Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

That turbine is a fine pole

Comments

Wow a VAWT that doesn't produce any useful power, what a shocker. :rolleyes:

I get very dissapointed when I see siting of RE by the spreadsheet. Half the roadside PV and windy's I see have severe shading or turbulence issues. Sometimes they add a second PV module because the first isn't performing as expected and then they shade the lower one with the new one. facepalm.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

I get very dissapointed when I see siting of RE by the spreadsheet. Half the roadside PV and windy's I see have severe shading or turbulence issues. Sometimes they add a second PV module because the first isn't performing as expected and then they shade the lower one with the new one. facepalm.gif

but but but it look lovely beside that tree :)

If you wanna see a true abortion of renewable technology check out solar roads.
    $2 200 000 non-refundable raised from gullible yanks.
    A country wide outdoor heater in the Winter?! Yup, that sounds ecological alright.

http://www.solarroadways.com/intro.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

+1

Always amazed when I see a couple of wee hybrid wind/PV beasties installed in a council estate a few mile from me, over 2m below the level of the surrounding roofs. Sun gets to them in the afternoon maybe 4 months of the year and the turbines stutter around every now and again.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

323 wrote: »
    +1

Always amazed when I see a couple of wee hybrid wind/PV beasties installed in a council estate a few mile from me, over 2m below the level of the surrounding roofs. Sun gets to them in the afternoon maybe 4 months of the year and the turbines stutter around every now and again.

We don't tend to build houses in windy places. Micro wind doesn't make a whole lot of sense in a lot of places. PV, on the other hand, does.

• Advertisement

Yeah. PV is the business alright...pity it's so feeble in the Winter.
    Cheaper by the watt. Solid state. Less control electronics. Negligible maintenance.
    I'm a fan of micro wind but I'm only sticking at it because I'm stubborn. If I tripled or quadrupled on PV it'd probably be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

PV panels plated onto turbines is the way to go :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,241 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If you wanna see a true abortion of renewable technology check out solar roads.
    $2 200 000 non-refundable raised from gullible yanks.
    A country wide outdoor heater in the Winter?! Yup, that sounds ecological alright.

http://www.solarroadways.com/intro.shtml

That was all over my facebook feed, people liking it and loving it saying how it'll solve all our problems. no mention of kw/sq m , €/kw, etc

Advertisement