Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

fraud?

• 06-08-2010 3:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I'm starting a course in Uni in September after working for the same company for 6 years. I decided to leave my job in May because I would be moving to Dublin and I wanted to find a part-time job because I'll need it to get me through college (don't qualify for grants). I've been staying between my parents house in one part of Ireland, and with a friend in Dublin. I've had no luck whatsoever in finding any part-time job there. I've applied for every type of job going and have only had a few interviews.

Things were getting desperate after a month, so I went into the Social Welfare in my hometown and signed on. They asked me why I left my job, and I said it was to move home, and they asked if I planned to return to full-time education and I said no. Basically, 2 weeks later they sent a letter to say my first Jobseekers Benefit payment was waiting for me in the Post Office. So I have received the dole (first time on it) for the last month or so.. I feel conflicted. On one hand, I've been paying big PAYE and PRSI for the past 6 years.. on the other hand, I am planning on going back to college in September. I am positive about finding a part-time job in September, as I may have a friend that can get me into her place of work when the summer season is over. And obviously I will sign off before I enrol in college.. just feeling majorly fraudulent for the past few weeks. I think I just want somebody to scold me really..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

if you are over a certain age you are entitled to various grants (not the normal one)My brother is going back to college in sept and he is 27 and he is entitled to his welfare payment at a reduced amount and a grant of some version.

hes away at mo will ask more of him later.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Penny Lane

As a mature student you are entitled to a grant, particularly as you are currently on social welfare. I'm not sure of the ins and outs but I know when my ex went to college he was 32 and got some form of dole + grant. Check out citizen's advice.

Advertisement