Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heart Don't fail me now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Monday Evening: Not a great start to the build for me, had put off sundays LSR for today instead but 5k into it my right calve tightened up and just got worse so I decided it was a bit early in the year to be forcing a run so I walked back to the gym. Its still a bit tender but hopefully its nothing however I will give the running a break for a few days

Tuesday AM: Not enough time for the set so 1100m of drills and a few calve stretches - I will kick into the set tomorrow instead

Tuesday Evening: I opted out of todays run and pushed forward thursdays cycle to today instead, 1.15 mins of Z2 with 5 x 1 sprints. I enjoyed this, I decided to give this an honest effort as I might as well take advantage of any potential break in the running. The 5 x 1 minutes sprints after 15 minutes got my heart rate well into Z2 by the end of it and I mainly concentrated on holding that for the rest of the session. Finished with HR of 125

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

catweazle wrote: »
    30 weeks

10 base / 10 build / 10 peak due to come into fruition for end of July for Humbert!

I have it on an excel file and will email it on to you later for Savageman ;)

(although perhaps a big European Ironman for next years SBR hoe smackdown with Oryx & Racoonqueen might be more appropriate)

Email it to me, Mr. Cat Weazle. And does this European Ironman hoe smackdown include mud? Because I'm thinking if a guy is suggesting a hoe smackdown, it's probably going to include some mud. ;)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Email it to me, Mr. Cat Weazle. And does this European Ironman hoe smackdown include mud? Because I'm thinking if a guy is suggesting a hoe smackdown, it's probably going to include some mud. ;)

I remember many years ago in a Rhode Island bar I paid 50 dollars to be the manager of a hot girl in a wrestling fight. My mate paid 50 to wrestle her, by god I was sorry when all I was able to do was lightly towel her down with some big bouncer staring at me like a hawk and tell her to stay strong and keep going between rounds :o

In saying that I wasn't sure if I would have liked to be in the friends position either as she was able to give him a good hiding without fear of retaliation.

So no mud - waste of money!

Wednesday AM: One of the easier sessions on the swim plan, main set was 4 x 54 off 1.00 with 200 active recovery and then 2 x (4 x 108 off 2.10) with another 200 A/R after each set. Am trying to not get annoyed, a new lad has arrived in swimming and hes always in early, he more or less just does a dead mans float in one of the lanes for about an hour. Usually there isn't that many in the pool at that time in the morning so there's room in the open area but I know I am gearing up to tackling him one of the days

Wednesday Lunch:
    No brick again - calve still feels slightly tight. Did 40 minutes on the turbo with 10 x 1 minute hard. A bitersweet moment when I checked the stats after that I maxed at 170 which is my highest recorded heart rate on the turbo, I would have been able to squeeze out another few beats if I had known comfortable enough. Not sure if thats a good or bad thing, I assume its good! AHR = 140

Watched Mark Webbers Tasmanian Challenge on Eurosport later - while I am not too interested in adventure racing - this looked great. I suppose its the good weather and sandy beaches over there that make it look so appealing

Thursday Am: Nothing too bad in this swim session, main set was 8 x 108 off 2.10. Came in around 1.50 for all of them.

Thursday Lunch: Short 40 minute bike session, an easy session so justified to myself to open up the laptop so I am afraid Season 1 of 24 just been started. I have high hopes for this as I have always enjoyed this type of genre.

Thursday Evening:
    Another episode of 24 watched and another easy 40 minute session

Friday AM:
    I think this is the first time I have done 3 planned swim sessions in a row, I usually stick an easy session in the middle of it. However this wasnt a tough one either with plenty of recovery. Main set was 5 x 216 with 100 AR after each one. First was 3.45, next three were around 3.40 and the last one with a push was 3.34.

Friday Lunch: Another easy session on the bike, I seem to be finding it easier to get the heart rate up, the last three easy sessions I was hitting the mid to high 120's hr easy enough

Friday Evening: An easy run to test the right calve, was going fine for 4k and then I could gradually feel it. I was able to manage it for another 1.5k but then any gradients at all started to send pain through it. Binned it and had to do the walk of shame again :mad:

Looks like I have a problem, I was mad with myself then as I should have tried this at lunch and got a physio appointment straight after if there were issues. Looks like now I will have to wait till tuesday before I can get seen.

