Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Atheism/Existence of God Debates (Please Read OP)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭himnextdoor

philologos wrote: »
    RichieC & himnextdoor:

From Jeremiah chapter 10. When the heck have you ever tried to chisel your Christmas tree into a particular shape?

Which must qualify for the 'weakest argument ever' award.

Or are you of the opinion that God said it is okay to have Christmas trees as long as you don't take a chisel to them?

So, one could say that the existence of so many religions is evidence that even if the were a God, He wouldn't be a very honest God. To fool all the nations except for Christian ones is a little unfair, if you ask me.

There's nothing grand in the simple proposition that is possible for an infinite spirit to exist. The fact remains, I have yet to see a single convincing argument for the Atheist position. So, if you've got a decent one, post it up.

How would the people of Iraq and Afghanistan be treated if there were no God of Abraham?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

However, the argument still falls flat on its face. Why atheism even if Christianity is false? Rubbishing Christianity does not demonstrate atheism to be true. It's like saying if I rubbish atheism and every single other faith if that were even possible, that Christianity would be true. That's nonsense though, one must present a positive argument for that position. Likewise, you do too.
    You have yet to explain how this is even possible.
    Atheism is not a positive position, it is a lack of a belief. I asked you to give examples of the positive evidence you use to support your negative positions on things you lack a belief in, namely Russell's Teapot and fairies.
    So can you please provide examples of the type of evidence you are looking for, by providing positive evidence for Ateapotism and Afairyism?
    If your request is a fair one, you then should already have this evidence and would have no problems presenting it.

But if you can't show it, please say as much as it shows a flaw in your point.

King Mob: You of all people should know that atheists in the past did present positive arguments for their position. The philosophy course that we studied at university (for others - King Mob and I studied philosophy together at university) went quite extensively through a number of them in the Philosophy of Religion modules in particular. The new-atheist movement has rejected this however, which is a loss to that position.

That's why I believe my POV to be fair.

Everyone thanks God when they are rescued except the ones who don't get rescued. Hence, most survivors believe in God. And survivors get to reproduce.

God is a consequence of evolution; it serves as a kind of 'bond' that ties people to their community. Most people are missed eventually, in the event that they disappear. And all of us want to be missed.

Do you see how A leads to B? When you sulk, you know that something is recording the fact that you are right. Something, or God... or whatever. There is always someone to talk to... even when you are alone. IT'S YOU!

We omly pray to God when it's the best that we can do.

[EDIT] Your reference to the Philosophy course you took with King Mob tends to present you in a more authorative light than him; why is that? Why would you do that? Did you do better than he did in the exam? It would appear that you and King Mob got different things from your course; which one of you misunderstood and why?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Penn wrote: »
    However, to me, religion is also oppression. It is a system with such arbitrary rules where so much is open to interpretation. It is an excuse to discriminate against others for believing differently, or living their life in a different way.

You're right of course, religion can and has been guilty of a lot of these things. Personally I don't believe that any religious beliefs gives someone then right to discriminate and persecute others. Thankfully, into most of the Western world it is accepted that a democratic and secular society provides the best context for human and social development for all people, whether they are religious or non-religious. I should add that it is a little unfair sometimes that a believer is expected to justify the crimes of other believers (I know that's not what you were saying). I find that fundamentalists of whatever stripe, are very much alike.
    Penn wrote: »
    Then we come to Hell. Why is there such a place, with everlasting torment for those who sin? Why not have it where if you die a sinner, you simply die. You don't get to have everlasting happiness in Heaven, but you simply just die. Fear, that's why. The fear of going to Hell is used to keep people following the faith, because if they don't, they will suffer everlasting torture and torment.

Why is it not enough to just live a good, moral life? Why do you have to worship God? Praise him, thank him, go to church, follow these rules which can somehow change in accordance with the times. Why?

