Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Codpeas wrote: »
    Hmmm, if th
    e exchange boundaries on the NGA Access map on the eircom wholesale site are correct then it would appear that these two fall under the Clonee exchange rather than Blanchardstown as they are currently mapped here.

Let me check. Download this to google earth if you have google earth.

248589.jpg

White Lines show that Ongar is split between BDT East, CEE Centre and Dunboyne DEZ to the west.

These maps are often wrong or sloppy ....to say the least. I'd say the west part of Ongar might be covered by Clonee not Dunboyne.

The yellow coloured asset tags on cabinets will contain those letters to confirm their parent exchange. Dunboyne is not being done yet.

Clonee exchange is marked as Phase 1 so the build-out should be complete - which means I've got some more cab hunting to do...

Can I trust those exchange boundaries to narrow the search?
    Not totally, the boundary data can be very slapdash in some areas.

I'll run a check later and will remark anything marked wrong from BLA to Clonee. Yes there are cabs out in Clonee incl in the industrial estates N and S of the Damastown Road north of the N3. Ladyswell Road further east is in Blanchardstown.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Codpeas

A few more spotted on a curious drive home.

53.411571,-6.425829 Damastown (labelled as CEE1 _0502)
    53.402584,-6.438049 Beechfield Close (labelled as CABINET15)
    53.400508,-6.434601 Linnetfields
    53.397435,-6.426189 Manorfields Ave (labelled as CEE1 010A - if memory serves correctly)
    53.39589,-6.429159 Manorfields Drive
    53.389185,-6.428589 Allendale Square
    53.384103,-6.424179 Portersgate View

Labelling wasn't present on all and in a couple of cases I wasn't able to stop to examine.
    I'll try to go back on them at some point to get better info where possible.

StreetView for the old cab on Manorfields Drive is amusing - cab is open and an eircom van parked beside it. :-)

Finglas, WOW, many many thanks to the mapper who updated all those cabinets in one go today.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Do you want the cabinet tags added to the description?

Cabintes near me scheduled for Dec 2014? Colpe Exchange. Cabinets have been there since August 12 and cabled and powered from ESB.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Will I add a cabinet if its not yet in place BUT .........

They have dug up part of the road and ran in the orange ducting cable ,
    They have the bolts in the ground for the cabinet to be put in place but its not yet there ?

Edit : I may of changed the title of the map , sorry , I have added it on for now ,

I took out your instructions on the opening info SB by mistake .

• Advertisement

Mylow wrote: »
    Do you want the cabinet tags added to the description?

Only if you are on foot or cycling and it is convenient, if you are driving by please dont go to any bother or danger over a tag. Tag checking suits some mappers and not others and the tags might not appear for months after a cab anyway as in Galway.

I'd like confirmation of the tags in Stamullen and suspect Colpe ones east of the Dublin road in the new estate though...to see if the parent exchanges are being 'abolished' :)

Will I add a cabinet if its not yet in place BUT .........

If the power and fibre is sticking out of the concreted plinth I will allow it as a cabinet on the grounds that one will surely be there the next time you look. They only pour the concrete when the cabinet arrives in a container in Rotterdam or Harwich, that is how well sequenced the rollout is.

Once the cabinet arrives in Ireland it does not hang around in an eircom store, it goes from Dublin Port to the plinth more or less.

If it is a PLANNING Notice for a cabinet Chalkmarks where a PLINTH is to be dug in I'd rather it was marked ONLY as a PLANNING cabinet as it may never be built....eg as in D4 and D6 where the cabinets seem to be stuck in planning.

But i don't want people travelling around unnecessarily for the mapping project and hopefully that explanation will help. I am not worried about duplicate markers either, they can easily be sorted later. :)
    Edit : I may of changed the title of the map , sorry , I have added it on for now ,

I took out your instructions on the opening info SB by mistake .

An easy fix, happened a few times before. ( its still in the big read only map so I just copy n paste) :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    If the power and fibre is sticking out of the concreted plinth I will allow it as a cabinet on the grounds that one will surely be there the next time you look. They only pour the concrete when the cabinet arrives in a container in Rotterdam or Harwich, that is how well sequenced the rollout is.

Once the cabinet arrives in Ireland it does not hang around in an eircom store, it goes from Dublin Port to the plinth more or less.

If it is a PLANNING Notice for a cabinet Chalkmarks where a PLINTH is to be dug in I'd rather it was marked ONLY as a PLANNING cabinet as it may never be built....eg as in D4 and D6 where the cabinets seem to be stuck in planning.

