Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I believe

Options
  • 26-11-2011 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

I posted this in the After Hours forum but then seen this forum and thought that people might be interested in discussing it here. It is nothing new or insightful to a lot of you. It is an unpopular opinion and is simplistic but I think that if society respected contribution rather then expect it we would all be better off.

Religion has been so fundamental in the formation of society to date. We really need to remove religion from education (for a start) if there is to be any hope for a fair society. The idea that we are all inherently good creates the platforms for corruption in the world. If humans where inherently good and fair then we would not need referees in sports.

I don't feel that anyone has any natural obligation to contribute to society in any way. I agree that society and civilization makes sense but the goal posts are continually moved and therefore erode our freedom.

I believe that humans have no more significance then any other creatures that has evolved on this planet. I also believe that we have the same natural entitlements as any other creature. A persons value is not their contribution to society.

Religion, good and evil are just the natural rules that have evolved to maintain order and control in society and people will always endeavor to corrupt any organisation or agreement for their own means.

I also believe that it does not matter as its all random bollox to keep us busy while we survive and procreate like any other organisms on this planet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I think there may already be a thread like this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I believe that humans have no more significance then any other creatures that has evolved on this planet. I also believe that we have the same natural entitlements as any other creature.
    so if you had the choice of saving the life of two badgers or one human...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The answer might be different if you asked the badgers. :)

I suspect he means "significance" on a cosmic level.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Which human ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

How fond of the badgers am I?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Have any of these badgers bitten a creationist recently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Humans rule!

No, really.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

04-p26-1.jpg

I think the poor human might be out of luck, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Plumpynuter

04-p26-1.jpg

Doom, I think that swung it for the Badgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

04-p26-1.jpg

That cute thing is all part of their evil plan, you let your guard down and then bam, badger rampage!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

bluewolf wrote: »

Kill it! Kill it with fire!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Depends.

These badgers?
    article-1167725-044CC22A000005DC-607_634x463.jpg

Or this one?
    badger.jpg

Because I'll be damned (heh) if two of the first ones aren't cute enough to save.

Oh, and deftly done, 2/14 posts about the topic.

Derailment complete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I wouldn't mess with that last badger. He can probably save himself at the expense of some human's face.

Advertisement