Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WSBK 2014...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Just after finishing up in Sepang, working in Singapore for a couple of days this week so dropped in for the weekend! Great days racing but tell you what there was some heat! Huge respect to the riders for managing to make it through the races in such conditions. Got sitting down with Eugene, JR and Chaz Davies yesterday and Alex Lowes today, everything is up on the site, except for Chaz because it was a really long interview!

Here's a few pics from this weekend:
    eugene-laverty-sepang-saturday-2014.jpg?w=1024

jonathan-rea-sepang-race-1-2014-4.jpg?w=1024

leon-haslam-sepang-race-1-2014-2.jpg?w=1024

sylvain-guintoli-marco-melandrisepang-race-1-2014.jpg?w=1024

tom-sykes-sepang-saturday-2014-2.jpg?w=1024

I've uploaded a few more to my gallery here

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Love the one of Sykes going past the Guy taking a piss against the Armco!

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Love the one of Sykes going past the Guy taking a piss against the Armco!
    Yeah that's a favourite of mine from the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Frostie, how did a WSBK weekend compare to a motogp weekend ?

Infoanon wrote: »
    Frostie, how did a WSBK weekend compare to a motogp weekend ?

It was really quiet! At a MotoGP race there's usually, lets say 200 media (journos and photographers), at F1 there's lets say 350 but at WSBK there was probably about 30 total! It was really amazing to see the difference! Nice series to go to though because the riders are accessible and happy to talk, it's much more relaxed than any race I'd been to before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Well done Jack Kennedy...ya boy ya..:D

Great stuff Johnny and Jack yesterday, great days racing!

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

Thank god Sykes is brutal in the wet, I was expecting another another dominant display after race one but luckily the rain arrived. Great ride by Rea.

What's the deal with the scheduling this year, Portugal and USA a week apart and then no race for nearly 2 months. Was another race cancelled in between? Could've been spread out better.

EB_2013 wrote: »
    Thank god Sykes is brutal in the wet, I was expecting another another dominant display after race one but luckily the rain arrived. Great ride by Rea.

What's the deal with the scheduling this year, Portugal and USA a week apart and then no race for nearly 2 months. Was another race cancelled in between? Could've been spread out better.

Moscow was cancelled for August

Ah, forgot about that one from last year. Poor Antonelli, that track was lethal in the wet.

• Advertisement

Thank god Sykes is brutal in the wet, I was expecting another another dominant display after race one but luckily the rain arrived. .

Yeah...its starting to get a bit Motogp-ish........:)

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Magown3

Ok, things are starting back up this weekend and while watching the qualifying, the commentators seemed to be talking a lot about rumours for next year! Exciting rumours.

Johnny Rea to Kawasaki!
    Baz to Moto GP.
    Haslam possibly back to BSB.
    Melandri to Moto GP with Aprilla.

What have you heard?
    What would you like to see?

Magown3 wrote: »
    Ok, things are starting back up this weekend and while watching the qualifying, the commentators seemed to be talking a lot about rumours for next year! Exciting rumours.

Johnny Rea to Kawasaki!
    Baz to Moto GP.

What have you heard?

Melandri to Moto GP is apparently a done deal and may be announced next week at Misano, I would be surprised if Johnny Rea left Honda.

Melandri to Moto GP is apparently a done deal and may be announced next week at Misano, I would be surprised if Johnny Rea left Honda.
    I wouldn't be, Rea has given his all on a basically outdated 'blade.
    In return he has been given a couple of wildcards on a GP bike as a stand in for Stoner.
    He has also won the Suzuka 8hr for TSR/Honda.
    He is not going to get a ride on a Factory machine and the list of riders ahead of him for Satellite seats is long and getting longer.
    His only option at this stage is to stay in WSBK and get himself a competitive ride which means Kawasaki or Aprilia at this point.
    If he had decent machinery under him he may well have had a couple of championships under his belt at this point.
    He may as well cut his losses and ride for the win rather than loyalty at this stage of his career.
    Kawasaki have the best package for the EVO rules currently and if Aprilia go back to GP then their factory SBK effort won't be much to write home about.

