Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

@AdMMM: clean your rims and pads, maybe abrade the pads a bit with sandpaper, nutmeg grater or something to break the surface in a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Lumen wrote: »
    Thanks Ghandi. Lets just lie down IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FUKHIN' LAY-EN and invite them to drive their horses taxis over us.

yeah good luck with that, life is stressful enough without letting someone ruin your day for beeping at you, enjoy your cycling and keep out trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

manafana wrote:
    by engaging someone like that your just as bad as them, best way to deal with these things is to be polite and not shout, otherwise arnt you part of the problem.

As bad as them? Hmm, I doubt that - for one thing I'm not prone to acts of casual disregard towards others which at best are passive aggressive and at worst verge on aggressive violence.

Is shouting the best way to deal with them? No, it's certainly not, usually. Politeness is not always the best option either though, particularly when someone is yelling abuse in your face with body language that clearly is designed to threaten.

Having said that, I tend to aim for politeness generally, but am happy enough to settle for disdain when I fall short. Sometimes I even fall well short of disdain and resort to shouting back, and those incidents are the ones that leave me feeling bothered and disappointed in myself afterwards because that's not how I like to deal with any situation. I'd like to be like the Dalai Lama, for example, as I imagine he has developed the inner peace, maturity, and self awareness, to deal with any situation with calmness, patience, and thought. But I'm a flawed individual like most of us are and I don't deal well with every situation. The antagonist this morning is a flawed individual too, but he articulates his flaws in the form of outright hostility and aggression, thankfully I'm not *that* flawed.

manafana wrote: »
    yeah good luck with that, life is stressful enough without letting someone ruin your day for beeping at you, enjoy your cycling and keep out trouble.

I generally cycle in a blissfully stress-free manner, but that doesn't preclude the odd rant.

Can you not be shouty and relaxed at the same time? It's in the "be more Italian" subset of my personal development goals.

• Administrators Posts: 53,356 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

How easy is it to change brake cables?

I have an old crappy halfords bike in the shed, going to take it out and fix it with a view to using it to commute and quick runs to the shop. It's cheap and crap so I'm not really worried about theft etc .

It hasn't been used in about 2 years. I know it needs 2 new tubes and the back brake cable is frayed and loose etc. How difficult is this to replace?

Is there anything else I should check?

Seeing as I've never done this before, would I be better dropping it into the LBS?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

I thought we weren't allowed talk about commuting in this forum......

@awec piece of cake. Probably a good idea to do outers at the same time as inners.

The Park Tools website is good for instructions.

Proper cable cutters make cutting the outers much easier, particularly with gear cables (but Park Tools themselves are unnecessarily expensive).

• Administrators Posts: 53,356 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

@awec piece of cake. Probably a good idea to do outers at the same time as inners.

The Park Tools website is good for instructions.

Proper cable cutters make cutting the outers much easier, particularly with gear cables (but Park Tools themselves are unnecessarily expensive).
    I don't mind attempting it myself on this bike because as I said it's crap and I'm not worried about damaging anything.

It's this thing here:

bike

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Can we get a new sub-forum for doozerie's raving posts? :pac:

buffalo wrote:

Who are you calling raving, infidel?

41786_4878345899_7504_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

buffalo wrote: »

Is that not what the proposed Cycling Commuter forum is for
    :D
    I'm sure doozerie can have his own sticky in it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I thought we weren't allowed talk about commuting in this forum......

Oh, not yet. We've got 4.5 weeks to talk about it as much as we can before we have to shut up...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Ryath wrote: »
    Is that not what the proposed Cycling Commuter forum is for
    :D
    I'm sure doozerie can have his own sticky in it

We'll have to have a vote on what to call it, suggestions in a box please, my suggestion:
    The Do's and Don'ts of Derailling the Day of Doozerie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

@AdMMM: clean your rims and pads, maybe abrade the pads a bit with sandpaper, nutmeg grater or something to break the surface in a bit.

You ain't getting away with that..... WTF?

Hungrycol wrote: »
    You ain't getting away with that..... WTF?

Everyone has a nutmeg grater, right? How else would they grate their nutmeg?

