Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unfairly dismissed and now harrassed

Options
  • 10-07-2010 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I worked for my family business and got sacked becuase the owner and my dad are fighting.

I setup the website and all computer related things. e.g business facebook, twitter, website, online shop and the email account i used.

The owner has been given all the logins except for facebook and twitter but since they trusted it with me they have forgotten the logins.

Im p*****d off over how I was sacked etc and dont feel like going back to work for free for 4 hours and talk to my boss and show him how to login in and how to do different stuff and even if I was paid i still wouldnt want to.

What are my legal rights here, can I just ignore the msn, texts, phone calls from my ex boss or do I have to hand back all the logins back?

Im not going to go about the unfair dismisal as it is family but at the same time i dont feel like showing them how to run there business now that iv got the sack.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Work Problems

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 28,046 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Why do you have to show him? If he had the logins he could work it out for himself, and if he had the email address he could change the password. If he can't do it himself he could get someone to do it for him. Its up to you whether you want to be of assistance to him, if you gave him the passwords then he can't expect to keep you on hand as a kind of notebook.

I realise you are annoyed with them, but why not give him the logins - just write them down - tell him that for security he should change them as you don't want to know their passwords, then just move on with your life. Maybe you could say that if he were prepared to give you a decent reference you might be able to remember the logins.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Once you have left your job you are under no obligation to assist your former employer. They should have ensured that they had all the necessary handover done before you were gone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

u sack him back, geez its family business ,

• Registered Users Posts: 25,667 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Once you have left your job you are under no obligation to assist your former employer. They should have ensured that they had all the necessary handover done before you were gone.

Technically true.

However it's a family business - I'm picking the OP's extended family.

OP, you have a choice. You can either continue fighting in the same petty was as your elders are doing. Or you can act more maturely, and facilitate your old boss getting the information he needs. (Just because they're not setting you a good example doesn't mean you have to sink to the same low level.)

If your old bosses's business goes under because of this, it's not just the boss who will suffer, it's also other members of his family who are depending on the income to live on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

You have no obligation to even speak to the employer after you left.

Ask for a glowing written reference on headed paper. Depending on what he writes you can decide whether to give him the passwords.

You might consider asking him for a week's pay seeing as it appears he didn't give you any notice. That might be a bit petty though.

At the very least, see if he is willing to extend some sort of olive branch. If not, don't tell him the passwords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

sacked wrote: »
    The owner has been given all the logins except for facebook and twitter but since they trusted it with me they have forgotten the logins.

That's the important bit of your post. You gave them their logins and if they forgot them it's not your problem. Why were they not given the facebook and twitter logins though?

If it was me I'd tell them I'm available for some consulting to figure out how to get into these systems and I'd give them my rate. It's up to them to take it or leave it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭sealgaire

I wouldn't help them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I would give him the information but not for free, he sacked you after all and forgot the log ins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

Just text him the passwords - end of. No need to help him with anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭D.McC

timetogo wrote: »
    If it was me I'd tell them I'm available for some consulting to figure out how to get into these systems and I'd give them my rate. It's up to them to take it or leave it then.

Best advice on offer. Treat it as a business transaction, quote your price for your time, the skills and knowlegde etc that you have and your ex-employer wants.

Regardless of the family connection, you own this person nothing. They thought nothing of dismissing you, and now they want something you already gave them - FOR FREE!

I had a similar thing happen to me a few years ago. The owner decided that his son would do a much better job than I could.

I behaved in a professional manner about it, had everything the son would need to know about my role and was prepaired to conduct a proper handover. Needless to say, the son never bothered his arse sitting down with me and within weeks I was getting phone calls at all hours.

Evenually, the owner had to bite his lip and pay me far more than he did while I worked for him for this information.

Advertisement