How long ago was the last race at Portugal? It was so long it feels like the start of a new season!
    Two rounds out of 15 cancelled and the series starts to look like a badly organised event IMO.
    Sponsors won't like it and WSBK can not lose any more sponsors or they could be in serious trouble.
    Dorna have a lot to do to get it back on track or it could be the start of a fatal slide into obscurity.

How long ago was the last race at Portugal? It was so long it feels like the start of a new season!
    Two rounds out of 15 cancelled and the series starts to look like a badly organised event IMO.
    Sponsors won't like it and WSBK can not lose any more sponsors or they could be in serious trouble.
    Dorna have a lot to do to get it back on track or it could be the start of a fatal slide into obscurity.

The cancellation of the Russian round was out of Dornas control and in hindsight was a blessing, its unfortunate a stop gap round could not be put in place but its understandable.

I wouldn't be, Rea has given his all on a basically outdated 'blade.
    In return he has been given a couple of wildcards on a GP bike as a stand in for Stoner.
    He has also won the Suzuka 8hr for TSR/Honda.
    He is not going to get a ride on a Factory machine and the list of riders ahead of him for Satellite seats is long and getting longer.
    His only option at this stage is to stay in WSBK and get himself a competitive ride which means Kawasaki or Aprilia at this point.
    If he had decent machinery under him he may well have had a couple of championships under his belt at this point.
    He may as well cut his losses and ride for the win rather than loyalty at this stage of his career.
    Kawasaki have the best package for the EVO rules currently and if Aprilia go back to GP then their factory SBK effort won't be much to write home about.

Couldn't agree with this more. I only wish he cut His ties 2 years ago before he renewed his contract for 2 years. On a competitive or even semi competitive bike, he's a championship contender.

I'd hate to see him end his career on a Honda in years to come with the horrible title of "the fastest rider never to win a championship". Would be a terrible shame.

The cancellation of the Russian round was out of Dornas control and in hindsight was a blessing, its unfortunate a stop gap round could not be put in place but its understandable.
    And South Africa?

Johnny Rea to Kawasaki!
    Baz to Moto GP.

What have you heard?

The Kawasaki's would be unstoppable next year if they can get Johnny on board especially if their nearest rivals Aprilia scale back to concentrate on MotoGP. I would love to see how he does going head to head with Sykes and it might be his best chance of winning the championship.

If Johnny or Leon leave Pata Honda I'm guessing Van der Mark will step up after winning the Supersport title. He looks like an exciting prospect.

The Kawasaki's would be unstoppable next year if they can get Johnny on board especially if their nearest rivals Aprilia scale back to concentrate on MotoGP. I would love to see how he does going head to head with Sykes and it might be his best chance of winning the championship.

If Johnny or Leon leave Pata Honda I'm guessing Van der Mark will step up after winning the Supersport title. He looks like an exciting prospect.

Yeah JR on that Kawasaki will be very hard to beat and I cant see Sykes getting close to him. Leon is apparently fielding offers in the paddock (Red Devils seems like the main one) and MvdM will be moving up to the SBK team next year but with JR moving it might open the door for Leon to stay on at Pata Honda.

