Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

List of things to do - Weddings

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Andreahalley

Figment wrote: »
    A bit of a long list for you but it should cover everything.

Six to Twelve Months Before

Select engagement ring with fiancé, if not already done so.

Select a wedding date and time.

Make a preliminary budget.

Reserve your ceremony and reception location.

Determine who will officiate at the ceremony.

Hire a wedding consultant, if you plan to use one.

Start compiling names and addresses of guests.

Select bridal and groom attendants.

Plan reception.

Check catering facilities, if at a club or hotel.

Select a caterer, if one is necessary

Select a professional photographer and video photographer.

Select a professional florist.

Select your dress and headpiece.

Announce your engagement in the newspaper

Select bridesmaids’ dresses.

Four Months Before

Make final arrangements for ceremony (deposits should be paid, contracts signed)

Make sure all bridal attire is ordered.

Have both mothers coordinate and select their dresses.

Register at a bridal registry in the towns of both families.

Order invitations and personal stationary.

Complete the guest lists and compile them in order.

Select the men’s wedding attire and reserve the right sizes.

Check requirements for blood test and marriage license in your area.

Make appointment for physical exam.

Shop for wedding rings.

Start planning the honeymoon.

Two Months Before

Address invitations and announcements. They should be mailed 4 to 6 weeks before wedding.

Finalize all details with caterer, photographer, florist, reception hall manager, musicians, etc…...

Order wedding cake, if not supplied by caterer.

Finalize the ceremony details with officiate.

Make rehearsal arrangements.

Plan rehearsal dinner.

Make appointments with hairdresser.

Make accommodation list for out-of-town attendants or guests.

Finalize the honeymoon plans.

One Month Before

Have final fitting for your bridal attendants’ gowns.

Make transportation arrangements for wedding day.

Purchase gifts for attendants.

Purchase gift for fiancé, if gifts are being exchanged.

Have the bridesmaids’ luncheon/Hen Party

Purchase going away outfit.

Keep a careful record of all gifts received in the notes section (write thank you notes immediately instead of letting them pile up).

Make sure you have all accessories, toasting goblets, ring pillow, garter, candles, etc.

Select responsible person to handle guest book and determine its location.

Two Weeks Before

Attend to business and legal details. Get necessary forms to change names on tax, drivers license, insurance and medical plans, bank accounts; make a will.

Prepare wedding announcements to be sent to newspaper.

Reconfirm the accommodations for out-of-town guests.

Arrange to have possessions and gifts moved to your new home.

Give a change-of-address card to the post office.

Finish addressing announcements to be mailed on the wedding day.

One Week Before

Contact guests who have not responded.

Give a final count to the caterer and review details.

Go over final details with all professional services you have engaged. Inform them of any changes.

Give photographer the list of pictures you want taken.

Give the video photographer a list of shots you would like included in the video.

Give all musicians the lists of music for the ceremony and reception.

Plan the seating arrangements.

Arrange for someone to assist with last minute errands and to help you dress.

Practice having your hair done to make sure it comes out properly, and determine the time it will take to have done.

Practice using your make-up in the same type of lighting you will have on the wedding day.

Keep up with the writing of your thank-you notes.

Pack your suitcase for the honeymoon.

Make sure you have your marriage license.

Have speech ready.

Make sure you have the wedding rings, and that they fit properly.

Make sure all wedding attire is picked up and fits.

Have a rehearsal with all participants, reviewing their duties.

Attend rehearsal dinner party. Stay calm and have fun!!!

Stay with family the night before the wedding. Go to bed early. You will want to look your best and feel great the next day…

On Your Wedding Day

Be sure to eat something. You have a big, exciting day ahead, and many brides have been known to faint.

Take a relaxing bath.

Fix hair or have an appointment to have it done at least 3 to 4 hours before the ceremony.

Make sure nails are done. Allow plenty of time to apply make-up.

Have all accessories together.

