Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How come Atheists are against anti blasphemy laws but are OK with bashing other .....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

the_syco wrote: »
    I'll rephrase that:
    How come Atheists are against "laws that prevent you from bashing religions" but are OK with bashing religions.

Hrm...

That's dangerously on-topic syco. Post reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

@Zombrex: I thoroughly enjoyed reading your well laid out post. You refrained from being condescending or angry, which would have been so easy (what I would have done). You must have the patience of a saint patient person. :D

@Oranage2 and Northclare: You really have nothing intelligent to add to the thread. Have you any sensible arguments against the post by Zombrex? I know it would be futile, but maybe you could give it a go?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Northclare -
    Northclare wrote: »
    Wait until the sunflowers start to flower in the summer and figure it out for yourself.
    I've posted publicly and privately about how this forum works, and how its members are expected to engage with each other, but for some reason, you're ignoring forum etiquette.

This is your first public moderator request for you to start contributing positively to the discussion that happening around you. If you don't, you'll be carded. If you continue avoiding contributing beyond that, you'll be banned from the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

Joseph if we were not putting any input into these threads you wouldn't be able to read what Zombrex has to say.

I like what Zombrex has to say he is very insightful and doesn't put anyone down,he is able to hold a discussion and look into what others have to say.

Your lack of interpretation is your weakness.

I'm new to all of this.
    I think myself and Orange are doing ok considering most people are either banned or run out of A+A.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Those willing to engage in debate reasonably aren't.

So far, you have been frankly confusing in your posting style, without any concrete link to what is being discussed.

Oranage2 is being given all the explanations one might need, but still clings to his scientist CT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

@Zombrex: I thoroughly enjoyed reading your well laid out post. You refrained from being condescending or angry, which would have been so easy (what I would have done). You must have the patience of a saint patient person. :D

As Northclare has said, I would rather you not bring your own insecurities out in this thread, the fact that you'd be angry or condescending over somebody opinions shows me that you are a weak and immature person, probably the oldest child though under achieved compared to your other siblings yet still looking for the admiration from a parent that what you do just isnt good enough for.

Now Zombrex has wrote a lot so I'll address his/her post soon.

That's the easy way out Robin banning people.

Robin your lack of understanding the opposite side to your arguments is your lack of esotheric knowledge,or spiritual input,when you choose to ignore me or Orange its a sure sign of fear of the unknown.

Robin you told me you could trust a chief who cant change a light bulb.

I would prefer to eat what I can see rather than eat in the dark.

I believe in science I also believe in spirituality it gives me a double edged sword.

If it was a sword fight I would be able to adapt to the situation fairly fast,but when one side has no edge to his sword he is in a dilemma :)

Like I said, just downright confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Like I said, just downright confusing.
    I wait with baited breath for the brilliant and insightful explanations and evidence from these two...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

legspin wrote: »
    I wait with baited breath for the brilliant and insightful explanations and evidence from these two...

I wait with popcorn for the brilliant and insightful explanations and evidence from these two...:D

Oranage2 wrote: »
    As Northclare has said, I would rather you not bring your own insecurities out in this thread, the fact that you'd be angry or condescending over somebody opinions shows me that you are a weak and immature person, probably the oldest child though under achieved compared to your other siblings yet still looking for the admiration from a parent that what you do just isnt good enough for.

Now Zombrex has wrote a lot so I'll address his/her post soon.

:confused:

Robin your lack of understanding the opposite side to your arguments is your lack of esotheric knowledge,or spiritual input,when you choose to ignore me or Orange its a sure sign of fear of the unknown.

I believe in science I also believe in spirituality it gives me a double edged sword.

If it was a sword fight I would be able to adapt to the situation fairly fast,but when one side has no edge to his sword he is in a dilemma :)

princess+bride+3.jpg

You and Orange2 just want to drag us down to your level and beat us with your experience.

All your talk of purple flowers, light bulbs, eating in the dark and sword fights really has me questioning some things.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

You've just been carded for ignoring a polite request to make a positive contribution to the forum.

Can you please try to post something positive or interesting or funny or witty or thought-provoking or anything which contributes in some way to the forum?

thanks.

- robin.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭sephir0th

Wait until the sunflowers start to flower in the summer and figure it out for yourself.

Explain please how the movement of the flower with the sun shows that the Earth moves around the Sun rather than vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Do you believe the earth revolves around the sun? If so then why? Serious question.

