Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Career advice for a ex engineer/anxiety prone man

Options
  • 21-04-2014 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,

I completed elec engineering and got a 2-1 three years ago, I'm now 26. I worked for a year but had to a leave a very good yet high pressure IT job and went on the dole. I was totally shot and my mind went to the wall with anxiety/depression symtoms. They were happy with me at work but my memory/concentration went downhill rapidly over a month ending up with me not able to sleep for days on end. My intelligence suffered greatly and I became a full blown idiot. I have been on the dole for two years basically in a mess but I feel like im coming out of it now but no where near my initial brain power. I got 480 in the leaving, 2,1 in elec engineering in UL.

I have never known what I wanted to do in life. I need some advice on a career path. I have roughly 35K saved so I have money to go back to college to learn something that isnt as intense as engineering. I need a relatively easy job lol. I thought I was going insane with the anxiety and then the hard depression...

I think I would like to do something in IT or maybe a wind turbine technician.. Would some recommend a true career professional to me? I'm lost...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭mosii

Hi Mark.I am 48 and to be honest I have no idea what I want out of life for the future,most people don't,no matter what other people say,as I say I have a good bit of life experience,so I know a bit.IF you are a bit stressed about a job etc.try and get an average low paying if necessary job and take it week to week.it takes time to find something to be contented with,i think contentment is the goal in this life as happiness in anything can be a bit of a pipedream .I don't know if this is much of a help,but at the end of the day health is wealth,
    best of luck ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

I'd try and talk though with a counsellor what drove your anxiety/depression.
    It might have been one aspect of the job that you could learn to deal with in a different way . Of it could be the job wasn't a cause at all , but that being anxious/depressed made the job impossible.

So I'd do that first before trying a new course.

For example I felt that I could be / was responsible for a multi million pound release being delayed and went off work sick with severe depression for 3 months.
    I eventually went back to work and could have had my old job back if I had wanted it .

Advertisement