low grade large stones, you could get the same size stone with higher quality in Caratz or bespoke. Get a quote for the exact same thing in each place, so you can compare like with like

fariannke wrote: »
    and did he move on the price any more

He will move on price if you pay in cash

I didn't find him hugely cheap. A lot of what he sells are low grade large stones, you could get the same size stone with higher quality in Caratz or bespoke. Get a quote for the exact same thing in each place, so you can compare like with like

Really? The minimum spec I was looking at was G Si1 and found him the cheapest for solitaires. I found just going under the carat so say 0.95 to be significant compared to 1 carat. But I suppose it was nearly 2 years ago!

I found the two I mentioned above the cheapest for .7/.8 g si2. Also the quality of the mount in mg didn't appear the best, on the ones I saw

Can't comment on Martin Gear as I didn't like the look of the shop. Mine purchased from Thomas Gear is .7c, colour grade f, clarity Si1. Hope this helps!

O lol lol! My OH had a major problem crossing the liffey and I swear thought he was going to have a mini heart attack going down Mary street! He got over it fairly rapidly when he saw the price difference. I ended up getting a 3 stone ring not a solitaire in the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 NoPainNoGain

Men eh..?! They learn quick :-D

• Advertisement

Men eh..?! They learn quick :-D

Hahaha

Advertisement