This has always been the single biggest issue I've had as a Christian. When it comes to hell, I think an awful lot of people don't dwell on the subject, or rationalise it - I can see why. The problem for me is how you reconcile a God of infinite mercy and infinite justice with the idea of unending punishment. After all, humans with our imperfect justice systems and our desire for vengeance would give a prisoner hope of release. There is a tradition in Christianity of belief in universal salvation - that all will ultimately be saved through Christ. Another tradition is annihilationism, which is the belief that those who are not saved will be destroyed, ie; no conscious suffering. These are minority views but many Christians would be surprised at the stature of some who held them (the famous evangelist John Stott for example). In any case, I came to the conclusion that a belief in eternal torment is not a necessity and I was a lot happier.

There are a whole lot of other points in your post that I'd like to reply to when I have more time - it's an excellent and thought-provoking post devoid of the rancour and arrogance that unfortunately typifies what passes for debate sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Which must qualify for the 'weakest argument ever' award.

Or are you of the opinion that God said it is okay to have Christmas trees as long as you don't take a chisel to them?

The Bible doesn't mention Christmas trees. It talks about the folly of pagans who make idols out of wood and decorate them with gold and solver to install as idols in their homes.

Rather than repeat what others have already said to point outy the silliness of seeing Christmas trees in Jeremiah centuries before Christmas was invented, read this link: http://www.orlutheran.com/html/jer10.html

Are you introducing this silliness to deflect attention away from what could be an interesting debate about the merits of Atheism and Christianity? If so, you are succeeding admirably.
    So, one could say that the existence of so many religions is evidence that even if the were a God, He wouldn't be a very honest God. To fool all the nations except for Christian ones is a little unfair, if you ask me.

Now that. on the other hand, is a genuine contender for the weakest argument award!

The existence of different religions, just like the existence of different theories about anything, is evidence of man's diversity, inventiveness and individuality. If men choose to construct ideas then they can hardly accuse God of 'fooling' them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

ISAW: I don't believe the Hellenistic period of Christianity was positive. Mixing pagan philosophy with Christian belief never works. Indeed, it often fails. As much as I find some of Plato and Aristotle's work interesting. Their ideas are in many ways contradictory to Christianity. For example, Plato condones collective wives in his Plato's Republic. Essentially that any woman in society should be free for any man to use them as they please. Aristotle believed that the world would never end. These are just isolated examples. There are plenty more. This may have brought some advantages, but ultimately it was corrupting. Galileo was condemned by the RCC largely on the basis of Aristotle rather than Christianity.

that is a different point and may suggest throwing the baby out with the bath water. the point is that Christianity like science is firmly rooted in logos or logic and reason which is directly attributable to greek culture. Im referring to theology and philosophy in particular. Effectively Aquinas adopted greek reasoning into Christianity. to some extent ther are also Roman influences and i mean that in the broad sense including the Byzantines such as the code of Justinian but these are legislative rather than philosophical.

Excuse me while I laugh myself to hell!

You're at it as well; refuting biblical testimony with glib asides... By deduction, because by definition [it is impossible to keep to the law of God] (hence the need for a Messiah), no religion that preceded Christianity can have been a 'true religion' that was inspired by God.

Otherwise, God lied to someone; the Hindus, Greeks, Ancient Egyptians... etc.

So, on balance, it would appear that if God does exist, He isn't very loyal to the people He promises everything to. Except for Christians of course.

no . they could have got some of the truth but not all of it for example.
    It isnt a question of one being right and all the others being totally wrong.
    Christianity for example would think the Jews had the same god as the christian god and would not say Judaism was an "untrue" religion.

King Mob wrote: »
    Yes, but those arguments are not why I, and many others are atheist, nor are those arguments very good since there is a difference between a positive belief in there being no God and a lack of a belief in God.

for your information so we dont fudge I go by what atheists actually in A&A and in surveys such as aris
    http://commons.trincoll.edu/aris/publications/american-nones-the-profile-of-the-no-religion-population/

page 11
    When asked Regarding do you think...?

the following answers
    Atheist= there is no such thing
    agnostic = not sure/dont know
    deist= ther is a higher power
    theist= ther is a personal god

all the above are NOT Catholics Protestants islam or members of other religions as far as i know.

according to the above you are probably a hard agnostic and not an atheist.
    Since most atheists are of the more reasonable option, it is not a positive position and can't really be supported by positive evidence.

