Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

does anyone run a herd of hereford sucklers

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I have a few hereford x cows, v good on mothering, longeviety but the white head weanling is not a great seller in the mart.

There's a lad in Scotland crosses over and back between angus and hereford, Robert parker is his name. If you google robert parker+ Nuffield scholar you can find out more. I hear the guy in the north with stabiliser cattle bought bulling heifers off Robert Parker last year;)

Here I have mostly aa x cows.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Angus4life

ill try and get fotos lads im not what u wud call great at this technical stuff. but these wudnt be show calfs :P but yano good weanlings u grade if ya get me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 159 ✭✭kermit_the_dog

blue5000 wrote: »
    I have a few hereford x cows, v good on mothering, longeviety but the white head weanling is not a great seller in the mart.

There's a lad in Scotland crosses over and back between angus and hereford, Robert parker is his name. If you google robert parker+ Nuffield scholar you can find out more. I hear the guy in the north with stabiliser cattle bought bulling heifers off Robert Parker last year;)

Here I have mostly aa x cows.

have you ever crossed a limousin to an angus cow , i know someone who doesnt like pulling charolais , he puts a good limousin bull on angus + angus x limousin cows , he doesnt get as much for the limousin angus weanlings as the charolias producers but he isnt too far behind

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

have you ever crossed a limousin to an angus cow , i know someone who doesnt like pulling charolais , he puts a good limousin bull on angus + angus x limousin cows , he doesnt get as much for the limousin angus weanlings as the charolias producers but he isnt too far behind

I use a blonde bull on the majority of the angus cows, also an aubrac on the smaller first calvers and heifers.

Have a few lmxAA cows, they throw a nice calf with the blonde bull. Only one fr x lm and she gets angus for replacements.Picture of her here with this year's angus bull calf File Type: jpg DSC_1446.jpg

I stopped using limousin ai years ago after getting stuck to a wall by a limousin bull........:eek:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 159 ✭✭kermit_the_dog

I use a blonde bull on the majority of the angus cows, also an aubrac on the smaller first calvers and heifers.

Have a few lmxAA cows, they throw a nice calf with the blonde bull. Only one fr x lm and she gets angus for replacements.Picture of her here with this year's angus bull calf File Type: jpg DSC_1446.jpg

I stopped using limousin ai years ago after getting stuck to a wall by a limousin bull........:eek:

blondes eh

are they easier calved than charolais , thought they were quite leggy and so not that mature for the weanling trade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭The Real Elmer Fudd

There is a fella in the north producing some seriously good cattle, mainly breeding with Belgium Blue and Limousin. However, he has crossed a few of the heavily muscled heifers back to angus and has some pictures of them on his website if anyone is interested. If you google Jalex herd you'll find the website or follow the link below

http://www.jalexherd.com/id-158

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

dont think that pic came thru right blue? are the calves dark in color?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Angus4life

do u not get a brown colour on them had one heifer used a blonde bull on her threw a smashing calf but was brown :p gunna keep her and give her a different bulll and see what colour it comes :P

Advertisement