Start dressing one to one and half hours before the ceremony. If pictures are being taken before the ceremony, then have yourself and attendants ready approx. two hours before the ceremony (photographer and bridal attendants should arrive forty-five minutes to an hour before the ceremony for pictures)

Relax and enjoy your day.

After The Wedding

Send announcement and wedding picture to newspaper.

Mail announcements.

Write and mail thank-you notes.

Enjoy the rest of your life together.

Thanks a lot for that, very detailed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lmbunny9

hi im new to this and just signed up to get some info on weddings. ive just started planning the wedding as in got the church and hotel booked. Can anyone recommend any bridal shops in Kildare area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lmbunny9

suzi su wrote: »
    Probably way too late for you but this could help others in a similar wedding planning situation. Have you tried looking on www.mrs2be.ie

checklist on what do do here: http://www.mrs2be.ie/wedding-forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12

check this place out www.idoweddings.ie I've heard they give a really personal service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 winks

ah now i'm starting to panic such a long list! ahhhhhhhhh:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mk78

jenbecca wrote: »
    Our pre marriage course was only 20 euro in Ards friary in Donegal has to be booked but it was a beautiful day all about communication you have a few talks and encouraged to walk the grounds and stroll on the beach, etc I would really recommend it

can u please tell me how u went about booking this premarriage course in ards. What no. u rang etc? Was it on a Saturday. Thanks so much.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Heineken Helen

winks wrote: »
    ah now i'm starting to panic such a long list! ahhhhhhhhh:eek:

Lol, I know... I've booked the venue and the church and started the dress shopping and googled everything else ten times over... but the legal stuff doesn't look exciting at all and I just hope I don't forget any of it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 tammy123

I have got two long lists here in the posts and I think, the first step we have to take is to decide a venue and with that hiring wedding photographer and talk with them together about the suggestions and ideas on the themes you want to be done with a little negotiation that requires and once you will done with this then move on for making list of the invitees and menus and wedding cards that have to be posted in local and ecards for outside relatives and talking with the caterers about everything that needs to be included. After that, make out an estimate according to the things to be done and then go for purchasing engagement, jeweleries, wedding favors and wedding dress for that special effect which is very important for that occasion and then it needs to be done accordingly.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭trixie11

babaduck wrote: »
    There's a really good book written by a former B2B called "The Irish Bride's Survival Guide" - contains absolutely everything you need to plan a wedding & keep sane (I should know... the author is a friend of mine & I was one of the contributors!!)

Does anyone know if 2008 is the last publication of this book or is there a newer/updated one?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭garth-marenghi

Hi all,

Is the pre-marriage course with Accord compulsary for a wedding in a Catholic Church or just recommended?

thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 flipflops78

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Hi all,

Is the pre-marriage course with Accord compulsary for a wedding in a Catholic Church or just recommended?

thanks in advance

Its compulsory to do a wedding pre-marriage course for a Catholic Wedding but it doesnt have to be the accord one. There are other options that can work out quicker and cheaper like avalon.
    But some priests do insist on the accord one. check with your priest to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭allgirlz

Its compulsory to do a wedding pre-marriage course for a Catholic Wedding but it doesnt have to be the accord one. There are other options that can work out quicker and cheaper like avalon.
    But some priests do insist on the accord one. check with your priest to be sure.
    It's not complusory, it very much depends on your priest. We are together 10 years and have a little girl so the priest was fine with us not doing it, he gave us the questionnaire to do at home ourselves though, and advised us to get a good bottle of wine to drink while doing it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 miemie

Send invitations

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭bytheglass

That list does'nt include any wedding entertainment ie, BAND or DJ!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

This is what I'm thinking

Rings
    Book venue somewhere scenic not too far from Dublin 4k ish (any recommendations welcome) countryside/scenery, nice rooms, basic dinner, dance, done.
    Sort out civil ceremony there.
    getting flowers done by people I know
    get a photographer/ friend vlogging it.
    Dress/suits
    Book honeymoon looking at America cross country.
    invitations make them
    Getting cake done by someone I know
    Probably doing own make up and hair.
    Friends band will be playing and will make a playlist so possibly a DJ may be needed, oh dear they mostly are cringy, no idea whats the going rate for them.