No atheists are of the above option all agnostics are!
    So again, what positive evidence do you have to support your afairyism and ateapotism and why should we choose those over some other forms of teapot/fairy belief?

You are asking someone to prove a negative which is like asking them to prove No God.
    Atheism cant formally be proved in such a way no more than theism can.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,708 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

ISAW wrote: »
    for your information so we dont fudge I go by what atheists actually in A&A and in surveys such as aris
    http://commons.trincoll.edu/aris/publications/american-nones-the-profile-of-the-no-religion-population/

page 11

the following answers

all the above are NOT Catholics Protestants islam or members of other religions as far as i know.

You are asking someone to prove a negative which is like asking them to prove No God.

Atheist= belief there is no such thing
    deist= belief ther is a higher power
    theist= belief ther is a personal god

A person can be an agnostic atheist or an agnostic theist. Agnostic refers to knowledge not belief.

If you can read this, you're too close!

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    You're right of course, religion can and has been guilty of a lot of these things. Personally I don't believe that any religious beliefs gives someone then right to discriminate and persecute others. Thankfully, into most of the Western world it is accepted that a democratic and secular society provides the best context for human and social development for all people, whether they are religious or non-religious. I should add that it is a little unfair sometimes that a believer is expected to justify the crimes of other believers (I know that's not what you were saying). I find that fundamentalists of whatever stripe, are very much alike.

This has always been the single biggest issue I've had as a Christian. When it comes to hell, I think an awful lot of people don't dwell on the subject, or rationalise it - I can see why. The problem for me is how you reconcile a God of infinite mercy and infinite justice with the idea of unending punishment. After all, humans with our imperfect justice systems and our desire for vengeance would give a prisoner hope of release. There is a tradition in Christianity of belief in universal salvation - that all will ultimately cabe saved through Christ. Another tradition is annihilationism, which is the belief that those who are not saved will be destroyed, ie; no conscious suffering. These are minority views but many Christians would be surprised at the stature of some who held them (the famous evangelist John Stott for example). In any case, I came to the conclusion that a belief in eternal torment is not a necessity and I was a lot happier.

There are a whole lot of other points in your post that I'd like to reply to when I have more time - it's an excellent and thought-provoking post devoid of the rancour and arrogance that unfortunately typifies what passes for debate sometimes.

Come on! You're nearly there. Don't stop now.

It can't be reconciled. You made the argument. It's not very cost-effective is it, when the vast majority of the product goes into the fire?

Unless you're producing coal or something, that is.

Statistically speaking, with the existence of the Christian God, I am doomed to eternal suffering in the lake of fire whereas, statistically speaking, I am more likely to have chosen the wrong God.

Anyway, empirically and for pragmatic reasons, man's existence is intimately linked to the arms race; why does God need an atom-bomb?

Of course, God doesn't need an atom bomb but even if He did, He wouldn't want us to have them in the same way that we don't want the Iranians to have them which is really the reason that I don't want my children playing with fireworks.

The world as it is today could only exist in the absence of God.

IMO

No I am both an agnostic and an atheist.
    The definitions you are using are simply wrong.

Atheism = without or lacking theism. It is a lack of a belief in God
    Agnostism = without or lacking gnosticism. Which is a lack of certainty about the nature or existence of god.
    Most atheists if you ask them adhere to the position that there is no evidence for God, therefore lack a positive belief in God.
    A few atheists state a positive belief that there is certainly no God, but this is not the position I am arguing.
    Yes, this is the point I am trying to convey to Philologos, who is asking atheists to prove a negative.

Zombrex wrote: »
    Sure.