Hopefully its none too serious, I have a major stag next weekend in Lisbon so it was going to be a poor week for me anyways.

• Advertisement

A black weekend for training :(

Saturday:
    I spent all morning trying to find a physio that opens on Saturday. I finally pleaded with a girl in Tuam to see me so I drove over. After an aborted one legged hop on my dodgy leg the diagnosis was pretty quick. An Achilles Tendon strain - in fairness she didn't make it seem so bad. No need for repeat visits and she gave me a series of strengthening exercises. Reckons I need to take a break and then go back carefully starting with Aqua Jogging :eek: I better not take up a lane with that!

So all and all I wont run at all this week and will start back slowly towards the end of next week, which will be about right with the stag this weekend.

20k cycled - it should have been a 3 hour cycle but it was too late at that stage and I was out on the lash with Mrs C later

Sunday: Nothing - had a terrible hangover all day and sat on the couch and felt sorry for myself instead. God help me on this 3 night stag if I am in such a heap after one night

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭griffin100

Remember a stag is like an Ironman you need to pace yourself. The first couple of hours are like the swim. The aim here is to get yourself set up for the day by getting in the calories early (a decent breakfast), pacing yourself (bottles rather than pints) and not overdoing it too quickly. Obviously the cycle comes next. This is where you get into a decent rhythm and the pints are flowing. Obviously overdoing it in the early stages of the bike will scupper your run chances and at this stage its best to avoid any hills (i.e. spirits and cocktails). If you survive the bike and have paced well then you will be in good shape for the marathon. This is where those that have overdone it on the bike leg will bonk (or puke and keel over). At the marathon stage its all about getting to the end. Walking breaks may help (i.e. drink water). More calories may also help here especially in the form of kebabs or similar. Some form of distraction to take your mind off the hurting is also useful during the latter stages of the marathon (e.g. lap dancing club). Then its all downhill to the finish.

Or you could do the usual thing and drink like a fish all day on day 1, spend day 2 hungover and crying in bed and spend day 3 trying to avoid alcohol.

Monday: Nothing - Up in office all day

Tuesday AM: Finally back into it. With a swim set I have been dreading I wanted to get a bit of feel back in the water before I took it on, pricked about for 600ms and then called it a day

Tuesday Lunch: A bit better. 40 minute Z2 turbo with 5 x 1 minute hard after ten minutes. Got a decent for me AHR of 124 after it.

Tuesday Evening: Was able to sneak another 40 minute session the same as above. Notice I am back to 40 minutes, 24 episode don't go on as long as Game of Thrones. AHR = 122

Wednesday AM: A right ballbuster of a swim session that I skipped the last time as I didn't think I would do myself justice. My suspicions that my endurance isnt matching my speed was correct. Main set was an endurance session with 4 x 396 off 7.15. Comfortably came in on the first one in 7.05, tried to pace the second one a little bit but came in at 7.20, the third was 7.20 and pushed hard on the last for another............7.20 :(

I was a bit mad with myself after as I certainly wasn't gasping for breath at the end of the 4th set. I reckon I subconsciously eased off a little when it got hard. Will be moving up to the long sessions on the spreadsheet soon so hopefully that will sort the endurance

Wednesday Lunch: With more time on the bike these days, I decided to go off plan a little bit and followed a strength training session that I saw on the TI site, so 7 x 3 minutes on high resistance with 90 second rests

I had hoped for another session later but my plans have been scuppered with an order to cut the lawn - is it that time of the year again already :mad:

I had hoped for another session later but my plans have been scuppered with an order to cut the lawn - is it that time of the year again already :mad:

Perhaps a small herd of sheep would remedy this for you. Or a pallet of bricks. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Will you pop over and do mine after????? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

since you're on a roll Catweazle... mine could do with a bit of attention too :)
    I'd do it myself except I do it wrong .... apparently (shrugs).