not getting cars
    probably not have afters but if so a bus

New to all this and cannot think of anything else.
    Obviously not too fussed on the traditional wedding!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 AndreeaMarshal

you forgot about the shoes..and maybe a last one more step...to relax a few days before the wedding day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Patrick2011

favours for tables

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Patrick2011

Tan, nails to be done two days before

pack bag for night of wedding

arrange who is driving everybody if you arent hiring cars

book dinner, function for night after wedding for close family/friends

• Registered Users Posts: 35 circleskane

this thread is incredibly useful thank you all so much for your posts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I'd say a couple of things:

Lay out everything you need the night before! Make-up, perfume, underwear, -EVERTHING!! Nothing worse than hunting around on the day trying to find bits and pieces...

Funny one this, but I'd rub the soles of your shoes lightly with sandpaper. Someone else told me this, and I'm so glad I took their advice. Day of my wedding it rained. The floor of my church was marble and like glass. Nearly went arsey tarsey, I did...:o Good job I was on the arm of my husband!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Something I thought I'd add to this list is, if you have animals, book a pet sitter or kennels. If you're anything like us, chances are the people who normally mind your pets when you're away will be going to the wedding as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,071 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

My sis just booked her wedding and 'monica' is now in charge of it (me!). This thread is great re the planning etc and I have looked at all the wedding sites. However is there a checklist anywhere that I can save to my desktop and tick off? All the ones I have found can't be saved and ticked off if you get what I mean - they are just lists

I know I can make my own but just wondered if there was one out there in cider space!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Dovies wrote: »
    My sis just booked her wedding and 'monica' is now in charge of it (me!). This thread is great re the planning etc and I have looked at all the wedding sites. However is there a checklist anywhere that I can save to my desktop and tick off? All the ones I have found can't be saved and ticked off if you get what I mean - they are just lists

I know I can make my own but just wondered if there was one out there in cider space!

Sign up to weddingsonline, there is a checklist when you do. You can can change the status of it, every time you book or sort something, you can tick it off.

Babooshka wrote: »
    Sign up to weddingsonline, there is a checklist when you do. You can can change the status of it, every time you book or sort something, you can tick it off.

Hi. Just done that. Cant find the checklist though! Its not a very user friendly website to be honest - maybe it just takes some getting used to!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Dovies wrote: »
    Hi. Just done that. Cant find the checklist though! Its not a very user friendly website to be honest - maybe it just takes some getting used to!

There's a load of sub categories like here on boards, there's one called "my wedding", click on that one and it'll come up. I have to agree, the site is extremely busy and it's very hard to filter and do searches on it, it isn't one of my favourite's to navigate, but it's worth signing up for the info available on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭missgroovy21

Any tips for an out of control mother in law to be??? esp when the groom cant see any of her faults or how things are upsetting me??? even though weve tried talking and im giving in all the time when its my day.....any books on that??? lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭King Krib

Any tips for an out of control mother in law to be??? esp when the groom cant see any of her faults or how things are upsetting me??? even though weve tried talking and im giving in all the time when its my day.....any books on that??? lol
    If there isn't I could certainly write one....

Me again!! I signed up to weddings online for their info which is great however what I am looking for is a check list of things to do that I can save to my pc and tick stuff off when done. All I can find are ones on sites that you have to keep logging into which I dont want to do. Suggestions or has anyone got one that I can pilfer??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Why don't you make your own? Easy enough to do on Excel or Word.

I did mine on Excel which also incorporated estimates, costs, target dates and actual dates completed. I set up the spreadsheet to do a running total of the costs in sterling and euro as well, as I was organising the wedding from the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I know you don't really want an account but Moposa is great for this sort of stuff... If your venue has signed up to Moposa's premium service you even get to do the seating plan there.

Advertisement