Humans have evolved brains where a primary function is to process human to human interaction. As social creatures this is very important to humans from a survival point of view. It is very important that we can understand and predict the behavior of others, that we have methods of imagining what they are doing or will do, even if they are not there.

this isnt necessarily true. the philosophy of langiuage shjows us that while communication is inteed a main function of language the primary function is NOT communication but philosophy. talking to oneself in ones head if you will. this is not the same as communicating with someone else.
    http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=douglas%20barnes%20philosophy%20of%20language&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CDwQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fweb.mac.com%2Fclcnet%2FP4C%2FPrior_Reading_Level_3_files%2Flev3%2520knowledge%2520ecchevaria%2520-%2520knowledge%2520and%2520classroom.rtf&ei=85ZQT-ydFMSJhQedhd2CDA&usg=AFQjCNEJC3Bvx5JXQgNDStP_YsQ27TeV1Q&cad=rja
    We know the world only through language and can­not, as it were, “get outside” our particular languages (natural and scientific) to examine the extent to which they mirror The World As It Really Is. Language, as Rorty puts it, ought to be seen
    not Rorty, Philosophy and the Mirror of Nature, and Bernstein, Beyond Objectivism and Relativism. p. xviii f.

as a tertium quid between Subject and Object, nor as a medium in which we try to force pictures of reality, but as part of the behavior of human beings. On this view, the activity of uttering sentences is one of the things people do in order to cope with their environment. The Deweyan notion of language as tool rather than picture is right as far as it goes. But we must be careful not to phrase this analogy so as to suggest that one can separate the tool, Language, from its users and inquire as to its “adequacy” to achieve our purposes. The latter suggestion pre­supposes that there is some way of breaking out of language in order to compare it with something else. But there is no way to think about either the world or our purposes except by using language. One can use language to criticize and enlarge itself, as one can exercise one’s body to develop and strengthen and enlarge it, but one cannot see language-as-a-whole in relation to something else to which it applies, or for which it is a means to an end
    These abilities of the human brain (often grouped under terms such as theory of mind) to processes these interactions provides the primary advantage to humans. We have not developed brains that are well suited to processing natural events, which often involve chaotic series of parallel systems, some visible and some invisible.
    The primary function of language is in understanding and thinking -philosophy.
    Or to put it another way, our brains are adapted to understand why you are violently annoyed at me cause I slept with your wife not where does snow come from or when is there going to be another Earthquake.

Because so much of our mental capacity is given over to these issues of humans interaction when attempting to process the natural world we co-opt these abilities. We assign human like agency to actions in nature, because our brain is so adapt at modeling human agents. This has worked good enough from an evolutionary point of view, it allows basic ability to cop with natural events. From a survival point of view the important thing is to stay away from lightening, not whether you think it is Thor's wrath or an electrical storm.

I can just as easily claim we model computers the universe on logic processing and laws of nature rather than a puppet master god.
    So when we suffer in say a flood our instinctive response is to try and attribute this violent action against us to some mind that has some motivation to harm us. We search for a reason why this happened that fits with how our brains are mostly evolved to think.

i dont think christians today when there is a flood say "why is god punishing us" do they?
    Certainly their churches are not directed at this -except maybe fringe christians and fundies. Most are concerned with addressing human agencies and actors rather than supernatural causes.
    These detached "minds" that are doing good or bad things to us become the supernatural agents humans have always imagined existed throughout history, be they all powerful gods or simply supernatural creatures, or simply just mother nature herself.

As i have just stated "God did it" isnt a common christian reaction to disasters.
    All this is backed up by years of scientific research. It is pretty well established by now that we do this.

And i have asked you to CITE the research. given you claim it is established you shoumld have no problem producing five or ten examples. Ill warn you in advance Please dont mention memetics or that journal among them.

[qauote]
    Yes Christians (or any religious group) can argue that just because we as a species do this doesn't mean they are doing it when it comes to their beliefs in supernatural beings in the world.

But frankly that is a some what weak argument, like someone saying that yes they accept that schizophrenics can hear voices in their heads but that doesn't mean that in their particular case the ghost of Elvis isn't really telling them to burn down their local community centre.[/QUOTE]

and your piles and piles of established research to back this opinion up is?...
    This being = try and attribute violent action against us to some supernatural mind that has some motivation to harm us.

where has the church stated a natural disaster is "god is punishing us" or "the devil is doing it"?