Might as well log these now before I forget about them

Thursday AM: Swim session - nothing too bad although a lot of kickboard which may well have put some slight pressure on the calf, I certainly felt it being weak

Thursday Lunch: A 40 minute Z2 session on the turbo, AHR = 127. This is geting better, I was in the 140's for a lot of it. I have also downloaded a Sufferfest Video - Downward Spiral so I will give that a go next week

Cancelled thursdays evening session to have a few glasses of red with Mrs C and get my stag pep talk. The 5 no's as always were gone over

No Sluts - No Whores - No Vodka and Redbull - No Drugs - No Sleepwalking

She must think I am still in my teens if I was to go through all of the above again at my age. She also has a new technique added by holding Pudsey up to me and telling me to think of my son when i am thinking of doing something stupid.......you are a father now. Nearly burst out laughing when I heard that line :D

Friday Am: With me a little tired from the wine I arsed about for 600ms in the pool and then tried some aqua jogging which I felt silly doing so I binned it fairly quickly.

Away we go, the togs and goggles are packed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭griffin100

Surely you misheard her and what she actually meant was:

No Sluts unless you take precaustion (hence the goggles:D) - No expensive Whores - No Vodka and Redbull before 10am - No expensive Drugs - No naked Sleepwalking

Could be a wild weekend........

I'm living my sad life vicariously through you this weekend. My bank holiday weekend will consist of kids and parades, mammy's day stuff and trying to get college assignments done by next week (why did i ever think I needed another masters). Ah the joys of middle age and having loads of kids :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Are those offences in order of graveness?

For example, "sluts" = a lifetime ban, but V&R (actually, ever tried TVRs...?breakfast of Champions at any decent stag) might only be a 4 week ban?

Of course the first night in Lisbon I lose my phone, after a minute of two of pleading whatever Portuguese bollox answered it to give it back, with them hanging up each time laughing. I had to block it :mad:

Worst part of this was I was now not contactable and with no-one having a clue how to pronounce the hotel or street we had to hope taxi drivers would bring us to the square with the black horse statue I could no longer either sneak off for a snooze or a sly break from the drinking for fear of not finding them again.

I did very well all considering and held my own better than a few lads who tried to start a row with about 20 Royal Marines after losing the rugby on Paddy's Day. Fair play to them they were pretty uninterested in teaching 15 fat Micks drinking Mojitos some manners.

Nice and cheap though, 2 euros for a bottle of Heineken - and even less for Super Bok and no commandments broken - happy days! Lisbon is a cracking place - although I wouldn't like to run a marathon there, its covered with big hills

Finally came back around to the idea of training on Wednesday

Wednesday Lunch: Easy 40 minutes turbo session
    Wednesday Evening: Another easy 40 minutes turbo

Thursday AM: An easy 1500ms swimming drills
    Thursday Lunch: A day or two early than planned but had to test the running legs on such a glorious day. Ran easy as I could with a short stride and snuck over to the grass margins every time I could. Seemed to be ok so far anyways and finished it at 5k. Stretched for ages after and am now wearing my new Lidl Compression socks, I feel kinda pervy in them.

Delighted with that, was planning a longer run tomorrow but looks like I have to go up to the office. Will be running easy for the next few sessions though as a precaution, but need to bump up the intensity of the swimming and cycling fairly lively

What color are your compression socks? :)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    What color are your compression socks? :)

Similar to this lad but in White

p006075z_640_360.jpg

Mrs. C should have no worries with you out running about in those. ;)

Delighted with that, was planning a longer run tomorrow but looks like I have to go up to the office. Will be running easy for the next few sessions though as a precaution, but need to bump up the intensity of the swimming and cycling fairly lively

Good news on the running front. Fancy a 3 hour cycle on Saturday morning to kick start your cycling?

pgibbo wrote: »
    Good news on the running front. Fancy a 3 hour cycle on Saturday morning to kick start your cycling?

Yes but only if you are on a recovery week, you taking the TT bike out or is it a bit early?

• Advertisement

Yes but only if you are on a recovery week, you taking the TT bike out or is it a bit early?