Lumen wrote:
    How else would they grate their nutmeg?

I just hold my nutmeg near the personality of my least-favourite relative.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

How else would they grate their nutmeg?

I hold mine up to the telly when Joan Burton's on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Do you usually get the Butler to do it for you?

RobFowl wrote: »
    Do you usually get the Butler to do it for you?

I take my usual table at Guilbaud's and await the inevitable "can I boof your brake pads sir, while your fois gras is warming?".

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I take my usual table at Guilbaud's and await the inevitable "can I boof your brake pads sir, while your fois gras is warming?".

On DNS we use usually hang them out the window with string while doing doughnuts in stolen cars.
    Works a treat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Cutting it very fine with my new winter tyres - there's less than 1mm clearance! :D

CIMG1266.jpg

Collecting my four year old from school today to be met by a gang of junior infants wearing these dangling from their wrists 1fc1c1c2db5852e08ffc380475e26336c8ebd9632f3d2e3cbff68c33227c602c.jpg

Fair enough it does add to visibility even if they are too big for a small child to wear on their arm but they are no substitute for common sense and teaching a child to be safe on the road.

My daughter is normally very good on the path and around roads, walks beside me on the inside and is quite cautious of the road and around cars and knows to only cross with me. Today with this magic arm band on she proceeded to try and walk straight across the pedestrian crossing with out me. We weren't even going to be crossing the road. When I stopped her and asked what she was doing she replied the cars could see her now and her armband would stop the cars squashing her. Grrr great way to undermine a few years teaching a child to be safe on the road by telling this magic band will keep them safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Ryath wrote: »
    My daughter is normally very good on the path and around roads, walks beside me on the inside and is quite cautious of the road and around cars and knows to only cross with me. Today with this magic arm band on she proceeded to try and walk straight across the pedestrian crossing with out me. We weren't even going to be crossing the road. When I stopped her and asked what she was doing she replied the cars could see her now and her armband would stop the cars squashing her. Grrr great way to undermine a few years teaching a child to be safe on the road by telling this magic band will keep them safe.

maybe you should tell the school (after all they wont know if you dont tell them what effect they are having)

maybe you should tell the school (after all they wont know if you dont tell them what effect they are having)

Yea am going to say it to the teacher in the morning. It's probably just a once of I've explained to her it only helps cars see her when it's dark that you still need to be carefull. At the time though she was behaving like she just wanted to try out her new toy and I was stopping her.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Cutting it very fine with my new winter tyres - there's less than 1mm clearance! :D

Bring a spoke key and pray you don't hit a massive pothole.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

AdMMM wrote: »
    I posted in the wimp list thread with a question but figure it's more appropriate here.

Is there anyway that I can make my brakes a bit more effective in the rain. The rim is slipping an awful lot when the brakes are applied. I'm just using my old mountain bike to commute until I get my hybrid delivered to me next week and I had it serviced last week and new brakepads fitted so I don't want to spend too much.

clarks-cps240-brake-shoe-and-pads.jpg

Clarkes Brakepads. Halfords sell them, I find them a lot better than standard pads in the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

clarks-cps240-brake-shoe-and-pads.jpg

The blue end is meant for rubbing out biro and the black for pencil. Doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Junior

AdMMM wrote: »
    Is there anyway that I can make my brakes a bit more effective in the rain. The rim is slipping an awful lot when the brakes are applied. I'm just using my old mountain bike to commute until I get my hybrid delivered to me next week and I had it serviced last week and new brakepads fitted so I don't want to spend too much.

I've invested in Swiss Top Greens, I think they do a Black set as well which is also for alu rims. Well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Paddy The Pirate

Junior wrote: »
    I've invested in Swiss Top Greens, I think they do a Black set as well which is also for alu rims. Well worth it.

Absolutely, the amount of braking distance they shave off in the green is well worth the price! They've saved my bacon a good few times. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Everyone has a nutmeg grater, right? How else would they grate their nutmeg?

I have
    Nutmeg grater,
    Walnut cracker,
    Various cheese garrottes,
    Oyster shucker,
    Pineapple corer.

They have all been used. How do people prepare food without these essential utensils?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement