Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Watching a movie on my tv that is stored remotely

Options
  • 15-10-2013 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

( I posted this on another forum but was advised I might get more replies here )
    I'm starting with a blank canvas here so all options are valid. What I have is as follows. An Ethernet port at both of my TVs ( Wired with Cat6 so hoping b/w is not an issue ) A NAS Drive with 2 movies on. I have a Windows 7 server also with the same movies on it. What are my options on the TV side to allow me to watch either of these two movies at the same time on either of my TVs? My TVs do not have NIC adapters on them. I don't want to sit a PC beside my TV. Is there a simple dumb decoder I can sit beside my TV that I can use to point to the MKV file and play it? Any ideas are welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

An Ethernet port at both of my TVs . . . . My TVs do not have NIC adapters on them.

Maybe something like a Raspberry Pi ? They have HDMI sockets and Ethernet ports and some really useful software which hooks the whole lot up. At 30 or 40 quid each and capable of being powered from a USB socket - does your TV have USB ? - they are a really simple and versatile way to connect up.

There are a number of DLNA servers available for Windows including Media Player which I understand also supports this protocol. It's possible your TVs also support this - especially if they are Sony TVs. Either way XBMC (I think) will recognise DLNA servers (on your PC) and stream media from them to the Pi and to your TV via HDMI.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭BeanbagBallbag

Are they smart TVs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭mayoman1973

nah, just standard ones, 2 or 3 yrs old

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭meep

the Pi itself will run XBMC which opens up a lot of options for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Fazer6

I use a WD TV Live for streaming to a non-smart full HD LCD TV.
    The WD TV can be connected to the TV via a HDMI cable or phono yellow/red/white cable. The WD TV Live can connect to your PC/NAS either with an ethernet cable or wirelessly via your wi-fi. It can stream movies/music/photos. I'm very pleased with it.

Fazer6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭johnybean

you could load Plex onto the servers and use a Nowtv with plex sideloaded on it for playback on your tvs.
    Details of the nowtv located on this thread
    I have this setup myself and Im very happy with it. Need to add some RAM to the server to help with transcoding of larger files but my 4-5GB mkvs play no problem.

Advertisement