Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A decent SatNav

• 02-09-2014 12:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone care to recommend a decent SatNav, say less than €200?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Google Maps in Europe and Apple Maps in the US. Honestly. A smart phone and data plan would stand to you far better than any GPS on the market in my opinion. There are free Apps such as NavFree (Completely offline and no need for data) which I've used extensively in Ireland and the US.

Dash mount GPS will go the way of the cassette and floppy disk in the next 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

i have the budget garmin… (£69.99) in uk…. its absolutely excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

I've been using a tomtom start 25 for the last two years, never let me down yet.

http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/products/car-navigation/start-series/start-25-europe/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

+1 for the NavFree app, excellent if you have an iPhone or an Android.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

ironclaw wrote: »
    Dash mount GPS will go the way of the cassette and floppy disk in the next 10 years.

^^ I'd say a lot sooner than that ^^. Many new cars come with GPS / SatNav incorporated (even if they are a pain to update) but soon new cars will be connected to the internet in their own right and online maps will be the main source of info.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭micks_address

I agree google maps is excellent but data roaming makes it costly to use in the UK

I bought a Sat nav app for my htc one called sygic, worldwide maps lifetime updates for 39 euro.. the htc's screen is nearly as big as most standalone nav units.. you can download the maps to sd card (about 50 mb for ireland, 350 for Uk) It seems like decent enough software

That being said I am looking at maybe adding a double din stereo to my car with nav built in.. but they are pricey...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

TomTom Western Europe for IOS is €55. I bought it recently for €45 because it was on sale.

It's absolutely excellent in terms of functionality, updates automatically and doesn't require any data. I drove 3700km around France in July and had no problems whatsoever

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

ironclaw wrote: »
    Google Maps in Europe and Apple Maps in the US. Honestly. A smart phone and data plan would stand to you far better than any GPS on the market in my opinion. There are free Apps such as NavFree (Completely offline and no need for data) which I've used extensively in Ireland and the US.

Once you go outside the main towns you will find 3G data coverage to be sporadic and basically this idea may work for navigating around Dublin and even the the 3G in Ireland terrible. It is far better and more reliable to have an offline mapping system or else have the maps stored on the phone itself so the phone could be used while out of coverage or roaming in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I don't think Apps or even Nokia Here+ maps come anywhere close to a dedicated Sat Nav in terms of functionality or ease of use.

I took one of these with a rental last week & found navigating by voice command a terrific feature.

http://www.halfords.ie/sat-nav-audio/sat-nav-gps/sat-nav/garmin-nuvi-2597-lm-full-europe-5-sat-nav

• Advertisement

I have a Garmin Nuvi 40, I think. Halfords have a Nuvi 42. I presume this is the newer version of the one I have.

I paid €99, and this one is €99, so I'm guessing it's just the updated version of mine.

http://www.halfords.ie/sat-nav-audio/sat-nav-gps/sat-nav/garmin-nuvi-42-lm-western-europe-4-3-sat-nav

Anyway, I really like mine. It's been great, and has paid for itself time and time again. I have google maps on my phone, which is also decent, but once you go somewhere with poor coverage, or cross into Northern Ireland, you're generally fecked. The Garmin, on the other hand, has never let me down.

I'd highly recommend it. Only downside is the battery life is only about an hour, so you need to have it plugged in (to the 12v socket in the car) pretty much constantly. However, in it's defence, everyone I know with a Sat Nav (of various makes) seems to have the same problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Having been stuck outside manchester with data roaming refusing to work going home when I was running late for a ferry in holyhead while trying to find m56.

There is alot to be said for offline satnavs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Having been stuck outside manchester with data roaming refusing to work going home when I was running late for a ferry in holyhead while trying to find m56.

Yep, and thats why TomTom for iOS is great. Works entirely offline.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Stinicker wrote: »
    Once you go outside the main towns you will find 3G data coverage to be sporadic and basically this idea may work for navigating around Dublin and even the the 3G in Ireland terrible. It is far better and more reliable to have an offline mapping system or else have the maps stored on the phone itself so the phone could be used while out of coverage or roaming in Europe.

Same in the major cities in the US e.g. NYC, LA and downtown San Diego. Hence why NavFree is my primary. That said, GPS coverage can begin to get bad in high rise location (A complete non issue in the UK and Ireland)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

That's why you should use navfree, download the map before you go, completely offline after that.

Works perfect in the U.S. And Europe, haven't tried it anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

I want to get a cheapy one for a driving trip around Scotland. Would people recommend Garmin over Tom Tom or vice versa? Or are they both pretty similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I want to get a cheapy one for a driving trip around Scotland. Would people recommend Garmin over Tom Tom or vice versa? Or are they both pretty similar?

From having both I'd pick the Garmin, I found it to be a nicer unit with better mapping for rural areas. It also has a much better suction cup.

My experience of tom tom is of an older unit however, maybe they have improved since.

I've recently picked up another garmin though and I find it to be a great unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've had Tomtom XL and really liked it. Nowadays just use my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I agree google maps is excellent but data roaming makes it costly to use in the UK

I bought a Sat nav app for my htc one called sygic, worldwide maps lifetime updates for 39 euro.. the htc's screen is nearly as big as most standalone nav units.. you can download the maps to sd card (about 50 mb for ireland, 350 for Uk) It seems like decent enough software

That being said I am looking at maybe adding a double din stereo to my car with nav built in.. but they are pricey...

This would be of interest to you so

http://www.halfords.ie/sat-nav-audio/car-audio/dab-radios-car-stereos/sony-xsp-n1bt-double-din-smartphone-cradle-receiver

I have the single din version and it's excellent. I tried out the double din and a HTC will fit in the cradle, obviously the Xperia fits a little better and has charging support but they have a spare usb for other android phones.

Another option would be Pioneers AppRadio, had one in my last car and used it with the Iphone. Again it was excellent. They now do an android version too.

Advertisement