PDN wrote: »
    The Bible doesn't mention Christmas trees. It talks about the folly of pagans who make idols out of wood and decorate them with gold and solver to install as idols in their homes.

Rather than repeat what others have already said to point outy the silliness of seeing Christmas trees in Jeremiah centuries before Christmas was invented, read this link: http://www.orlutheran.com/html/jer10.html

Are you introducing this silliness to deflect attention away from what could be an interesting debate about the merits of Atheism and Christianity? If so, you are succeeding admirably.

Now that. on the other hand, is a genuine contender for the weakest argument award!

The existence of different religions, just like the existence of different theories about anything, is evidence of man's diversity, inventiveness and individuality. If men choose to construct ideas then they can hardly accuse God of 'fooling' them.

I'm sorry but God is very precious about His role in our affairs. He is quite adamant in His position regarding other Gods; 'Neither hearken nor call to them; remember not their ways nor inquire of their ways.'

Christmas trees hearken the old Gods and that is not allowed.

I think you should just take this as a small oversight on your part.

No I am both an agnostic and an atheist.
    The definitions you are using are simply wrong.

Thjey qre definitions. i adhere to them so people like you cant come in and fudge the issue. Yo may believe as you wish in faries UFOs or atheism=agnosticism. I will adhere to the published definition.
    Atheism = without or lacking theism. It is a lack of a belief in God
    Agnostism = without or lacking gnosticism. Which is a lack of certainty about the nature or existence of god.

Ive told yo already what the published definition I am using is.
    If you want to use the words with your own airy fairy definition fair enough. But what I mean is clear and I wont be changing the definition I have used established in the literatre since 2008 and backed up by separate references to suit you.

the following answers

THAT is what i mean by the words. i wont be changing it!
    Most atheists if you ask them adhere to the position that there is no evidence for God, therefore lack a positive belief in God.
    A few atheists state a positive belief that there is certainly no God, but this is not the position I am arguing.

you are not arguing an atheist position then. You are arguing an agnostic one.
    Yes, this is the point I am trying to convey to Philologos, who is asking atheists to prove a negative.

which you cant formally prove.
    But like the "no milk in the fridge" example we can actually look and see. That however is not formal proof.

Again I should point out the background to this harks back to the Logical Positivists of the Vienna Circle and their verification principle. while there are other problems with this principle, one can never get through an infinite list of things to verify. so Popper in his Logic of Scientific Discovery came up with the falsification principle i.e propose a theory and propose a test which will prove it false. you then need to only do one test to disprove a positive.
    Im sure you might identify the problem of disproving there is water on Mars being equated with proving there is no water on Mars.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The lack of evidence argument is not sufficient. I've explained already why. If Christianity is wrong, it does not mean that atheism is right.

But you're putting atheism on the same footing as Christianity, which it isn't. It isn't a case of "I don't believe in the Christian God, so I'll become an atheist", it's a case of "I don't believe in any god, so I am an atheist".

I don't believe you can choose to be an atheist any more than you can choose to be a Christian. I can't choose to believe in something I simply just don't believe in. I don't believe in a Christian God any more than I believe in any other gods. I don't believe in any Gods, so that means I am an atheist. Not that I choose to be an atheist, but that I simply am an atheist.

It's not something you can really choose. You believe in a Christian God and you reject other gods simply because that's what you believe. Even if you tried to decide to become an atheist, until you were to actually stop believing in God, you wouldn't be an atheist.

It's not that Christianity is wrong and atheism is right, it's that when you think all gods/religions are wrong, you are an atheist.

Zombrex wrote: »
    Would it echo a crucification if you had never heard of the story of Jesus' crucification?

These vague passages can echo anything you want once you have been given a context to interpret them by. Basically how horoscopes work.

there are huge parallels between the genesis 22 account of Abraham and Isaac and the crusifiction story of Jesus. this isn't a co incidence of interpreting it in hiddsight and looking for similarities. Exegesis is not Eisegesis.

http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p1s1c2a3.htm#130
    Typology indicates the dynamic movement toward the fulfillment of the divine plan when "God [will] be everything to everyone." Nor do the calling of the patriarchs and the exodus from Egypt, for example, lose their own value in God's plan, from the mere fact that they were intermediate stages.