But i don't want people travelling around unnecessarily for the mapping project and hopefully that explanation will help. I am not worried about duplicate markers either, they can easily be sorted later. :)

An easy fix, happened a few times before. ( its still in the big read only map so I just copy n paste) :)

Would seem that its all set to go ,

248794.JPG

and they have ran power to it too ,

248795.JPG

Quick question , I live in the estate across the road , would our fibre be getting ran from this also or would it run from the cabinet in our estate which is just across the road (100mtrs )

New Cab Location
    https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=200976005490800150654.0004d6a674e6be3826dcb&msa=0&ll=53.166098,-6.787252&spn=4.182646,11.634521&iwloc=0004da00d26d568216248

Old Cab in my estate across the road
    https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=200976005490800150654.0004d6a674e6be3826dcb&msa=0&ll=53.166404,-6.788468&spn=4.182646,11.634521&iwloc=0004da00d26d568216248

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Tried to upload one for Kilkenny there. Followed the instructions and saved it but when I went back into the map it didn't appear. Tried it twice so not sure what I'm doing wrong. Here are the details:

52.6,-7.25 Kilkenny - KNY - Rosehill Estate
    Off footway on southern side of entrance to Rose Hill Estate. Free standing cabinet in shrub verge marked KNY_042A

I'll hopefully get about on the bike over the next few evenings and get some more

Kilkenny. WHEEEEE!!!!! is there at the end ( twice) , the new adds will appear on the last page after you save, they may appear elsewhere while you are editing.

As for the estate in Newbridge, it depends. If your estate was 1km long with 500 houses they might put a cab inside, if small then maybe not.

Each cab has 200 ports and they would want to fill the 200 ports ......ie 200 houses and maybe they eg pass 300 houses to get 200 signups.

• Advertisement

Tried to upload one for Kilkenny there. Followed the instructions and saved it but when I went back into the map it didn't appear. Tried it twice so not sure what I'm doing wrong. Here are the details:

52.6,-7.25 Kilkenny - KNY - Rosehill Estate
    Off footway on southern side of entrance to Rose Hill Estate. Free standing cabinet in shrub verge marked KNY_042A

I'll hopefully get about on the bike over the next few evenings and get some more

I thought I had the same problem ,

If you look at the list of all the cabs on the left hand side , down the bottom you will see page 1,2,3,4........... , more than like you were the last person to add one in and your addition is on page 4 .

The map will only show what page your are on for some reason rather than every addition.

SB got in before me .,

On the amount of houses , I think Belmount has 65 houses and mine (Kilbelin Abbey ) about 70, but Walshestown which is direct behind and to the left of Belmount could have over 300,

Il get out around my neck of the woods in Newbridge and start mapping up as I see activity , the baby is a great excuse for having an aul nose about , her indoors was wondering what came over me today when I said I would take the little one for a Walk

I'd guess there is one inside Walshestown but that your estate shares with the one across the road. Maybe they could get power easier on the far side than on your side is all. 100m is a LOT in VDSL terms. I don't know the planning ratios and precise criteria though but in parts of Kildare and Newbridge (and even Naas) eircom will do really well as UPC are only offering rubbish MMDS TV and have not upgraded to 2 way cable.

I'd guess there is one inside Walshestown but that your estate shares with the one across the road. Maybe they could get power easier on the far side than on your side is all. 100m is a LOT in VDSL terms. I don't know the planning ratios and precise criteria though but in parts of Kildare and Newbridge (and even Naas) eircom will do really well as UPC are only offering rubbish MMDS TV and have not upgraded to 2 way cable.

Id say they will put a cabinet in , they had a ADSL one in both areas so one would presume they will do the same for VDSL , one can only live in hope .

Its going to be a very good market , and be a handy handy handy number for the door to door salesman from Eircom when they have the fibre up and running because everyone will want a piece of the action.

Will save me a fortune driving up and down to D4 most days when in reality with decent broadband a lot of what I do can be done from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭KAGY

Added one for Longford (Church St / Battery Road), just installed 3 weeks ago.

I was assuming that the orange cable being laid along the N4 from Edgeworthstown to Longford Town was fibre and came across this thread while trying to confirm it. I'll keep an eye out for some more.

Id say they will put a cabinet in , they had a ADSL one in both areas so one would presume they will do the same for VDSL , one can only live in hope .

The OLD cabs shown on left in Post #1 are cable cabinets. An ADSL cabinet is 1.5m tall or so, Grey, Double Doored and with vents on top. Never heard of any in Newbridge. Pics appreciated. :)
    Will save me a fortune driving up and down to D4 most days when in reality with decent broadband a lot of what I do can be done from home.

Exactly. The uplink speed in suburbia is a killer nowadays as many suburbanites are 2 miles out from the exchange in the heart of the old town.