Not a recovery week but nothing too heavy planned. I was hoping to take out the TT bike but haven't had time to get it ready. Next week! :D

Ok text me later or tomorrow morning if you are going or send me an email with your number on it, have been given a Samsung Galaxy from work and I am just about to give up on connecting with Kies, its useless, so I have no number for anyone at the moment!

Thursday Evening: My first attempt at a Sufferfest video, Downward Spiral. I was going ok and had the heart rate in the high 160's for every repetition in the first set. I got a sharp cramp during the 5 minute recovery and shamelessly convinced myself that was it and binned the second set :o I promise I will finish it out the next time! Enjoyed it though, I haven't been called a pansy in years, so much so that I downloaded Fight Club as well. 40 minutes AHR = 139

Friday:
    Nothing - was up in the office for meetings

Saturday: Out with Gibbo in great weather, brought the TT bike out, I thought I heard 30 minute warm up, 30 steady, 30 easy and another 30 steady to start. In to a decent headwind on the way out for the first hour and when we hit Craughwell for the turn around I was thanking God. Off Gibbo went like a bullet and I was left trailing. I am guessing the 30 steady was postponed until we got out of the headwind. Legs had gone by the time I got back to him so I backed out of the 2nd steady session and freewheeled home. I was disappointed till I looked at the HRM and saw I had an average of 137 for the 2 1/2 spin so I was working much harder than usual so I took solace in that another few of them will bring me on. Christ the balls were on fire though - takes a bit of getting used to riding on the road v turbo

Sunday: I just couldn't get a long run in today and when I bartered an hour in the evening I went out in bad form. I was running around 5.50 kms as I wasnt confident about the calf and I was disgusted at the highish heart rate for that pace. I was also getting brassed off having to look to run on grass and tarmac as I went along. I was really beginning to motor before I got this injury so I wasnt happy. Eventually I got into a good humour when I realised I had 8k done and the calf seemed ok. Increased the pace slightly for the last 2k into 5.30 pace and then stretched it out for a while after.

I think I will increase the running sessions back to the normal 3/4 this week but keep them all easy

Saturday: Out with Gibbo in great weather, brought the TT bike out, I thought I heard 30 minute warm up, 30 steady, 30 easy and another 30 steady to start. In to a decent headwind on the way out for the first hour and when we hit Craughwell for the turn around I was thanking God. Off Gibbo went like a bullet and I was left trailing. I am guessing the 30 steady was postponed until we got out of the headwind. Legs had gone by the time I got back to him so I backed out of the 2nd steady session and freewheeled home. I was disappointed till I looked at the HRM and saw I had an average of 137 for the 2 1/2 spin so I was working much harder than usual so I took solace in that another few of them will bring me on. Christ the balls were on fire though - takes a bit of getting used to riding on the road v turbo

Sunday: I just couldn't get a long run in today and when I bartered an hour in the evening I went out in bad form. I was running around 5.50 kms as I wasnt confident about the calf and I was disgusted at the highish heart rate for that pace. I was also getting brassed off having to look to run on grass and tarmac as I went along. I was really beginning to motor before I got this injury so I wasnt happy. Eventually I got into a good humour when I realised I had 8k done and the calf seemed ok. Increased the pace slightly for the last 2k into 5.30 pace and then stretched it out for a while after.

I think I will increase the running sessions back to the normal 3/4 this week but keep them all easy

Nice spin on Saturday. It was 45 easy, 45 low end of steady (which started in the headwind), 30 easy, 30 top end of steady and 10 easy :D Pig of a headwind but the rest of the spin was great.

You should think about usig the pitches behind Terry Brennans or the ones behind the community centre in Claregalway for some running. Don't stress it too much as the gains you made won't be long coming back!

