Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Want a simple program to get stronger?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

What other exercises did you do with your squat?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

K09 wrote: »
    I have been doing this for 3 months now and this past few weeks I have struggled to increase my weights.

My squat is particularly poor - 100kg 1RM; and bench 90kg 1RM.

I am 80kg.

Any advice?
    Thanks!

Yup. Do something else.

Linear periodise different lifts.

Take a break.

Change assistance work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Ha ha hanley I downloaded your training video and plan and I think you call your clients who don't do the exercises pussies about 3 times and claim that your program improves sex life. I like it :D

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Ha ha hanley I downloaded your training video and plan and I think you call your clients who don't do the exercises pussies about 3 times and claim that your program improves sex life. I like it :D

It's true. Pussy in the gym? No pussy in real life.

..."pussy" is such a vile word

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I've been doing the Stronglifts 5x5 for a few months and it's very very simple. I progressed very slowly or not all at the beginning because I had to do a lot of stretching to squat and deadlift properly but now that my form is ok I've been getting a fair bit stronger (I'm still not very strong overall mind you) in the last couple of months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 TommyJoe15

Goin into my second week on this, enjoying it although my legs were in a bad way after the leg day :D

Quick question, using the percentages my bench press this week should be 68.5 kg, however, I can only use either 67.5kg or 70kg as the smallest plates are 1.25 kg. What would the recommended option be here for the 5 sets? Chance 70kg?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 42 TommyJoe15

Goin into my second week on this, enjoying it although my legs were in a bad way after the leg day :D

Quick question, using the percentages my bench press this week should be 68.5 kg, however, I can only use either 67.5kg or 70kg as the smallest plates are 1.25 kg. What would the recommended option be here for the 5 sets? Chance 70kg?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

jive wrote: »
    Yeh I'm doing this program. Doing day #3 tomorrow, il report back after 12 weeks or so. Abroad quite a bit so sometimes have to mash 3 days back to back, but after 12 x 3 days il post up progression and feels

Still doing this. Added 5 kg to all main lifts a few weeks ago and still have extra reps to give on the last set for the main lifts. Body weight up about 4kg since time of posting. Leg day is awful but the other 2 days are grand.

Haven't tested because I don't really care what my 1RM is (in b4 but the program requires it).

TommyJoe15 wrote: »

Thanks

I always go up i.e. 70kg in this case. Doesn't really matter though, don't sweat the small things just do the training.

Bump for a rock solid thread.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Hanley wrote: »

Your comment "That will be €247" gets me every time this thread pops up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Couldn't of been a coincidence that I was looking for this thread yesterday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Couldn't of been a coincidence that I was looking for this thread yesterday?

Providence.

Still doing, still gainings.

Very flexible approach to assistance exercises as I can't be arsed waiting for equipment in the gym.

Also throw in a set for shoulders (usually military or db press 5x8) so the bench day consists of bench, incline db press, military press, 2x exercises of 4x12 for triceps and flyes 4x12. That's right, a case of YNDTP because I've added even more volume. Just to really not to the program I do weighted dips as well usually before db press if I have to weight for a bench.

Legs days are still a bastard. Worked out in a basic gym yesterday so 'just' did the hard bits without the bodybuilder type accessory lifts; squats followed by front squats followed by pause squats followed by regret.

Are you meant to increase the weight on B-E each time that you increase your % of the main lift or keep B-E the same for the 6 weeks?

Are you meant to increase the weight on B-E each time that you increase your % of the main lift or keep B-E the same for the 6 weeks?

Increase B-E if you hit all reps on all sets, respectively. You don't have to wait for the 6 week cycle to finish, just increase so you stay on the correct rep range e.g. If I hit 5x8 with 30kg then I'll move to 32.5kg, might get 3x8 and 2x6; once I get 5x8 I increase again. Progressive overload gains

Push the weight up when you can do the required sets and reps (without compromising form).

B-E should be exercises that complement A so you're looking to strengthen different elements that feed into a stronger A and you won't strengthen them much if you just do the same sets and reps at the same weight week in and week out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Finally getting back to the gym and I'm going to give this a go. I'm going to do 3 days based around bench, squat and deadlift, surprise surprise. Is this usually run 3x a week or more?