Good for you, but that's not what the words actually mean and it's not how I'm defining it.
    you are not arguing an atheist position then. You are arguing an agnostic one.
    But I'm not using your definitions.
    My position is based on a lack of a belief in God but like all things can be changed by new evidence.
    This is what I (and people who understand what the words are) define as agnostic atheism.

You cannot use your definitions as the position does not fit into your narrow categories.
    You can claim that it's whatever you like, but it would not be an accurate definition of what the argument is.
    which you cant formally prove.
    Yes, because it's a negative.
    But like the "no milk in the fridge" example we can actually look and see. That however is not formal proof.
    Nor is it positive argument evidence for a negative position.
    Opening the fridge door to see if the milk is there is a test/falsification of the opposing positive position (that "there is milk in the fridge").

But my point is, again, to illustrate to Philologos that asking for positive evidence for a negative position (a lack of a belief in God, aka Atheism) is a non argument.

the following answers

No atheist that I know would assert that there is no such thing as God; they would say that there is no reason to be persuaded that one, of many possibles, does exist and is personally responsible for all of creation.

A proper atheist doesn't believe there is no God any more than you don't believe in tooth-fairies at the bottom of the garden; an atheist just doesn't believe in fairy-tales; we don't have to look for them in order not to find them.

Seriously, apart from bird-song and butterfly-wings, what has God done for mankind? Would there be more bombing and killing and war in the absence of Christianity? In what way would the world be worse off without God?

And it's getting worse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Come on! You're nearly there. Don't stop now.

It can't be reconciled. You made the argument. It's not very cost-effective is it, when the vast majority of the product goes into the fire?

Unless you're producing coal or something, that is.

Statistically speaking, with the existence of the Christian God, I am doomed to eternal suffering in the lake of fire whereas, statistically speaking, I am more likely to have chosen the wrong God.

Anyway, empirically and for pragmatic reasons, man's existence is intimately linked to the arms race; why does God need an atom-bomb?

Of course, God doesn't need an atom bomb but even if He did, He wouldn't want us to have them in the same way that we don't want the Iranians to have them which is really the reason that I don't want my children playing with fireworks.

The world as it is today could only exist in the absence of God.

IMO

Well, I'm not going to defend something I don't agree with. I was simply saying that there are a variety of views on the matter, annihilationism being one. As for myself, I don't believe anyone would be simply consigned to hell for believing in the wrong god. I believe we can hope that Christ's victory over death was so complete that most, if not all, will be reconciled to God in the fullness of time.

Seriously, apart from bird-song and butterfly-wings, what has God done for mankind? Would there be more bombing and killing and war in the absence of Christianity? In what way would the world be worse off without God?

While there would probably be more war, it would probably involve less bombing. More a case of people chopping each other up with machetes due to a failure to develop the scientific method in any systematic manner. No universities etc. would probably have held back technology quite seriously.

The modern habit of using GPS systems to guide bombs would almost certainly never have developed with out the patronage of the Church that enabled Copernicus and Galileo to do their stuff, or indeed the Christian-based worldview which led them to seek for order in the earthly and heavenly realms.

Counter-factual history ('What If') can be quite fascinating, but it has a habit of rebounding on you quite nastily when you try to use it to prove an ideological point (like real history does too).

there are huge parallels between the genesis 22 account of Abraham and Isaac and the crusifiction story of Jesus. this isn't a co incidence of interpreting it in hiddsight and looking for similarities. Exegesis is not Eisegesis.

See! That's what I love about Christianity; we can compare the crucifixion to binding Isaac and building a bonfire around him but we can't compare Christmas trees to the prohibited tradition of taking trees from the forest and adorning them.

Typical; you rebut the claim that there is no evidence to support your claim by claiming that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence; the fact that there is no trace of God's fingerprints goes to prove that God wears gloves. Can His fingerprints be found? No? Ergo, He wears gloves. QED.

What is it about this world that make you think that God exists?

