Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWE Smackdown Spoilers for 14th June 2013

• 12-06-2013 7:47am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Thanks to Wrestlezone reader Brian McAbee for sending in the following live report for this week's episode of WWE Friday Night Smackdown.

-Daniel Bryan opens the night and tries to break up Kane, leading to an argument between the two over which is the weak link in their team. Kane tries to chokeslam Bryan, but Randy Orton makes the save and reminds him of the tag match at Payback this Sunday. The Shield show up on the screen and encourage them all to keep fighting. This sets up a 6-man tag match between them all for tonight's main event.

(1) Sheamus def. Antonio Cesaro. Damien Sandow was ringside for the match, and attacked Sheamus afterwards.

-Dolph Ziggler and Big E Langston find Teddy Long backstage, and he's eating a burger from Carl's Junior (cheap plug). They complain about the match tonight being so close to WWE Payback.

(2) Heath Slater def. The Great Khali. Slater actually won the match, using a DDT, when the other members of 3MB distracted him.

(3) Alberto del Rio & Chris Jericho def. Dolph Ziggler & Big E Langston. Ziggler didn't work much of the match, probably just to be safe, and del Rio picked up the win over Langston with a roll-up.

-Chris Jericho cuts a promo backstage about his match Sunday against CM Punk. Paul Heyman cuts him off, and gets slapped in the face for his trouble.

-There was supposed to be a match between Kaitlyn and Aksana, but it doesn't get started as the Divas Champion goes insane and attacks her opponent, the referee and more.

(4) Curtis Axel def. Wade Barrett. The Miz was on commentary, and hit Axel with the Skull Crushing Finale after the match.

(5) Kane, Daniel Bryan & Randy Orton def. The Shield. Bryan won the match for his team, using the YES Lock on Seth Rollins, picking up the first ever pinfall victory over The Shield!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,852 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

The Shield lose?

on Smackdown?

yup, WWE are morons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Was waiting for that.

They lost before and doesn't really matter.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

At least if they have to lose, it's to continue Bryan's momentum. Of all the possibly losses (and remember, they already lost to Cena a few weeks back on Raw), this one offends me the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

SlickRic wrote: »
    The Shield lose?

on Smackdown?

yup, WWE are morons.

Rollins lost to Daniel Bran, the hottest guy in the company right now, around whom TV has been built the last month and on the cusp of a huge push. Makes perfect sense.

Not sure where this idea came from that the Shield or its members need to go on a Goldberg-like run of wins. They are being pushed to the moon. Nobody needs or has to have a 100% record. At least wait and see the match. I bet all six new come out it looking a million dollars, like everyone always does in these Shield Main Events. When that happens the identity of who takes the fall is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,137 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Better that they lose on Smackdown (making it seem like Bryan and Orton could beat them at Payback and continuing Bryan's push), but still allow them to win at Payback (the bigger and more important match)

• Advertisement

rovert wrote: »
    Was waiting for that.

They lost before and doesn't really matter.

it probably doesn't, but it should matter.

and to Ando's point, i don't have any want for them to go on this Goldberg streak. but them not being pinned as a team was, i thought, a big deal.

yes, The Shield are still being pushed to the moon. but again, IMO, this is an opportunity lost to do something a little bit different. they hadn't been pinned and submitted for so long, they could've had it go long and really mean something in the end.

yes, they're still a dominant team. but I fear this is also a sign that they'll now just be booked like pretty much everyone else, and then WWE will wonder why they're not as over as they were before.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Who cares about the Shield losing, I doubt if it will mean anything for them in the long run. This is the real news from smackdown :P
    (2) Heath Slater def. The Great Khali. Slater actually won the match, using a DDT, when the other members of 3MB distracted him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

The Shield lose?

on Smackdown?

yup, WWE are morons.

They were champions competing in non-title matches, it's the WWE way. It's also the wrestling-way, I guess, but the booking of it in the 'E tends to exacerbate it as they've got 5 hours of screen-time to fill each week.

I doubt if it will mean anything for them in the long run.

it won't. they'll still be pushed.

i just thought they might keep the "not pinned as a team" going for a little while longer. it added to their aura IMO, and i thought down the road it may mean more money to the company.

at least it was Bryan who got the first victory over them :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I think them losing by pin or sub should matter what was the point of WWE building them up as an unstoppable team then(I don`t remember all these 6 Man Tag losses either unless you count DQ`s or that).
    WWE just gave it away on a smackdown that fúck all will watch. At least do it on a PPV or a Raw at least.

