Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym help please

• 31-07-2015 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

Hi,
    Im really not sure if this is the right place to write this but I could really use your help. Ive just started going to the gym for the last 2 weeks- bought a yearly membership and I am going to stick with it. I have a healthy diet and cannot figure out why I cant seem to lose weight so for me this is a bit of a last chance saloon before going to the docters. Im 18 btw.

So in the gym Ive been trying to build up cardio- started from 3k to 5k to 7k to 8k walking on the threadmill currently. I do want to run but honestly dont think im fit enough, it takes me an hour to walk 8k. I also do 20 minutes on the cross trainer and 10 on the bike-the bike kills me. I also swim and try and do 10-15 lengths of the pool. Is there anything else I can do to lose weight in the gym?

I was offered a fitness assessment but I said no because I know how unfit I am..the gym instructors are never in the actual gym so Ive no idea how to use some of the gym equipment and Ive been trying to watch other people to see how they use it without looking creepy :) Is there any videos online or anything that anyone uses?? Thank you so much in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

My diet is-
    Breakfast- An apple, some raspberries/strawberries/blueberries and sometimes a banana sandwich on brown wholemeal bread no butter or anything like that.

Dinner- Vegetables,marrowfat peas,beans and either fish or chicken.

Tea/Supper- If I havent ate the banana sandwich in the morning i have it now or else beans on toast(no butter etc) Or sometimes an egg cooked in low cal spray, beans and onions.

Snacks- blueberries/raspberries/strawberries/apples and/or those pink and white wafer sandwiches that are 42kcals each

I drink plenty of water throughout the day and only eat the 2 slices of bread for fibre. Use low fat milk with tea but very little. All help appreciated :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

It takes me an hour to run 8k ;) An average speed is about 5k per hour so if you can walk an hour at that speed you are well fit enough to try running.

Why dont you try a couch to 5k for running? You can do it on a treadmill and it starts off with just running for 1 minute and walking for 3 minutes repeated for 20 minutes then gets progressively harder, there are apps and podcasts or here is the plain old text plan:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Just concentrate on getting good at 2 things, so for example, do the treadmill and the bike or the bike and the pool, per session. Work up to 100 lengths in the pool and 25k on the bike.

Dont be embarrassed to ask the gym instructors, we all start somewhere.

I often use youtube videos if I am worried I am using a machine badly, often I need to get into using it a bit before I get used to it enough to check my form - just go to youtube and search for the machine name (like Lat Pulldown) to check.

But there is no point randomly doing machines, get a program and work with that.

I used a beginners program I found online for 8 machines, mix of upper and lower body, that got me gently started on it, cant remember the link but the program was:

Leg Extension machine
    Lat Pulldown
    Chest Fly
    Leg Press
    Chest press
    Shoulder Press
    Leg Curl
    Seated Rower

^^ 3 sets of 15 reps each of the above - takes a couple of weeks to settle at what weight suits you, then you get a baseline and work up from there. 20 mins cardio before, 10 mins after (or whatever time suits you).

Its a start anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Do you actually need to lose weight?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

Lux23 wrote: »
    Do you actually need to lose weight?

Yes..Id prefer not to say my weight but I genuinely do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

First off , you need to know how to use the equipment to avoid injury and also to have more confidence when going to the gym that you'll know what your doing so ask at the desk can you book an assessment with an instructor, it will only take around 45 minutes.

If your looking to lose weight , the gym is obviously a great step forward but remember that exercise is only 25% , 75% is going to come from your diet. The gym will builde confidence , stamina and help you loose extra calories but the diet has to be right or you won't see the change or weight loss.

Download myfittnesspal app on the app store and use it to track your calorie intake for the day. To lose weight you need to eat at a calorie deficet everyday, work out what you should be eating to maintain weight first, multiply your body weight by 15 that's around your maintenance level , so say 150 x 15 is 2250, you need to eat around 20/25 percent lower than that each day, so in and around 1800 - 1900 calories a day is your goal.

Also , you need to be eating the right foods. To loose weight I recommend cutting dairy out of your diet, at least low fat milk or soy milk , take the carbs down no white bread , pasta , rice etc eat wholegrain instead, eat chicken , fish , lean meats , veg , fruit (But no too much fruit)...and obviously no take aways , no chocolate , no cake , no biscuits...no rubbish.

