Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Converting gun barrel oil heating system to gas heating

Options
  • 29-11-2014 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks

Looking for some advice have a 3 bed semi d with oil heating 8 rads timber suspended floors, the gun barrel metal system is quite old, looking to convert from oil to gas.

I imagine I would need to replace the whole piping system is this right?

Any ideas on costing and duration of a job like this?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

kilburn wrote: »
    Hi Folks

Looking for some advice have a 3 bed semi d with oil heating 8 rads timber suspended floors, the gun barrel metal system is quite old, looking to convert from oil to gas.

I imagine I would need to replace the whole piping system is this right?

Any ideas on costing and duration of a job like this?

Thanks

If you were to change all pipework and rads you'd be looking at 6-7k including a new boiler

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Thanks for that I was under the impression I would have to change the pipes and rads if not that would be great just change the boiler and get connected to the mains

• Registered Users Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

kilburn wrote: »
    Thanks for that I was under the impression I would have to change the pipes and rads if not that would be great just change the boiler and get connected to the mains

It depends on how old the pipes are. Usually 30 years for gb. If you are staying with them, make sure your system is properly powerflushed and a magnetic filter is fitted at the new boiler

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

As far as I know the pipes are original from the 70s so that would put them well past 30 years old

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I don't think much gun barrel went in in 80s so it must be over 30 years old. If it really is gun barrel and there is any doubt at all about the quality of the piping, I would be inclined to replace it. It is expensive but it is a really good investment because it will save you having to pull the house to bits again in the future to do this essential upgrade. Dodgy plumbing will cause headaches in all directions, with boiler heat exchangers, pumps, hot water and eventually leaks. A magnetic filter is a good idea but it is another cost item. It would be better to put the money toward getting rid of bad pipework if you can afford it at all.

It is also a good idea to replumb with bigger radiators than you currently have, to get the maximum efficiency out of the boiler. Really needs advice of a plumber on-site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Even if O.P. goes for a full re-plumb, I would still recommend the installation of a Mag filter. The benefit would always outweigh the additional cost of the filter.

Advertisement