Monday: Rest day did 600m easy swimming in prep for starting the long swim sessions the following morning

Tuesday AM:
    Didnt get enough time to do the session so did 2000m of drill instead with the flippers on

Tuesday Lunch: A cracking day - so was looking forward to getting out on the run. I was still being very cautious but managed to increase the slow pace slightly to 5.29 min average. AHR = 139

Wednesday AM: Session one of the long swims was cut short again but not too bad as I only reduced the distances of the warm up and warm down. Plan called for a lot of 5 x 108's of 2.00/2.10/2.20/2.30/2.30. Speed is out of me a little bit as I haven't been swimming much recently but was around the 1.55 mark for all of these sets. The good looking swimmer was in again beside me, would like to see her pushing herself at some stage her technique is lovely but she is very much swimming on auto pilot. 3400m total

I would normally have snuck some kind of run in during weather like this but with me still nervous about overdoing the calf, I suggested a sneaky walk with Mrs C and Pudsey, so I got massive brownie points instead for "sacrificing" a training session. Although the way Mrs C walks I should nearly put it down as a run

Wednesday Evening:
    I cashed in those brownie points straight away and brought the pusseywagon onto the decking outside and was going to have a go at Sufferfest's Fight Club. However with struggling to see the laptop with the shone and then the brother in laws arrival and fascination with a bike that doesn't move and then not long after that the mother in law came too so the session was pants. Reverted back to the Fink plan which called for 1 hour of Z2 with two 5 minutes sessions at Z4. I was able to get some quality into the two Z4 sessions but that was about it.

On another note the weight is going the wrong way - barbecue every night this week and like any real man I have to have a beer or two while cooking it

Thursday AM: Mixed it up a little with a turbo session this morning - realised quickly why I don't like to run or bike that early as I was shagged almost straight away. Left it at 40 minutes with a poor average heart beat

Thursday Lunch:
    Much more like it, a cautious start turned into a decent paced run by the end of it. Started out at 5.20 pace which was planned slightly quicker than tuesdays effort but after a km or two I started to feel brave and picked it up for a few k so went up to 4.50 pace for 3k. I thought I felt a twinge and slowed back down to 5.30 pace - not long into that I started to think it must have been my imagination so I picked it up again to 4.50 pace for the last stretch and came in at 5.03 pace overall for the 8k. I was well shook though but I am getting quicker again

Friday AM:
    Was a bit mad with myself this morning as I hit the snooze button, loads of kickboard in this session so I need load of time to get it finished. Ended up cutting the kickboard by 300m and only completing 2 of the 5 x 216 off 4 (3.42, 3.51). Will have to go again with this session next week

Friday Lunch: It might be a placebo but after wearing the compression socks for a good while yesterday my legs felt good. I had made agreements about heading to the shed with the turbo for the summer instead of the attic so I am only half way through cleaning the bloody thing out so I went out for an easy 5k run instead. It was strange an out and back course that I know is 5k, turned around at 2.5 and ran back and came in and total distance was 4.6k. It gave me a 6.58 minute k at one stage which I knew wasn't right so it must have lost the signal or something, first time i ever noticed something like that before with the garmin :confused:

Every now and then my Garmin will lose signal and it is so frustrating! There is one particular spot where I've lost it twice, once each on two different Wednesday nights. :confused: It's amazing how quickly we get spoiled by technology to only get frustrated by it when it lets us down.

Saturday AM: Today was supposed to be a long bike, but I messed up last night going to bed late. Black Snake Moan was on Film4 last night and I am a huge fan of Christina Ricci, so I said I would have a quick peak and see how she is looking. Of course in this film she plays a sex crazed nymphomaniac running around in a belly top and knickers for most of it, so 2 hours later and 3 extra glasses of red to go along with the usual 2 glasses I went up to bed well after 1am, with visitors coming at short notice on saturday I swapped it around for the long run. Finks runs aren't very long at this stage so it was only an hour and 15 minutes. Another easyish run with no problems so I am going to chance getting back on the wagon next week with some Z2 runs and Z4 efforts in the middle of it. Average pace 5.37 AHR=130

Sunday AM:
    I need to get my act together with prep work, a three hour bike ride had to be cut to 2.15 as I wasn't organized enoughto go straight away. Not overly concerned with this though as I am finally ahead of last years bike training at this stage with hopefully plenty more to come. Headed out to Athenry where I proceeded to get lost so this is where the smartphones really come into their own for directions out of the town. Tried to start staying down on the TT bars for longer periods - I am guessing I have a very aggressive set up so we will see if I can stick with it or will I need to loosen it up a little bit. AHR = 119