Do that and stick with it you'll start to see the weight loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Irishcrx wrote: »
    To loose weight I recommend cutting dairy out of your diet, at least low fat milk or soy milk

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Why?

Just personal preferance lads , I don't think whole fat milk or cheese is great for weight loss.

Feel free to correct me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Just personal preferance lads , I don't think whole fat milk or cheese is great for weight loss.

Feel free to correct me.

Everyone needs fat. Milk is a great source.

Unless you consume a lot of milk, the difference in calories is marginal.

If you're diet needs an overhaul, the choice of milk is way down the list of things to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 thevillaman

Hi the Number one thing in the gym is safety don't be afraid or embarrassed to ask the gym staff for help because that's what they get paid for you should have got an introduction in the gym on how to use the equipment the next time you're in the gym ask the receptionist to sign in for an introduction and for a program one of the staff should put you on the right program that suit you after all you did pay for a year memberships YouTube is a good place to learn about fitness and diet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I'm fairly new to the gym too, OP, and in my gym the fitness instructors are rarely on the gym floor.

I was like you; looking at everyone else using the equipment but not knowing where to start.
    Unlike you, I did sign up for a free assessment every week and my instructor taught me the machines when I asked him to because the way I see it, I've paid a few hundred Euro for a year's membership..I should be told how to use the machines.

You should consider the free assessment, OP.
    Being weighed and measured every week is what gives you motivation to carry on and it's brilliant for your self-esteem when you see you've lost weight.

I do 30 mins bike, 30 mins treadmill, 10 mins cross-trainer and then 10 or 15 mins (depending on rest-times) on the seated machines (lat pull down, chest press, etc).

Diet-wise, it's carbs you should be cutting down, not fat.
    Eating a high carb diet isn't great for weight-loss.
    Keep carbs for either morning or after your work-out.

I generally have an egg for breakfast with toast, large mixed salad with chicken or tuna for lunch, nuts or fruit or cheese for snacks, and dinner will be whatever..Bolognese, curry, Shepherd's Pie, etc, but with veg instead of rice/pasta/spuds.

Fat is nothing to fear. It's essential.
    I use coconut oil for cooking, eat real butter, nuts, cheese, meat, etc and in a month I have lost over a stone.

I also work out 4-5 days a week.

• Advertisement

Hi buddy there's the problem. Cut out the bread. Because in every overweight persons diet. They eat bread, it could be all the fruit you're eating. Because of all the natural sugars. Even over eating too much natural sugars. Can cause you to be overweight. I cut out bread and lost 2stone In 2 months

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Hi buddy there's the problem. Cut out the bread. Because in every overweight persons diet. They eat bread, it could be all the fruit you're eating. Because of all the natural sugars. Even over eating too much natural sugars. Can cause you to be overweight. I cut out bread and lost 2stone In 2 months

It's true that a lot of people are eating far too much bread, but there isn't really a need to completely cut it out. I reckon cutting down is the way to go.
    I still eat bread, but I have it either morning or lunch, never both, and I don't eat carbs in the evening.
    I've lost 19lbs since the end of June.

Some carbs are good for you. Like Rice potatoes. Most carbs are really bad for you. Carbs that are Saturated in fats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Some carbs are good for you. Like Rice potatoes. Most carbs are really bad for you. Carbs that are Saturated in fats

Yes. What? No. What?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Yes..Id prefer not to say my weight but I genuinely do.

Why not? We have no idea whatsoever who you are.

I'll get you started. I'm 6'4", 16.5 stone. Aim to lose two over the next 12 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Hi,

.... Is there any videos online or anything that anyone uses?? Thank you so much in advance.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/ will have more than enough information for a beginner to getting started with. His video's can be viewed on his site and are hosted on youtube. Youtube is full of instructional fitness videos in general.

You seem to be doing enough cardio from what you said you are doing. To build up your running from walking run for 2 mins , stop and walk, till you feel like you can do it again for 2 mins. Repeat over and over. Noting special about 2 min , if it's easy do it for 3 next time. Build it up over gym sessions, you'll be running proper in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 roisin.browne

Hi,
    I had been using the cardio machines for so long in the gym and wasn't noticing much change. After reading up about the benefits of weight training I decided I'd give it a go. But I didn't have a clue how to use any of the equipment and I felt so awkward but I just arranged a session with one of the staff to show me what to do. It was the best thing I could have done. Just remember, you've paid for your membership. There shouldn't be a problem having someone show you how to use machines correctly :)

Advertisement