• Advertisement

it won't. they'll still be pushed.

i just thought they might keep the "not pinned as a team" going for a little while longer. it added to their aura IMO, and i thought down the road it may mean more money to the company.

at least it was Bryan who got the first victory over them :P
    I'd guess the idea was to try to make people think Orton and Bryan will have a shot at winning at Payback and distract from the heel turn that might happen once they lose.
    GTR63 wrote: »
    WWE just gave it away on a smackdown that fúck all will watch. At least do it on a PPV or a Raw at least.
    This is crazy alright and it's the problem that where there is always the big 'going home RAW' before a PPV, Smackdown is actually the closing show and nobody cares about it, due to the pointlessness of Smackdown every other week.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,341 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The Shield lose?

on Smackdown?

yup, WWE are morons.

They are winning at Payback so

I'd guess the idea was to try to make people think Orton and Bryan will have a shot at winning at Payback and distract from the heel turn that might happen once they lose.

that's definitely the idea.

i just think it's a silly way to give away The Shield's first pinfall/submission loss as a team.

but again, i'm fully aware it won't affect their push at the moment.

I think it could work out well for them in the end, get it out of the way while they are still on an upward trajectory rather than follow up a winning streak with a losing streak (look how Kozlov ended up and Ryback is only starting to recover now). I really have no confidence in the WWE to book an undefeated streak properly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    They are winning at Payback so

Its the 1990's again, the guy who gets the pin on the go home RAW always loses at the PPV.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,341 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

This is crazy alright and it's the problem that where there is always the big 'going home RAW' before a PPV, Smackdown is actually the closing show and nobody cares about it, due to the pointlessness of Smackdown every other week.

An Orton heel turn gets mentioned for every ppv nowadays :p

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    An Orton heel turn gets mentioned for every ppv nowadays :p

Just like a Christian return :D

Kaitlyn Shamrock:

shamrock.jpg?1364489917

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

The Shield winning all the time in 6 man tags lost it ability to make people go, 'Wow they won' Weeks ago. Not sure how many more three man tag teams could be randomly thrown together to try and beat them, no actual 3 man tag teams with established star power exist so its not a big deal if they lost (imo of course!).

I did think Taker, Triple and Cena or something could be joined together to finally beat them but then realised everyone would hate that. May as well give the honour to D Bryan who is the star of the show lately.

also Smackdown was pretty good lately so if you haven't been watchin don't be a knockin!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

DM-ICE wrote: »
    The Shield winning all the time in 6 man tags lost it ability to make people go, 'Wow they won' Weeks ago. Not sure how many more three man tag teams could be randomly thrown together to try and beat them, no actual 3 man tag teams with established star power exist so its not a big deal if they lost (imo of course!).

I think that's a case of The Shield being needlessly overexposed in six man matches though. While the matches have been great they've been thrown out willy nilly. While it shouldn't do them any real damage, having them lose their first six man in a random unhyped Smackdown match leading into a B-PPV is a waste.

• Advertisement

It wasn't because of overexposure that the wow factor is gone in the Shield winning a 6 man tag - it was because they made the Shield look credible winners against any opponents so the surprise in seeing them win was gone. That is a credit to how well they were booked the last 7/8 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

DM-ICE wrote: »
    That is a credit to how well they were booked the last 7/8 months.

Which makes beating them in a meaningless match all the more wasteful.

Would have recommended watching the Orton/Kane/Daniel Bryan vs Shield stuff without it. But the last 3-4 minutes of the match was absolutely outstanding from a crowd energy point of view. The crowd was going ape but with it being Smackdown you wonder if that was just crowd sweetening added in post production but then at end of the show you literally see people jumping with joy in the stands and punching the air.

Sheamus-Cesaro was a really good TV match. An example of what Sheamus could be - an ass kicker. Very much like his matches with Tensai last year where both men clobber each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Bryan's momentum and ability to get the crowd invested in what he's doing is very reminiscent of Eddie around the time of his beating Lesnar. People actually care about him deeply.

If anything he is a good lesson for those who place way way too much stock in win/loss records and get all annoyed when they read TV results. Guy is mega over despite taking dozens of pitfalls over the last 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭TheBantam

What a match!! That was flipping awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,727 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Notice after the match Orton went to celebrate with Bryan a number of times but Bryan always managed to avoid him. Wonder if it was on purpose or just coincidence.

And seeing Kaitlyn come out reminded me a bit of Ashley Massaro.

2djk8l.jpg
    huolrc.jpg
    a9qtjd.jpg
    2ps1w1g.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Hematocyte

I wonder how many seconds Big E Langston was off-screen before he spat out that burger?

I'm going to guess '1'.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Hematocyte

Whatever of the Shield suffering their first loss, I didn't like the way they announced the result of the match.

Just say "Your winners are Orton/Kane/Bryan won" etc. No need for the qualifying "For the first time in a six man tag team contest the Shield has been defeated" as though V-Day in Europe had just been announced or something.

• Advertisement

****! - I can't fall into the crowd in WWE

Improvise!

o.gif

Advertisement