Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good bike for a newbie

• 20-02-2015 10:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of buying a bike but other than knowing how to ride one, I don't know the first thing about them. My last bike was one I cycled as a teenager which didn't have gears, and I'm now in my 30's. So I'm very out of practice and I've never ridden a bike with gears.

I'd just need a bike for short commutes to work (less than 2 miles each way) on a fairly flat surface with the odd incline, and that's about it. Ideally I'd like something that requires little or no maintenance and that can support my 16.5 stone weight.

I also don't want to spend a lot of money, less than €200 and I can't avail of the cycle to work scheme. I saw Halfords have a number of mountain and commuter style bikes for less than €200 but I don't know how good or bad the bikes are.

Any advice for brands/shops to check/avoid and so on?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Cyclewizard

Second hand for that price check adverts and done deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Second hand for that price check adverts and done deal

So the Halford's ones for under €200 are not worth considering?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

This looks ok for the money - http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes-and-classic-bikes/apollo-transfer-mens-hybrid-bike

Apollo is not a good brand but it's got (very basic) shimano gearing. They don't state how they get the 18 gears but I'm sure it's 3x6 - 2x9 would be much fancier.

Steel frame so a bit heavy but who cares. Rigid fork is a good thing IMO, especially at this price range as a suspension fork for <200 quid is going to be a piece of crap.

You'd get significantly better going second hand.

Whatever you do, get a decent u-lock or you'll be looking for a new bike again in a few weeks unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

quozl wrote: »
    This looks ok for the money - http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes-and-classic-bikes/apollo-transfer-mens-hybrid-bike

Apollo is not a good brand but it's got (very basic) shimano gearing. They don't state how they get the 18 gears but I'm sure it's 3x6 - 2x9 would be much fancier.

Steel frame so a bit heavy but who cares. Rigid fork is a good thing IMO, especially at this price range as a suspension fork for <200 quid is going to be a piece of crap.

You'd get significantly better going second hand.

Whatever you do, get a decent u-lock or you'll be looking for a new bike again in a few weeks unfortunately.

Unless you want your heart broken stay away from ane bikes at this price point, go 2nd hand..

Advertisement