Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to make my own screen - need help sourcing materials.

• 28-10-2013 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭

I know there is a similar thread on this with step by step photos, I want to do a screen with one major difference. Instead of stretching the screen material and stapling it to the back of the fram - I want to build my screen around a single piece of MDF (thin as possible) but the only probem is the size. I want a 120 inch (305 cm) diagonal screen, which means the single sheet of MDF will probably have to be at least 118 (300 cm) to accomadate the border/beading. Anybody know where I could lay my hands on such a big piece of MDF?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

If you want it thin, would you be better off using a sheet of hardboard rather than MDF?

https://www.build4less.ie/product_info.php?products_id=2698

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Assuming you can get a sheet that big, you should take into account that a screen-sized sheet of mdf (or hardboard) is heavier than you would think and will tend to warp - you'll need to make sure the frame is very well braced.

Any particular reason you're going this route instead of the usual diy stretched screen ?

Ritz.

Advertisement