Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forced training??

• 10-06-2010 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Afternoon all,

so my boss has heard of a training course she wants to send me on at very short notice and the other end of the country, this doesn't suit me which i've mentioned but she seems adament that i attend.

don't get me wrong i'd love to do the training but for various different reasons this doesn't suit. can she force me to attend and if i refuse what can she do about it??

opinions....?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Firstly I assume you have explained to your boss the reasons that this training is difficult for you to attend?

Is this training something that occurs on a regular basis or only comes up every now and then?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

yeh i've explained completely, it's a day course being held by another office, kinda like our head office, it's very basic and not really necessary. to be honest i'm not sure how often it's held but i think if it is that important should it not be done in-house as opposed to me driving over 300 miles, paying for this out of my own pocket.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

mr no name wrote: »
    yeh i've explained completely, it's a day course being held by another office, kinda like our head office, it's very basic and not really necessary. to be honest i'm not sure how often it's held but i think if it is that important should it not be done in-house as opposed to me driving over 300 miles, paying for this out of my own pocket.

She's hardly expecting you to pay for the transport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

If it's as you say it's a bit much... Sounds like it needs a face to face and voice your problems with the training & travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Xcellor

If training is required and its offsite you should receive expenses. Plain and simple. You should not be out of pocket for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Ok the paying for it out of my own pocket would have me refusing straight away. Also if you are travelling 300 miles and travelling is not part of your standard working conditions you should get extra time off to compensate for the time it took to travel to the training.

I would be firm and tell your boss that the training at such short notice does not suit you and if you are given proper notice you would be more than happy to attend the training with the appropriate expenses and leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

thanks guys for the advice,

i've explained it doesn't suit me and she said fine but i'd be expected to attend the next time training is on. i didn't mention expenses but definitely will the next time it comes up.

in order to attend this training i'd have to be out of bed by 5am, on the road by 6am and wouldn't be home until after 9pm at best, my normal working day is 9 - 5.30pm so i'm thinkin it's a bit irish to expect this with no extra money for fuel or anything extra for the extra hours travelling!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'd certainly expect expenses, but I do a bit of travelling with work and rarely receive time-in-lieu that matches the hours I actually spent. Then again, they can be flexible too when I need them to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

In a place I worked in one employee had to make a trip of about 150 miles with another more senior employee and had to get up at 6.30 am, normal starting time 10.00 amd and wasn't home until 8.00 pm after leaving the remote site at 5.00pm.

I foolishly thought he would be given time off for the extra travel time incurred but no dice.

Also he used to work a lot of extra time with no pay, no overtime was paid.

So conditions do vary and unless you ask for payment or reimbursement you will not get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭D.McC

OP, even though this training might be basic, you are required to do it so HR can tick the box on your file. At the very least you entitled to have your expenses met. I wouldn’t count on getting an extra time off because of the time spend travelling

• Advertisement
Advertisement