Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lucifer and free will.

• 11-11-2007 1:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭

I remember being taught in school that the greatest gift God gave man was free will, something He had not even given His angels. The bit that I can't understand though is how could Lucifer decide to defy God if he didn't also have free will? Surely that means the angels also have free will? If so, what makes man special? Why did He bother creating us? Is free will a gift unique to man or not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Hagar wrote: »
    I remember being taught in school that the greatest gift God gave man was free will, something He had not even given His angels. The bit that I can't understand though is how could Lucifer decide to defy God if he didn't also have free will? Surely that means the angels also have free will? If so, what makes man special? Why did He bother creating us? Is free will a gift unique to man or not?

I don't know where that teaching came from:confused: Yes angels have free will. Its not unique to man, but it is a gift. What makes us special to the rest of life on earth is that we were made in Gods image.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

JimiTime wrote: »
    I don't know where that teaching came from:confused:
    Christian Brothers' Education
    Yes angels have free will.
    Is there an ongoing incidence of sin among angels then?
    Are angels being condemned to Hell even now for sins committed as a result of having free will?
    Is it possible that over all eternity all angels will have fallen leaving God alone?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

If so, what makes man special? Why did He bother creating us? Is free will a gift unique to man or not?
    Hello Hagar, no angels have free will too. The question of what makes man special brings up a few interesting questions such as:-

- Why did God create Angels AND man. Why not one or the other.
    - Why do we have to live on earth before going to heaven. The angels don't have to.
    - Are the angels also God's children?
    - Are the angels also created in the "image and likeness of God"?
    - Given that we have to suffer in this life and that we have to rely on faith,
    will we be rewarded with something that the angels don't have?
    - I know that the angels are superior to us in nature but does God's grace make us in any way superior to the angels?

God bless,
    Noel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

My take is that Angels have free will.

At one point in time Satan rebelled against God and a whack of Angels decided to join Satan in his rebellion. The Angels exercised their free will at that point in time.

Those that went with Satan were banished from Heaven and now all Angels, both those expelled and those who chose to stay with God, are involved in intense spiritual warfare for the hearts and soul of man.

Angels who fall, we call demons, will not be forgiven, as they have seen the full glory of God and have rejected God.

Man on the other hand can be forgiven.

Angels act as God's messengers and our protectors.

Our uniqueness comes with the fact we were created in teh image of God.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

My take is that Angels have free will.

At one point in time Satan rebelled against God and a whack of Angels decided to join Satan in his rebellion. The Angels exercised their free will at that point in time.

Those that went with Satan were banished from Heaven and now all Angels, both those expelled and those who chose to stay with God, are involved in intense spiritual warfare for the hearts and soul of man.

Angels who fall, we call demons, will not be forgiven, as they have seen the full glory of God and have rejected God.

Yes - one wonders how that's possible, and what it means for Heaven being "dwelling in the glory of God forever"...clearly it is possible to prefer other things, which in turn suggests that it cannot be perfect. Hmm.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Yes - one wonders how that's possible, and what it means for Heaven being "dwelling in the glory of God forever"...clearly it is possible to prefer other things, which in turn suggests that it cannot be perfect. Hmm.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

I think that what happened is that the fallen Angels (demons) desired to be in control, they lost out and now maybe instead of seeking forgiveness, whether or not available, they seek revenge against those whom God loves.

Sounds like a very familiar action.

We do something wrong, get caught, blame it on someone else, refuse to accept responsibility and get mad at the person who punishes us and seek revenge against them.

That's one of the points I was getting at. Since they will never be forgiven, the number of the fallen can never decrease and since more could fall their number can increase. Over eternity it is theoretically possible that every angel will fall leaving God totally alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

That's one of the points I was getting at. Since they will never be forgiven, the number of the fallen can never decrease and since more could fall their number can increase. Over eternity it is theoretically possible that every angel will fall leaving God totally alone.
    I don't think any more angels could fall. The good angels sided with Michael the Archangel and the bad ones with Lucifer so I think they've already made the grade and are not likely to rebel against God now especially now that they know the consequences. The probably didn't before the fall.

kelly1 wrote: »
    I don't think any more angels could fall. The good angels sided with Michael the Archangel and the bad ones with Lucifer so I think they've already made the grade and are not likely to rebel against God now especially now that they know the consequences. The probably didn't before the fall.

I have to agree with kelly1 here. We don't know for certain as the Bible never speaks of it.

But knowing full well the consequences of rebellion against God, I can't imagine anyone rebelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

I have to agree with kelly1 here. We don't know for certain as the Bible never speaks of it.

But knowing full well the consequences of rebellion against God, I can't imagine anyone rebelling.

Have to say, I'm a little uncomfortable with this reasoning. It seems like you are saying that they stay in line for fear of the consequences?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Have to say, I'm a little uncomfortable with this reasoning. It seems like you are saying that they stay in line for fear of the consequences?

You mean treating God like a super powerful mod?

Didn't mean it to come across that way.

We don't have enough information. I could conject that Angels are just very content and happy with what they do in serving God and being in His presence that they wouldn't want to rebel.

There are two excellent novels by Frank Peretti called: This Present Darkness and Piercing the Darkness. Both give Mr Peretti's insight into spiritual warfare. Very good reads as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Why did God create the angels that would rebel against him in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭barfizz

Wicknight wrote: »
    Why did God create the angels that would rebel against him in the first place?

Because he is omnipotent :D

Didn't mean it to come across that way.

We don't have enough information. I could conject that Angels are just very content and happy with what they do in serving God and being in His presence that they wouldn't want to rebel.

There are two excellent novels by Frank Peretti called: This Present Darkness and Piercing the Darkness. Both give Mr Peretti's insight into spiritual warfare. Very good reads as well.
    That would have been the conventional wisdom the day before the Fall, wouldn't it?

If it's novels you want try Black Easter by James Blish. A seriously thought provoking concept.

That would have been the conventional wisdom the day before the Fall, wouldn't it?

If it's novels you want try Black Easter by James Blish. A seriously thought provoking concept.

I would say not, as before the battle, no one knew what an existence without God would look like. They then found out.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

God created the 'bad' angels and the devil in order that he'd have someone to blame for the evil we experience all around us. If he hadn't created them he'd have to accept responsibility (for evil and suffering) himself, something he doesn't even consider.

It is ridiculous to suggest that these angels saw God in all his glory and still choose to rebel, they were created with a mental illness as surely as we'd say that a human was mentally ill if he choose to cut off his arm. They were required to do what they did, it was all part of Gods plan.

Incidentally, was God good before he created the universe and the angels? Good in comparison to what? To himself?

I'd say that God can only be considered good in relation to the evil creatures he has created, a greater goodness can most definitely be imagined, a greater goodness which wouldn't require suffering and doubt. God most definitely can't be considered to be the maximum goodness possible, after all a God who required only an ounce less suffering would be a greater and gooder God.

OP, I really like your point that the number of ('good') angels can only decrease, it is true of course, for exactly the reasons you outline. But God can always create a few more... he can even change history so that we don't notice he had to do this. Even the devil could be made unaware of the fact....

Cheers

Advertisement