Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Landcruiser 7 seat passenger reg change

• 22-04-2014 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭

Hi, I did some searching, but can't find answer to this, hope you can help...can a 05 Landcruiser 7 seat have the 2 small rearmost seats removed, and be then re-registered as a commercial?..sounds daft, but I've heard of a few cases where its worked...some change in the law now allows it?
    Sorry if this is done to death, cant find info on it.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

oldsmokey wrote: »
    Hi, I did some searching, but can't find answer to this, hope you can help...can a 05 Landcruiser 7 seat have the 2 small rearmost seats removed, and be then re-registered as a commercial?..sounds daft, but I've heard of a few cases where its worked...some change in the law now allows it?
    Sorry if this is done to death, cant find info on it.
    Thanks

it can be if all rear seating removed and seating fixing points welded up

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Might be better here OP.
    For anyone who has followed this thread, please review the charter here before posting as rules may be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

2005 Landcruisers shouldn't qualify as the rear door aperture is too small but a number of people are passing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

2005 Landcruisers shouldn't qualify as the rear door aperture is too small but a number of people are passing them.
    Thanks gofaster...WHERE can I get more info? Its like trying to track the holy grail.
    Ta
    Dan

oldsmokey wrote: »
    Thanks gofaster...WHERE can I get more info? Its like trying to track the holy grail.
    Ta
    Dan

PM me for the details

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Milton09

Theres a guy advertising 07/08 models on donedeal in Dublin like this, 2 rear seats removed and mesh partition fitted, they are taxed as crewcabs. I think there was a recent law change that allows it but dont have a link sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭tmboy95

Yes you can done it in the last few weeks ourselves with our 04 one. Though when you remove the seats you will need to put a dog guard of some type in place for it to pass and be proper. Other wise you might not pass mot and the traffic core will go to town on you. Rang Brian geary main dealer in limerick and got the dog guard there. Fitted it ourselves and then took it to cork for mot. Bit of work now in fitting it yourself, the seats are easy take out but messing around with the belt and stuff was abit tricky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭monseiur

tmboy95 wrote: »
    Yes you can done it in the last few weeks ourselves with our 04 one. Though when you remove the seats you will need to put a dog guard of some type in place for it to pass and be proper. Other wise you might not pass mot and the traffic core will go to town on you. Rang Brian geary main dealer in limerick and got the dog guard there. Fitted it ourselves and then took it to cork for mot. Bit of work now in fitting it yourself, the seats are easy take out but messing around with the belt and stuff was abit tricky.

Hi,
    I'm very intrested in this as I may be buying a 7 or 8 seater in UK. Did you just have to remove the third row of seats only and not the second row i.e. the row behind the driver/front passanger seats. I was always of the opinion that all seats both second and third row had to be taken out etc.
    Thanks.
    M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭tmboy95

Hi M sorry for late reply. Just removed 3rd row of seats so now there is 5 seats in it. Well we never heard of this until I was with the father and a fella saw the tax we were paying and told us and removing the rear seats. I don't know the details exactly as I was looking after getting a certified dog guard (has to be proper one).
    The father from what I gather just rang the mot centre in cork or wherever and found what needed to be done. We installed it ourselves as he'd be handy with a welder. A lot of playing around with belts and tacked up some holes somewhere and that was it. Tricky enough to do id nearly say leave it to someone who knows how to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭monseiur

Thanks TM Boy, greatly appreciated.

M.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭ubs69

Any more news on this ! I'm seeing a lot of these now , I'd like to do this myself

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

would be interested in this too, rumors of people bringing in discovery's , landcruisers etc from the uk and bolting in a dog guard and getting 13.3% vrt and commercial tax have started to come up.

but nobody seems to have any hard evidence of such. Anybody know who's doing this or what loophole is available. If it is available could somebody tell me if a full fat range rover would qualify ?

the idea of a 2008-2010 Vogue SE commercial is quite appealing.

I certify these conversions, Its above board and was brought about by Ireland having to fall in line with the EU's definition of a commercial vehicle (first exploited by Land Rover with their Discovery "Utility") and no, range Rover Vogues won't qualify as they don't achieve the required measurements.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I certify these conversions, Its above board and was brought about by Ireland having to fall in line with the EU's definition of a commercial vehicle (first exploited by Land Rover with their Discovery "Utility") and no, range Rover Vogues won't qualify as they don't achieve the required measurements.

would the landcruiser amazon qualify ?

does this mean I can buy a full spec discovery in the uk , fit a dog guard and send it to someone like yourself and pay 13.3% vrt and commercial road tax ?

would the landcruiser amazon qualify ?

does this mean I can buy a full spec discovery in the uk , fit a dog guard and send it to someone like yourself and pay 13.3% vrt and commercial road tax ?

Currently yes(to both questions).

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭s14driftking

can a bmw x5 be done like this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

What is the requirement is it a % of load space vs passager space

BMW X5's don't meet the requirements.
    visual wrote: »
    What is the requirement is it a % of load space vs passager space

Theres several different measurements that have to be carried out, load weight capacity vs passanger weight capacity being one.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭ubs69

No it's too small

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Theanswers

What about a Range Rover?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Is the 13.3% VRT based on the original asking price of the car or the book value at time of import?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Open Market Selling Price ie inflated current value in the eyes of the Revenue inc any extras on the vehicle. Forget importing and converting if it's post 2010, commercials have to be factory built as N1 since then.

101sean wrote: »
    Open Market Selling Price ie inflated current value in the eyes of the Revenue inc any extras on the vehicle. Forget importing and converting if it's post 2010, commercials have to be factory built as N1 since then.

So if you import a vehicle reged pre 2010, ie. a landcruiser. And it's reg'd in the UK as a passenger, you land it in Ireland, carry out the conversion and bring it to your local NCT centre to get it reg'd and pay VRT etc. you pay 13.5% VRT?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭cargo

There seems to have been a change or a new loophole spotted because there are a few new vehicles popping up also.

I was in a Ford dealership a week or so ago to look at a ranger and they showed me their new "4-seater" commercial Kuga jeeps. Basically a standard passenger (not based on the Kuga Van) with no changes other than the middle seatbelt removed in the back and a sticker on the back of the center console saying not to use the middle seat. Everything else exactly as a Kuga car/jeep. No tinted rear windows or anything.

They said they were only out a few weeks and said interest was huge. A guy bought one while I was there and i checked a lorry load been dropped off as I was leaving and they all bar one were "commercial" ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 CorBur

Does anyone know if these "converted commercials" are in line with revenue definition of commercials for BIK purposes?

If you look back up the thread there have been a few recent posts about BIK, reading them it doesn't look like they meet the definition.

So if you import a vehicle reged pre 2010, ie. a landcruiser. And it's reg'd in the UK as a passenger, you land it in Ireland, carry out the conversion and bring it to your local NCT centre to get it reg'd and pay VRT etc. you pay 13.5% VRT?

That was always the case with full commercial conversions and is probably the case with "crew cabs". You'd want to be absolutely sure it met the various criteria though before you stung for for a lot more!

the middle seatbelt removed in the back

That sounds really iffy, surely it will fail it's first NCT/DOE and can't meet EU C&U regulations having a seat with no belt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

Thanks all...a relation got the work done on the LC in past few days, paperwork signed off...am waiting with bated breath as to whether this lot will hold up when he goes to tax it...seems that can be a stumbling block.

Advertisement