Monday AM: 1000m of drills, monday is down as a rest day so the swim is just to get the feel back a little for tomorrows proper session. Hopefully I will get the shed finally cleared out a little for the Turbo trainers impending arrival

Tuesday AM: Again I left it to late to get that swim session I had to cut short in. I need to take into account how slow the kickboard sessions take me. However i mostly cut the warm up and warm down and a few of the kickboard reps to get the main set in which was 5 x 216m off 4.00. Once again my endurance was the issue, reps 1 and 2 were low 3.40's. I just made rep 3 on 4.00 and with a quick fix of the hat and goggles after rep 4, I needed to swim a 3.49 last 216m to get in on 20 minutes which I just about made. Nothing makes me feel as good as getting home to have breakfast after a hard swim session in the am. Total 3000m

Tuesday Evening: I was all set to have a go at Sufferfest and then through my usual disorganisation I just didn't have time, had an hour and 15 minute window which was time enough except for
    • Not having turbo set up
    • Swap skewers
    • Wheres the Polar watch?
    • Wheres the Polar HR strap?
    • Not having Sufferfest on old computer (permanently in shed now)
    So in the end I had 40 minutes watching 24 and did the planned set of 3 x 5 mins hard with 3 minutes recovery instead. On another note I have my aero bottle now, Torhans Aero 30. €55 yo yos for a water bottle :eek: Triathlon is the most expensive sport going

Wednesday AM: I got a very late call up to Letterkenny today so that was more or less today gone, I did another 40 minutes on the TT bike before I left doing yesterdays session again with 3 x 5 minutes.

Thursday Lunch: With me not getting home till after 1am and with my usual unwinding for a while after. I watched a bit of Eyes Wide Shut on ITV2 and it wasn't long till my Eyes were wide open ;). So a lie in this morning. Finally got in a run and I wanted to get back to Z2 levels rather than the easy running of the last month since the calf started playing up. So 8k at 4.54 pace with an average HR of 154. I couldn't continue to run sub 5 minute pace after 6k without the heart rate pushing into the Z3 area but was delighted that the running is coming back a little and no problems with the legs

• Advertisement

Friday AM: An endurance set with the main section being 4 x 396 off 8.35/4 x 216 off 4.20/4 x 108 of 2.10. I was unsure how to go about this and I was worried at the end of it that I might have done some junk swimming. All done without pushing myself and the thought of my old failing of being able to swim long distances easily but not pushing myself resurfaced, I thought about it later and the times were still far better than last years time. Mid 7.30's/Low 7.40's for the 396 / the 216 were in around 4 minutes and the 108's were all in below 2 minutes. I am guessing my easy swimming is now low/mid 1.50 pace for 100 metres. Neck was slightly stiff towards the end so switched back to bilateral breathing to give it a break. Total 3500m

Friday Evening:
    Finally got the courage up to give the Downward Spiral on the Sufferfest another go. While I finished it this time, I was fairly confident I would break through 170 for the HR but I got nowhere near it, didn't get it over 165 before the legs started to cave in. Its a long week I suppose and I might have a better chance trying it earlier in the week

Saturday AM: A long bike, was planning to go out to Moycullen and back but I was suspicous I had a tailwind at start so I wasn't going to go 40k or so back into a headwind at the finish so usual route out to Craughwell and back. Was surprised to see 31kph average for the first hour or so, it felt very easy with the crosswind. I stayed down in the drops for much longer periods this time and my neck was hanging off me after a while. Slowed for the next hour or so but was able to take on a reasonable hill on the way back. I really missed the Giant and the Granny wheel here and will have to plenty of hill reps as the Windy Gap on the Swinford course is way steeper than that one. 73k AHR = 118

Sunday: Had hoped for a long run but got nothing in at all. Neck still stiff from yesterday, I hope it strengthens a little and gets used to it or I might have to look at easing the position which I hope not as I am deffo getting well down on the bars

Monday AM:
    1.15 minute run, lashed rain but I always like running in the rain, AHR = 142

Advertisement