It's actually the Sun revolves around the earth but nice try ;)

I've a question for you - If the world is suppose to be billions of years old than why is it only 2012?

2 little science jokes hope you like them.
    Zombrex wrote: »
    Well imagining the entire process in one go is impossible, it is like trying to imagine how a river can make the Grand Canon or how the Alps can be pushed up by sliding plates. These processes take millions of years, and trillions upon trillions upon trillions of localised events.

Same is true with evolution. It would be impossible to visualise in your head all the mutations required to go from a single proto-cell to a human. But luckily you don't have to.

Just like you can study the effect of a single rain fall on some rock (where only a tiny amount of material is removed) and then extrapolate that out over the entire length of time required to form the Grand Canon, you can look at the individual mutations that happen to an animals DNA.

So far I've no problems with this, I do believe mountains exist and also I do believe that we evolve but through genetic variation. I just dont think it's possible and I havent seen the evidence to say we evolved from some sort of chimp, if that was the case how come we're the only animals that speak. I know other animals do communicate but not through a language.
    Well to be honest I think your only problem is ignorance with what the theory says, the evidence for it and what it explains. It is not really a question of how your brain works.

I would educate yourself to the theory and then see if you still don't accept it or cannot imagine how it can work.

Perhaps ignorance but I call it just not being enough facts to believe in evolution.

Firstly the great thing about science is you don't have to trust scientists. You can trust scientists if you couldn't be bothered to research what they are saying, and to be honest that is what most of us do most of the time. I don't independently research Steven Hawkin's work on black holes, I'm happy to trust that others in his field have done that and if there they are happy I'm happy. I don't independently research how my solid state hard drive works, the theories that go into it, I'm happy that the engineers at Cosair know what they are doing and that I haven't bought a 150 euro paper weight.

But the point is that if you were so inclined you could. Science is an open enterprise. Scientific research is published and it expected that others will independently verify the work.

If a scientist got up and said "I've made this amazing discovery but you can't see it you are all going to just have to trust me" he would be laughed out of where ever he was giving such a ridiculous statement. In fact a chief motivator (other than money which we will get to in a sec) for scientists is showing up other scientists, demonstrating that they have missed something or that they have measured something wrong. This competition is healthy and expected in science. While lay people who couldn't be bothered doing the research themselves might trust scientists, scientists don't trust other scientists.

The second point is that there is in fact tons of money to be made in evolutionary biology. And not just in the "Oh we got a research grant from the local university" kind of way, though there are of course those types of funding. Bio-engineering and genetic engineering are massive industries, and they all rely on the theory of evolution being sound. If it isn't they are in a lot of trouble, pouring billions into an areas that is ultimately a dead end. But of course it isn't a dead end because they wouldn't be putting this money into if it was. It is a bit like solar power. We might be still arguing about the details over what is the best way to get the energy from the sun light. But no one seriously thinks any more that there is no energy in the sun light to begin with.

So there is a lot of money to be made. But also each individual scientist will be motivated both by money (do good research get a better salary) and by prestige. A scientist who making interesting and relevant discoveries is going to do well. It is not in a scientists interest to make stuff up, since as we saw above other scientists will not simply take their word for it. Make stuff up and others will expose you for doing so, and your career (and earnings) will be seriously effected.

Again I cant argue with really, I just have my opinions that there's a science cartel out there.

What do you mean you don't care too much for it? You seem to know very little about it (which again is fair enough, there are lots of things I've very little interest in), so how do you know you don't care too much for it.

I could say I know very little about the Higgs Boson. But it would be a bit silly for me to follow that up by saying I don't care for it that much.

When I said I dont care too much for I meant I dont care enough to put hours of research into looking up evolution or even reading a book. The past is the past, intersting stuff but not vital for me to know what's it about as my life goes on lally dally regardless.

Okay I have to run out for lunch and shall address the rest of the post in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

sephir0th wrote: »
    Explain please how the movement of the flower with the sun shows that the Earth moves around the Sun rather than vice versa.
    No, no! I'm fairly sure that he meant that flowers are proof positive of a deity because, um, they're pretty. Or something.

Why do you never see anyone using the hideousness of the naked mole rat, or the ruthlessness of necrotizing fascitis as proof of deities?

Look at the hideous proof of God's majesty!
    naked-mole-rat.jpg

What do you feed that thing ?

I know other animals do communicate but not through a language.

Plenty of animals 'speak', and use language. Just because they don't use the same method as ours doesn't disqualify it as a language.