Just a question on choosing additional exercises. On bench day, would tricep dips be an acceptable choice on bench day, for example? I know they aren't technically like bench pressing but they've always helped improve my bench. What sorts of exercises do people tend to do for B & C?

Is the main lift A the only one that decreases reps or is it A,B and C?

Finally getting back to the gym and I'm going to give this a go. I'm going to do 3 days based around bench, squat and deadlift, surprise surprise. Is this usually run 3x a week or more?

Just a question on choosing additional exercises. On bench day, would tricep dips be an acceptable choice on bench day, for example? I know they aren't technically like bench pressing but they've always helped improve my bench. What sorts of exercises do people tend to do for B & C?

Everything after A is meant to help you improve Your main lift

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,998 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Is the main lift A the only one that decreases reps or is it A,B and C?

Only main lift. The rest have steady rep schemes, increase load over time to keep you in and around the required reps.
    Main lift progressions:

Plenty of choice for B & C. Wide grip bench, close grip bench, long pause bench, incline bench. Dips as well.

You're looking to do compound-type exercises that work muscles that get worked in a bench but with a slightly different focus. So close grip, for example, is more focused on triceps.

Perfect, thanks for the replies. I was just wondering was the intention to have something like flat bench, incline and decline as ABC. I prefer the flexibility.

Perfect, thanks for the replies. I was just wondering was the intention to have something like flat bench, incline and decline as ABC. I prefer the flexibility.

Flexibility in what sense?

By the way, you're better off sticking with the same B & C for each 6 week run.

Flexibility in exercise choice.

I've no problem keeping the exercises the same either as long as I feel they're working and not hindering progress in the main lift.

Obviously extra arm work would have to be E & D, but what days would they fit? Would that even be useful to add? Same again with core. Are we to assume the compound lifts are doing enough core work or should it be separate?

Obviously extra arm work would have to be E & D, but what days would they fit? Would that even be useful to add? Same again with core. Are we to assume the compound lifts are doing enough core work or should it be separate?

D and E are more like isolation movements that complement the bench so something that works on triceps or shoulders or pecs, for example.

Think skullcrushers, front raises, flies.

You can do core work whenever works for you. Just bear in mind that everything you do outside of the As is to improve the A.

Cool lads, thanks. Simple as you like.

A) Main Lift
    B) Something hard like the main lift 5x8
    C) Something else hard like the main lift 5x8
    D) Something bodybuilder-y that hits the same muslces as the main lift 4x12
    E) Something else bodybuilder-y that hits the same muscles as the main lift 4x12

Main lift progressions:
    70% 5x8+
    75% 5x6+
    80% 5x5+
    85% 5x4+
    90% 5x3+
    95% 5x2+

...then do it all again with 5kg more, and retest. You should be easily tripling (and more) the starting 1RM inside of the 10-12 weeks

B/C/D/E change to something else after the first 6 weeks too.

The last set on the main lift is "+" which is "as many reps as you can do, without failing".

Most of you won't do this for the next 12 weeks tho. Despite claiming you want to be stronger.

Ya know why? Because the grass is always greener, and the above is REALLY hard work.

But there ya go. It's there if you want it.

I'lol shortly be at 95% for 2 reps at week 6. Being a 12 week program, do I add the 5kg to my 1RM and rework out the percentages again and start back at 5x8?

I'lol shortly be at 95% for 2 reps at week 6. Being a 12 week program, do I add the 5kg to my 1RM and rework out the percentages again and start back at 5x8?

Yah or might be better to add 2 reps to each set for the first 3 weeks, and 1 rep to each set for the second 3 weeks (on the As only)

• Advertisement

Yah or might be better to add 2 reps to each set for the first 3 weeks, and 1 rep to each set for the second 3 weeks (on the As only)

As in start back at 5x10, 5x8, 5x7 then 5x5, 5x4, 5x3?
    Is that with the 5kg added to the max then recalculated?

Advertisement