Atheism is not a positive position,

Well that is one point i have continually tried to make. But it isnt positive for society is my point.
    [/quote]
    it is a lack of a belief.
    [/quote]

No it isnt it is a belief of a lack of a God/gods/ supernatural forces!

http://commons.trincoll.edu/aris/files/2011/08/NONES_08.pdf
    figure 1.13 page 11

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/atheism
    a : a disbelief in the existence of deity b : the doctrine that there is no deity

Please understand i/we use these explicit definitions here to avoid fudging

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism
    Definitions of atheism also vary in the degree of consideration a person must put to the idea of gods to be considered an atheist. Atheism has sometimes been defined to include the simple absence of belief that any deities exist. This broad definition would include newborns and other people who have not been exposed to theistic ideas

Some atheists have tried that one here claiming for example Norway is over 70% atheist and trying to include bhudists and one year old children (even then they dont reach 70%). Thats why i use the definition.

so we dont have to get sidelined into:
    While Martin, for example, asserts that agnosticism entails negative atheism,[44] most agnostics see their view as distinct from atheism, which they may consider no more justified than theism or requiring an equal conviction.[54] The assertion of unattainability of knowledge for or against the existence of gods is sometimes seen as indication that atheism requires a leap of faith.[55] Common atheist responses to this argument include that unproven religious propositions deserve as much disbelief as all other unproven propositions,[56] and that the unprovability of a god's existence does not imply equal probability of either possibility.[57] Scottish philosopher J. J. C. Smart even argues that "sometimes a person who is really an atheist may describe herself, even passionately, as an agnostic because of unreasonable generalised philosophical skepticism which would preclude us from saying that we know anything whatever, except perhaps the truths of mathematics and formal logic."[58] Consequently, some atheist authors such as Richard Dawkins prefer distinguishing theist, agnostic and atheist positions along a spectrum of theistic probability—the likelihood that each assigns to the statement "God exists".[59]
    I asked you to give examples of the positive evidence you use to support your negative positions on things you lack a belief in, namely Russell's Teapot and fairies.
    So can you please provide examples of the type of evidence you are looking for, by providing positive evidence for Ateapotism and Afairyism?
    If your request is a fair one, you then should already have this evidence and would have no problems presenting it.

But if you can't show it, please say as much as it shows a flaw in your point.

Russels teapot was created to illustrate the idea that the philosophic burden of proof lies upon a person making scientifically unfalsifiable claims rather than shifting the burden of proof to others.

The problem above is that
    either
    1. YOU are the one saying god does not exist YOU are taking the atheist position.
    or
    2. You are claiming the burden of proof is on theists to prove a negative disprove -the positive evidence you use to support your negative positions- athiesm or Ateapotism and Afairyism. which compounds two logical fallacies proving a negative and shifting the burden the latter of which was ironically the reason russel invented the teapot.

By the way it isnt without counter argument in any case http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell%27s_teapot#Counterarguments
    Philosopher Paul Chamberlain says it is logically erroneous to assert that positive truth claims bear a burden of proof while negative truth claims do not.[8] He notes that all truth claims bear a burden of proof, and that like Mother Goose and the tooth fairy, the teapot bears the greater burden not because of its negativity but because of its triviality, arguing that "When we substitute normal, serious characters such as Plato, Nero, Winston Churchill, or George Washington in place of these fictional characters, it becomes clear that anyone denying the existence of these figures has a burden of proof equal to, or in some cases greater than, the person claiming they do exist." [8]

Another counter-argument, advanced by philosopher Eric Reitan,[9] is that belief in God is different from belief in a teapot because teapots are physical and therefore in principle verifiable, and that given what we know about the physical world we have no good reason to think that belief in Russell's teapot is justified and at least some reason to think it not.[10]

PDN wrote: »
    The modern habit of using GPS systems to guide bombs would almost certainly never have developed with out the patronage of the Church that enabled Copernicus and Galileo to do their stuff, or indeed the Christian-based worldview which led them to seek for order in the earthly and heavenly realms.

When you say 'enabled' do you mean 'didn't try to subvert'?

