Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Battery recycling

Options
  • 23-08-2013 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

I recently bought a new battery from a motorcycle dealership which they installed. My old battery was disposed of and they charged me €6 for doing this. I wasn't asked if I wanted them to dispose of the old battery or make my own arrangements. Does this seem right? I have heard of WEEE and from that understood that when you purchased a new battery or batteries the retailer must take the old ones from you for disposal but there was no mention of the customer having to pay for this. I could have taken the old battery to a bring centre.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Yes, that is the case, ask for the battery and bring it to the recycling center.

Why did you agree to it if you didn't want to do it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Sustainability & Environmental Issues

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Kungfu wrote: »
    I wasn't asked if I wanted them to dispose of the old battery or make my own arrangements.
    Sounds like he never agreed, tbh, as he was never asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Are you sure the €6 wasn't an advance payment for disposal of the new battery, the so-call Producer Recycling Fund? It appears on all advertisements for white goods like washing machines etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Kungfu

Yes, that is the case, ask for the battery and bring it to the recycling center.

I didn't agree to it. I left my bike in regarding an issue which turned out to be down to the battery needing replacement. All I agreed to was the purchase and installation of the new battery. I wasn't consulted about disposal of the old battery. When I collected my bike I paid and received the receipt/invoice. It wasn't until later that I noticed the "environmental charge" of €6.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Kungfu

coylemj wrote: »
    Are you sure the €6 wasn't an advance payment for disposal of the new battery, the so-call Producer Recycling Fund? It appears on all advertisements for white goods like washing machines etc.

But I thought that the regulations state that batteries must be disposed of free of charge. You are not supposed to even have to make a purchase. Any business retailing batteries must provide this service free of charge even if you haven't bought a battery from them so long as you don't turn up with loads of batteries. And especially so when you have actually purchased a battery from them?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I'd nearly name and shame.

Lead Acid batters are worth money, though a motorcycle battery probably isn't worth the trouble.

In Dublin Ballymount takes them free.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I'd nearly name and shame.

Lead Acid batters are worth money, though a motorcycle battery probably isn't worth the trouble.

In Dublin Ballymount takes them free.

DCC Recycling Centres in Ringsend and at Shamrock Terrace take them for free too.

http://www.dublincity.ie/WaterWasteEnvironment/Waste/RecyclingServices/Pages/CivicAmenitySites.aspx

http://dublinwaste.ie/files/Ringsend%20Charges%202011_1.pdf

http://www.dublinwaste.ie/bring_bank.php?fac_pid=2

http://www.dublinwaste.ie/files/North%20Strand%20Rec%20Centre%202011.pdf

Advertisement