Chimps (or bonobos, not sure which) even have different dialects.

Hell, even plants communicate.

Perhaps ignorance but I call it just not being enough facts to believe in evolution.

'Enough'? You're referring to mountains and mountains of evidence as not being 'enough'?

And it isn't a case of 'believing', you either accept the evidence for the idea or you seek to disprove it.

Again I cant argue with really, I just have my opinions that there's a science cartel out there.

Could you expand on this? So far this you've been pretty vague on what this cartel exists for.

When I said I dont care too much for I meant I dont care enough to put hours of research into looking up evolution or even reading a book. The past is the past, intersting stuff but not vital for me to know what's it about as my life goes on lally dally regardless.

If you don't accept evolution, grand. But when you actively seek to debate it, or at least request information on it, you should be prepared to look into the topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

kylith wrote: »
    No, no! I'm fairly sure that he meant that flowers are proof positive of a deity because, um, they're pretty. Or something.

Why do you never see anyone using the hideousness of the naked mole rat, or the ruthlessness of necrotizing fascitis as proof of deities?

Look at the hideous proof of God's majesty!
    naked-mole-rat.jpg
    Star-nosed mole, I choose you!

Star-nosed_mole.jpg
    CiaranMT wrote: »
    Plenty of animals 'speak', and use language. Just because they don't use the same method as ours doesn't disqualify it as a language.
    No, he's right on this one. Language is an entirely human faculty, distinct from simple communication, that contains a syntax and is capable of forming an infinite (in practical terms) number of combinations from a finite number of discrete elements. To the extent of human knowledge, no other species is capable of producing language.

• Advertisement

Sir David Attenborough explains it here.

Now who wants to argue with him?

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Star-nosed mole, I choose you!

Star-nosed_mole.jpg

No, he's right on this one. Language is an entirely human faculty, distinct from simple communication, that contains a syntax and is capable of forming an infinite (in practical terms) number of combinations from a finite number of discrete elements. To the extent of human knowledge, no other species is capable of producing language.

Hmm. Ya learn something new every day.

No other species is able to produce a language.

I think that's a very shallow uninformed statement.

Sure a shoal of mackerel can communicate much better than some people can.

I've a question for you - If the world is suppose to be billions of years old than why is it only 2012?

Just in case that is a serious question - I will give you a serious answer. It is 2012 because European Christians worked out that Jesus was apparently born 2012 years ago - so the year of his birth became year zero. Anything before that is termed B.C = Before Christ, and after is A.D = Anno Domini http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anno_Domini.

This is slowly being replaced by B.C.E = Before Common/Christian Era and C.E. = Common/Current/Christian Era.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Era

For the Chinese it is the year 4709 http://www.chinapage.com/newyear.html

For Muslims it is the year 1433 http://www.al-habib.info/islamic-calendar/islamic-calendar-ummulqura-2011.htm

For Jews it is the year 5772 http://judaism.about.com/od/holidays/a/Jewish-Holiday-Calendar-5772-2011-2012.htm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

It's actually the Sun revolves around the earth but nice try ;)

Nice, now can you answer the question?

Sure a shoal of mackerel can communicate much better than some people can.

Obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Just in case that is a serious question - I will give you a serious answer. It is 2012 because European Christians worked out that Jesus was apparently born 2012 years ago - so the year of his birth became year zero. Anything before that is termed B.C = Before Christ, and after is A.D = Anno Domini http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anno_Domini.

This is slowly being replaced by B.C.E = Before Common/Christian Era and C.E. = Common/Current/Christian Era.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Era

For the Chinese it is the year 4709 http://www.chinapage.com/newyear.html

For Muslims it is the year 1433 http://www.al-habib.info/islamic-calendar/islamic-calendar-ummulqura-2011.htm

For Jews it is the year 5772 http://judaism.about.com/od/holidays/a/Jewish-Holiday-Calendar-5772-2011-2012.htm

I think you missed this bit from Oranage's post:
    It's actually the Sun revolves around the earth but nice try wink.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The souls of babies.

oldrnwisr wrote: »
    I think you missed this bit from Oranage's post:

Yup - I did.

Still - given some of his questions - better to err on the side of caution methinks. Just in case....

• Advertisement

The souls of babies.

Yeah another sick answer.
    Nice one kylith.....good to know the type of sick Muppets that come up with this kinda ****e be careful what you say about that kind of thing you twat.

Advertisement