Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Speed & Ping Test Megathread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

south wrote: »
    705816752.png

9653878.png

Waterford..15mb line.

Turn off the firewall on your router and you will not have packet loss.

9678966.png
    9679008.png
    706167495.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭patrickc

707351931.png

9758798.png

in carlow, the new house ,I'm well happy with that compared to the last gaff

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Calebmcd

Weird i've been trying to get UTV to send me my user name and password, to no avail!

Then i think lets do auto on the modem and but in your old(was with them prior to eircom) BT ones. Now seen as i've gone BT, Eircom to UTV i thought no but they worked no problem!

709310702.png

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Calebmcd

9897574.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

3 ireland mobile broadband meath test taken at peak times hence the slower speeds during the day and after peak i get the whole mast to myself whooo

710138772.png

712094626.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭buttonsflyie

710260641.png

Meath 3mbp with Vodafone, starting to panic,as we both have laptops and only one seems to get a good connection

9961376.png

Dont even pretend to understand this one.

Thanks Guys

Buttons

710260641.png

Meath 3mbp with Vodafone, starting to panic,as we both have laptops and only one seems to get a good connection

9961376.png

Dont even pretend to understand this one.

Thanks Guys

Buttons

You have to install Java on your PC for the packet loss part of the test to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mattman

Ranicand wrote: »

9678966.png
    9679008.png
    706167495.png

DONT TURN YOUR FIREWALL OFF!

i tried that. with it on or off , i got slightly better results with firewall on!

you are at risk if u leave it off.

712404255.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

well your not really....NAT protects you from most attacks. NAT closes all ports from the outside inbound unless you have specifically added a rule to allow the traffic through.

how many people know about nat!

but your right!

anyway..leave fire wall on..

m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Celticfire

10106373.png
    Ranicand wrote: »

10106690.png

712427830.png

Thanks... just did this now and what a difference in the result. I did a ping test last night and 84% of the packets were lost. I was getting huge lag while online gaming but always had a great result from speedtest.net. Hope this cuts down on the lag.

UPC 10meg
    Mullingar

mattman wrote: »
    DONT TURN YOUR FIREWALL OFF!

i tried that. with it on or off , i got slightly better results with firewall on!

you are at risk if u leave it off.

712404255.png

Wrong wrong wrong your PC should have a firewall you don't need one on your router too.

Many poster of here have gone from an F result to an A result by turning off the firewall on the router.

Also you are on Eircom I was talking about UPC routers.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭EricM

Turning the firewall off isnt making your connection any better or faster, its just allowing the test to work. So leave the firewall on.

EricM wrote: »
    Turning the firewall off isnt making your connection any better or faster, its just allowing the test to work. So leave the firewall on.

QUOTE.....
    "Wrong wrong wrong your PC should have a firewall you don't need one on your router too.

Many poster of here have gone from an F result to an A result by turning off the firewall on the router.

Also you are on Eircom I was talking about UPC routers. "

>

so its only for UPC only...your on about..fair nuff..

I have firewall on pc's and router..better safe than sorry!

m.

mattman wrote: »
    QUOTE.....
    "Wrong wrong wrong your PC should have a firewall you don't need one on your router too.

Also you are on Eircom I was talking about UPC routers. "

>

so its only for UPC only...your on about..fair nuff..

I have firewall on pc's and router..better safe than sorry!

m.

A firewall has many settings and the router supplied by UPC has the Firewall set in such a way that it gives a terrible connection for gaming and an F result on ping test.

Unless people know how to configure a firewall the best setting is off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Worst connection i've had so far :(
    716087195.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

717454228.png

Vodafone has been wretched for the last 2 weeks, why pay for a 7 meg connection when all you get is 1.5? By that rational I'll be paying them about €4 for the next bill that comes in the door, and take 7 months to pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭blocparty

id advise people to change servers that they test from, here in cork i usuaully used limerick which gave me barely a meg download and half a meg upload and a ping of 182. i tired irishisptest.com and got 6.92 mb down, 687kb up so i decided to see what if i changed to dublin server on speedtest.net and got

717962692.png

10498818.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭obsydion

NTL 15MBit
    718391724.png
    10530675.png

I was experiencing >60% packet loss before I turned off the firewall in my CISCO router.