See! That's what I love about Christianity; we can compare the crucifixion to binding Isaac and building a bonfire around him but we can't compare Christmas trees to the prohibited tradition of taking trees from the forest and adorning them.

I didnt make any claims about chrizstmas trees. As far as I know they arent mentioned in the Bible and are a German Protestant tradition.
    Typical; you rebut the claim that there is no evidence to support your claim by claiming that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence; the fact that there is no trace of God's fingerprints goes to prove that God wears gloves. Can His fingerprints be found? No? Ergo, He wears gloves. QED.

there are huge parallels between the Isaac story and the passion story. christmas trees have nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

What is it about this world that make you think that God exists?
    The answer is in the question.

Go and read a history book.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Festus

Enabled is one way of describing it. Actively encouraged is a better way.
    In modern parlance you could probably use "empowered"

Gallileo made an assertion regarding heliocentricity without proof. The Pope agreed it was a viable theory and suggested he use the scientific method and come back when he had proof before describing it as fact.

He went off and pubished a document arguing the pros and cons of his theory, still with insufficient proof, and made fun of the Pope.

Copernicus had no problem with stating it as a theory awaiting more evidence, and he didn't piss the Pope off so he and his theory were left alone.

Gallileo publically insulted the Pope and was punished for it by being placed under house arrest and having his book banned.

One gets the impression from your assertion that you are spoling for a fight and not really interested in historical fact

• Advertisement

Good for you, but that's not what the words actually mean and it's not how I'm defining it.
    ... I'm not using your definitions.
    My position is based on a lack of a belief in God but like all things can be changed by new evidence.
    This is what I (and people who understand what the words are) define as agnostic atheism.

They are not MY definitions!
    They are established in the literature and in discussion here and on other fora.
    You are entitled to you personal opinion*. dont expect the established definition to change
    to support your personal opinion.
    you cannot use your definitions as the position does not fit into your narrow categories.

that is the whole point oif them in the first place!
    Look. You can believe a kilo is a pound or a pînt is a litre or Pi=3 or whatever you want. People have gone about the task of defining what is meant and continuing to use that definition. That is what I use here. I have no problem in understanding you if you say it means something else so long asd you adhere to the same definition always. You define atheist and agnostic as the same thing. the actual published literature doesnt . But that doesnt matter all I have to do is understand is that you mean what everyone else calls "agnostic" when you use the word "atheist"
    You can claim that it's whatever you like, but it would not be an accurate definition of what the argument is.
    Look we all know you mean "agnoistic" by the dictionary and by official publications and by the accepted definition here. so dont worry about it. You only need to worry when you eventually supply arguments abut atheism i.e. about people who say they believe that there are no God gods or supernatural forces.
    Nor is it positive argument evidence for a negative position.
    Opening the fridge door to see if the milk is there is a test/falsification of the opposing positive position (that "there is milk in the fridge").

My point is that on has to do a test to find out whether the negative is true. One cant logically arrive at it as a formal conclusion unless it is a premise.
    [/quote]
    But my point is, again, to illustrate to Philologos that asking for positive evidence for a negative position (a lack of a belief in God, aka Atheism) is a non argument.[/QUOTE]

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/believing-bull/201109/you-can-prove-negative
    How not to get sucked into an intellectual black hole
    by Stephen Law, Ph.D.

The fact is, however, that this supposed "law of logic" is no such thing. As Steven D. Hales points in his paper "You Can Prove a Negative," "You can't prove a negative" is a principle of folk logic, not actual logic.

Notice, for a start, that "You cannot prove a negative" is itself a negative. So, if it were true, it would itself be unprovable.

Let's sum up. If "you can't prove a negative" means you can't prove beyond reasonable doubt that certain things don't exist, then the claim is just false. We prove the nonexistence of things on a regular basis. If, on the other hand, "you can't prove a negative" means you cannot prove beyond all possible doubt that something does not exist, well, that may, arguably, be true. But so what? That point is irrelevant so far as defending beliefs in supernatural entities against the charge that science and/or reason have established beyond reasonable doubt that they don't exist.

Science has not established that God does not exist!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement