Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Deep Cycle Batteries

Options
  • 04-12-2010 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what Batteries ye are using and find the best. I'll be fitting them to a Defender and running a split charge system.

I've had Optima red and yellow tops before and didn't think much of them; Killed the yellow top - ended up filling the cab with steam with a high pitch squeel coming from it, had to leave it cool down before touching it. The Red Top I found tempermental if it was left for a few days with out starting. Standard battery was better, would start with only a small twist of the key, found the optima took a few seconds more to get the engine going.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

I use Yuasa Marine 115Ah batteries, good for both starting and deep cycling. I buy them when I'm in the UK though, think I paid £160 for the last pair I bought.

They are a big battery though, not sure you'd get two in a defender seatbox, I only have one fitted as I don't use the winch that often and a Td5 alternator puts out 120A anyway. I keep one in a portable battery box which runs the beer fridge in my trailer when i'm at shows :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I use a commercial 663 type battery, which usually goes in light lorries and tractors. Its about as big as you can fit inside the defenders battery box as you can manage.

Its a 130Ah battery and unlike the much smaller battery that was in earlier in the year, this does not have any problems turning over the big tdi on a freezing morning :cool:

Its not a deep cycle battery though. Just a standard lead acid battery. I would go with seans suggestion a leisure battery for a caravan ect.... Just get the biggest one you can fit in the box :)

Edit:

I also dont think too much of the optimas. far too expensive for what they are. I do believe that there only an 85ah battery too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

hope im not hi jacking this thread, i just fitted a 12500lb winch to my shogun but haven't got around to wiring it up yet. will my standard 110ah 600cranking amps battery be ok for winching? i tested it and its putting out a good 12v and 400amps.so i guess the 200 amps missing are due to when i opened it last week there wasn't alot of water in there.when im winching the altinator will be running to help the battery. if it's not good enough could i wire in a deep cycle battery along with the normal battery?

If you are doing only occasional winching, one battery is fine, not sure yours would be up to it though. The LR standard dealer fit for a similar set up is 115Ah, 800CCA, I think that's what my dead battery was that I binned recently. It's a good idea to put an isolator on the live feed to the winch while you are wiring it.

If you are using it regularly, the two batteries is a good idea preferably with a split charge system and there are loads of ways of doing this from a simple ignition controlled relay to sophisticated management systems that makes sure your starting battery is charged first and other fancy features. Have a google or check out one of the 4x4 forums for ideas.

My batteries are marine rather than starter or leisure and are lead/acid with no fancy features, and like Landkeeper, I got the biggest that would fit in the space :D In your case, I'd go with his suggestion, have a measure up and fit the biggest truck/tractor battery you can and see how you get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭kuro2k

Odyssey is the way to go, 1500 cranking amps and 825CCA.
    I picked up a PC1500 last year for €275!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Suckler

Heard about odyssey batteries alright, where would I pick up one?

Devon 4x4 are doing them at £165 plus VAT at the moment, not that much use to you but a bargaining point over price if you find a supplier here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Newbie question, but what does deep cycle mean:o?

Basically it's a battery that will withstand repeatedly being drained by a winch or fridge without damage, something that would wreck a normal starter battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭kuro2k

Suckler wrote: »
    Heard about odyssey batteries alright, where would I pick up one?

O'Connell Brothers, Cork (021 4323344)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 kulababa

I'm looking for
    used deep cycle batteries.High capacity 100Ahr .Can anyone help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

kulababa wrote: »
    I'm looking for
    used deep cycle batteries.High capacity 100Ahr .Can anyone help?

I have 6, all knackerd. "Used" batteries usually are, they're dear, so people only xchange when worn-out. New might be cheaper long term.

Advertisement