Can anyone tell me how I should ping manually from Mac OS X? I've bought up the Network Utility and the Ping tab but need a recommended site and ping number.
    Cheers

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

722541892.png

10810466.png

Just got connected today.....so what does it all mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭kennethk

729386175.png

:mad:
    Can you buy boosters for 3 dongles?? i got a 160g

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

@PerrinV2 : you can surf but slowly , and skype and the like will prob be crap , you can't game on line.

what was the speed suppose to be

@kennethk , in away yes.
    Get one of the 3G wireless routers like the EDimax 6200n , find the best signal in your house/place of living and set the router up there. Have done this for my sister and GF sister . after some testing to find the sweet spot , have a constant 1.5mb down and 400kbs up , ping between 78-120 not bad for a 3G. and they are miles from the nearest mast. many many many miles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

So I got the 30Mb connection yesterday, came with the EPC2425 wireless router/cable modem that a lot of people have been having trouble with and I've been doing some tests. So far I haven't had any of the major problems (connections dropped, router needing to be reset, etc) that other people have.

Here's the speedtest results with my laptop connected to the router via ethernet:
    728883042.png

And connected wirelessly sitting next to the router:
    728879545.png

Connected wirelessly from my upstairs desk, where I use it mostly:
    728888604.png

I accept that you'll never get as good performance as ethernet over wireless, but the main problem I have is with my desktop computer, which also connects wirelessly (A Linksys a/b/g PCI card). The connection it gets varies wildly literally depending on what direction the computer's facing. If I leave it under my desk I get this:
    729856931.png

whereas if I pull it out a bit I get this (and it's usually ~10Mbits, this is the best I've managed to get)
    729855058.png

The ping test results for the desktop are also pretty dire:
    11314331.png

I'm pretty sure the major problem is that the wireless card I have is useless, as it never worked as well as the laptop with my old connection either.

I have a Linksys WRT54GL (DD-WRT) that worked great when bridged with the old netopia eircom router/modem, but from reading the EPC2425 thread in this forum I gather you can't bridge connections with ethernet cables.

So, does anyone have any solutions/advice/suggestions (other than buying a new wireless card, which I'm looking into :p )? If I brought the wrt54gl upstairs, connected it via ethernet to my desktop and bridged it wirelessly to the epc2425 would I get better performance? TIA ..

edit: and sorry for the swathe of speedtest images :/

further edit:

Turning off the firewall did wonders for the ping, now getting:
    11317153.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Thats myself at 5.50pm today.. I check it every few days and ive never seen it below 8mb..

730146160.png
    11332305.png

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Joeface wrote: »
    @PerrinV2 : you can surf but slowly , and skype and the like will prob be crap , you can't game on line.

Thats what I assumed too but lately I've been able to play the xbox online

kennethk wrote: »
    729386175.png

wow that is very bad ??im not sure i suppose you may need to ask 3 about that is your e160g dongle showing a green or blue light when coonected and if so how is the signal in mobile partner connection window??as i see you done the test after midnight which should not be this bad that is extemely bad no other providers in your area no??:mad:

kennethk wrote: »
    729386175.png

wow that is very bad ??im not sure i suppose you may need to ask 3 about that is your e160g dongle showing a green or blue light when coonected and if so how is the signal in mobile partner connection window??as i see you done the test after midnight which should not be this bad that is extemely bad no other providers in your area no??:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭patrickc

731030605.png

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

732632591.png

• Advertisement

3 mobile broadband ...Meath 3.6MB connection speed :D:D

734793723.png

11646111.png

Advertisement