The people who REALLY benefit are EG stay at home mums who can get Telework CS jobs, most Teleworkers need 5 down and 1 up minimum to remote a desk and these speeds were not available at those suburban distances. They will be later this year and it will transform many peoples prospects.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

I can see many individuals (designers, programmers, entrepreneurs etc) and businesses benefiting massively from the fibre rollout. :)

The OLD cabs shown on left in Post #1 are cable cabinets. An ADSL cabinet is 1.5m tall or so, Grey, Double Doored and with vents on top. Never heard of any in Newbridge. Pics appreciated. :)

Exactly. The uplink speed in suburbia is a killer nowadays as many suburbanites are 2 miles out from the exchange in the heart of the old town.

The people who REALLY benefit are EG stay at home mums who can get Telework CS jobs, most Teleworkers need 5 down and 1 up minimum to remote a desk and these speeds were not available at those suburban distances. They will be later this year and it will transform many peoples prospects.

I will get a few pics tomorrow ,

Ive seen the double doored grey ones in Athgarvan but not in Newbridge ,

Yes, Athgarvan has one and there are a few around Naas especially north of the M7 but not Newbridge that I know of, get an asset tag if you find one on a yellow sticker. :)

Yes, Athgarvan has one and there are a few around Naas especially north of the M7 but not Newbridge that I know of, get an asset tag if you find one on a yellow sticker. :)

Will do ,

The cable cab outside Belmount is the same as the one in Kilbelin Abbey , Il also check Walshestown tomorrow ,

The baby will be delighted with such a long walk !

Whats the difference between a cable cab and the ASDL cab performance /spec wise ?

Whats the difference between a cable cab and the ASDL cab performance /spec wise ?

A cable cab ( left picture on post one) has no electronics at all.

It is the point where eircom break "E(xchange) Side" 300 pair cables into D Side ( customer ) 100 pairs to your estate across the road and 100 pairs along the road and 100 pairs to the estate beside it.

It is the nearest point to YOUR house where they can pick up the 200 customers they need to fill the VDSL cabinet, after that they can only put 100 customers onto a 200 port cabinet..logically. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

Found 2 new ones in Castletroy, Limerick today. Added to the map.

One of them is across the road from the Hawthorns cab, just in beside the McDonalds drive through.

Seen KN Network working on Mountview Road this morning on behalf of Eircom. Assume they are starting to upgrade that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Codpeas

Seen KN Network working on Mountview Road this morning on behalf of Eircom. Assume they are starting to upgrade that area.

They were at the Blanch Rd end yesterday with their big reel of orange yumminess. :)
    There also appears to be work done at Sheepmoor entrance - there were 'on behalf of eircom' signs on some pavement replacement there. I did the loop from Sheepmoor around to Mountview Rd yesterday and counted eight old cabs easily visible along the way - shouldn't be long before we see new cabs along there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 rorypat

Has anyone heard when Tralee will get the faster speeds?

All the work is finished and I have seen a few of those green cabinets around the town.

rorypat wrote: »
    Has anyone heard when Tralee will get the faster speeds?

All the work is finished and I have seen a few of those green cabinets around the town.

Nobody in Tralee has mapped a sausage yet, any chance you can help then???

Use Yahoo maps if you must.

http://maps.yahoo.com/

Double click in to the precise spot where cab is and copy the entire link up top in a post here. Giz as many as you have. Looks like so.

http://maps.yahoo.com/#lat=53.27077935440895&lon=-9.072936773300171&zoom=19&mvt=m&trf=0

And I'll do the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

-

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Guys, can you please keep this thread on topic.

If your post doesn't relate to this mapping project then please don't post in this thread,

Any further off topic posts will be deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 rorypat

Nobody in Tralee has mapped a sausage yet, any chance you can help then???

Use Yahoo maps if you must.

http://maps.yahoo.com/

Double click in to the precise spot where cab is and copy the entire link up top in a post here. Giz as many as you have. Looks like so.

http://maps.yahoo.com/#lat=53.27077935440895&lon=-9.072936773300171&zoom=19&mvt=m&trf=0

And I'll do the rest.

Sry about the off topic.

These are two I am sure of, I will get some more tomorrow.

http://maps.yahoo.com/map/?lat=52.26491790805455&lon=-9.712571203708648&bb=52.26521502624572%2C-9.713294059038162%2C52.26462078986338%2C-9.711848348379135

http://maps.yahoo.com/map/?lat=52.264999164332245&lon=-9.711329340934753&bb=52.26529628197891%2C-9.712052196264267%2C52.26470204668558%2C-9.71060648560524

They are very close to eachother!. The second is at the "Y" in "Quay". The first would be near the "D" in Dingle. Next to Kerry Group HQ if anyone knows the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

err.. in the "Final" map of cabs all the arklow cabinets are titled "ALW" despite our excahnge code being "AKW" AFAIK

also, are we meant to be mapping the green ones with the crosshatch pattern with the extension boxes on top? Because I've seen two of those iirc

• Advertisement

I'll fix those codes. Do not map the cabinets shown on the left ( with or without a crosshatch) in the first post. They are double doored and contain cables.

Advertisement