Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Calorie deficit when lifting - good or bad?

• 11-08-2015 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭

For about a year, I have been bulking. I have been lifting heavy weights and have a calorie surplus. I noticed that my belly was getting bigger (it was always biggish) but the extra calories made it bigger.

Now I am still lifting (not as heavy) weights. But I have cut down my calorie intake, probably a defecit.

I am doing this because I want to maintain my muscle but trim some body fat (to expose my newly built body and shrink this darned belly). I have been told that lifting is better than cardio for this.

I've also been told lifting on a deficit can actually shrink a body.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭cmyk

Now I am still lifting (not as heavy) weights. But I have cut down my calorie intake, probably a defecit.

Why not as heavy? Try to maintain your strength for as long as possible while eating at or under maintenance (preferably under).
    I am doing this because I want to maintain my muscle but trim some body fat (to expose my newly built body and shrink this darned belly). I have been told that lifting is better than cardio for this.

Lifting while maintaining, or in some circumstances, improving strength should be a priority, nothing wrong with some cardio too but you've got to balance your recovery/work capacity/strength as you're effectively not feeding yourself enough.

Is that not your goal ; ) You're nutrition is going to be the biggest driver of fat loss, so work on strength and spend the rest of the time making sure your nutrition is dialled in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Never stop lifting. You lift during the bulk to grow the muscle, you lift during the cut to keep the muscle.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,551 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You may get to a point where it's hard to lift the same weight as you did before when on a deficit but don't drop the weights now as some sort of pre-emptive measure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

So my question now is, should I still be eating a surplus (or even an even amount) of calories because I'm lifting? Is it always better to eat lots when lifting?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,551 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

So my question now is, should I still be eating a surplus (or even an even amount) of calories because I'm lifting? Is it always better to eat lots when lifting?

It depends on your goals.

But if you want to trim some body fat and maintain muscle, run a deficit and continue to lift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,013 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You were eating lots because you were bulking, weights had nothing to do with it.
    If you are cutting you want to eat less, again weights don't have anything to do with this.

Mellor wrote: »
    You were eating lots because you were bulking, weights had nothing to do with it.
    If you are cutting you want to eat less, again weights don't have anything to do with this.

If this is true, then my knowledge of weight lifting has been wrong.

When bulking, I lift heavy weights and eat excess calories to fuel the repairing of my muscles.

When cutting, I want maintain muscle but reduce body fat. To do this, I use weight lifting to burn fat yet build just enough muscle to maintain my previous work.

If this is true, then my knowledge of weight lifting has been wrong.

When bulking, I lift heavy weights and eat excess calories to fuel the repairing of my muscles.

When cutting, I want maintain muscle but reduce body fat. To do this, I use weight lifting to burn fat yet build just enough muscle to maintain my previous work.
    Bulking = requires excess calories
    Cutting = requires a calorie deficit
    It's that simple.

It's not "better to eat lots when lifting". Your goals determine what you eat, not the fact you are lifting weights.
    If you eat lots when you are cutting, you aren't going to get very far.

Mellor wrote: »
    If you eat lots when you are cutting, you aren't going to get very far.

But I said this.

But I said this.
    But then you asked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

When cutting you aim to maintain as much strength and muscle as possible.

So I wouldn't alter my lifting program too much, I would lift the same weights as I begin the cut and try to maintain that or even increase it as I normally would if my body and muscles would allow. If it got to a point where I couldn't say deadlift the same ammount I was and was struggling because of energy , then I would reduce the weight by 10-15 percent and continue...do not just start cutting and drop your weights by a large amount because you will loose more muscle.

The idea when cutting and keeping what you've earned is too still lift heavy , by doing this your body is going to send the available proteins and calories still into your muscles as they are needing repair from the work out even though you are eating less, then it will look to take the required calories/energy from what's now available ie (Your fat cells) your belly , anywhere it can that's how you lose the weight in them areas and get lean.

If you are not stressing your muscles your body will more than likely take more muscle instead of fat because it's not being worked and long term you will lose more muscle.

You will always lose some anyway, but this is how you minimise that loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

What were you told? that if lifting on a deficit you would lose more muscle mass than if you were not lifting?

The orginal question would have been better as "Lifting when on a Calorie deficit - good or bad?"

which would mean you would not have asked "should I still be eating a surplus (or even an even amount) of calories because I'm lifting?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

I have been on a calorie deficit for 4.5 months now. My diet is extremely clean and have been fasting a full day every 4th day.

I have put on more muscle during these 4 months that I did the previous 4 when I was on a surplus. I have gone down a waist size in my jeans. My obliques are beginning to show though and just a matter of time before the abs start to show to.

Now I'm not pushing fasting I'm just showing that I have put on muscle on a calorie deficit. Why? Because I was overweight. My body is getting the extra calories it needs to grow from the fat in my body. I don't need to be on a surplus to make gains.

So, you need to go on a deficit. Go on it AND put on muscle at the same time. Don't aim to maintain. Aim to grow. If you 'think' you can't make gains on a deficit then you wont. Mix up your routine. If you feel a lack of energy when lifting and can't lift as before just do more volume. Add in more sets with lighter weights, for longer.

I am now able to do dips, pull-ups ( just a few ) , body-weight exercises that I couldn't do before due to the drop in body weight. My workouts feel much more effective and has helped me make gains this summer whilst 'cutting'.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

You can definitely gain muscle on a deficit (somewhat you are losing mass and some will be muscle), I am. But mostly you should just lift to retain it.
    Weight training stimulates your central nervous system, which makes better use of the muscles you already have also.

Advertisement