• Advertisement

I was over at the race this weekend, second of the season for me in WSBK, and it was definitely interesting compared to a MotoGP weekend! Very different with the more relaxed nature of the SBK paddock but there was no people, as you'll see in a few of the pictures! As ever if anyone's looking for anything specific for desktop backgrounds or prints just let me know and I'll see if I can help
    race-start-jerez-wsbk-sunday-2014.jpg?w=800

eugene-laverty-jerez-wsbk-sunday-2014-4.jpg?w=800

chaz-davies-jonathan-rea-jerez-wsbk-sunday-2014.jpg?w=800

loris-baz-tom-sykes-jerez-wsbk-saturday-2014.jpg?w=800

toni-elias-jerez-wsbk-saturday-2014.jpg?w=800

eugene-laverty-jerez-wsbk-saturday-2014-3.jpg?w=800

sylvain-guintoli-jerez-wsbk-friday-2014-3.jpg?w=800

alex-lowes-jerez-wsbk-friday-2014-3.jpg?w=800

jonathan-rea-jerez-wsbk-friday-2014-1.jpg?w=800

Who's your money on for this weekend?

Sykes or Guinters?

Myself, I think Sylvan might have something in the bag. He has the momentum going into the final round and he seemed super confident at the last round. I'd like to see him do it also as he comes across as a decent skin.

On the other hand, Sykes has the points advantage and knows how to win a championship.

Lookin forward to the Sunday races now.

Winner takes all now in Race 2! I'd love to say that the atmosphere matches the occasion here in qatar but....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

delighted for Guinters

Grim. wrote: »
    delighted for Guinters

Me too. Little disappointed Tom couldn't bring a closer battle to him but glad Sylvan came out on top.

Delighted for Rea too. Top 3 in the championship is no mean feat. Can't wait to see him on a competitive bike next year!

Something else for ye to ponder over, is Sykes well liked within the paddock? His team mate screwed him over coz they don't like each other but what I found interesting was the reactions of the other riders on the cooling down lap when they were asking Sylvan if he'd won. They all seemed delighted, especially Lowes! Check it out. And also there was that twitter thing at Laguna where some of the riders seemed to have a go at him.

Something else for ye to ponder over, is Sykes well liked within the paddock? His team mate screwed him over coz they don't like each other but what I found interesting was the reactions of the other riders on the cooling down lap when they were asking Sylvan if he'd won. They all seemed delighted, especially Lowes! Check it out. And also there was that twitter thing at Laguna where some of the riders seemed to have a go at him.

No need to ponder, Tom's not very well liked by the other ririders. General consensus is that he's allienated a lot of his rivals by being quite arragont. Doesn't affect him on the bike but it certainly affected his relationship with baz. I asked Tom if he'd talked to Loris after what happened in race one and he said that he hadn't talked to him since sepang....

Anyone else think Sykes let Johnny past........just sayin...

Anyone else think Sykes let Johnny past........just sayin...

I think Johnny deliberately didn't overtake Tom because he didn't want to interfere with his championship chances, see if Tom could do it himself. With a few laps to go, it was clear Tom wasn't gonna do it so he went for the overtake.

And so he got third in the championship, fair play. Another thing u forgot to say in my last post. Melandri rode straight by Sylvan not even congratulating him, his teammate, on the championship!

I think Johnny deliberately didn't overtake Tom because he didn't want to interfere with his championship chances, see if Tom could do it himself. With a few laps to go, it was clear Tom wasn't gonna do it so he went for the overtake.

And so he got third in the championship, fair play. Another thing u forgot to say in my last post. Melandri rode straight by Sylvan not even congratulating him, his teammate, on the championship!

True...but i still think he could have stayed ahead of Johnny....maybe a dig at Kawasaki for not slapping Baz on the wrist....who knows..:rolleyes:

however....Melandri's a pryck anyways........

• Advertisement

Sykes is heading for the same label.
    You win the championship by being fast, all the time.
    Sykes seems to think that he can go fast at tracks that he is quick on and then tool around midpackish when the conditions or track doesn't suit him, like Magny Cours.
    In fairness Baz did give up his position to Sykes at Magny Cours but to expect and demand the same at every race is kind of farcical.
    What's worse is Toseland saying that Baz should be sent home after Race 1.
    Sykes comes across as bitter, Baz has improved a lot this year he is much faster and more consistent than at the start of the season.
    I really hope he can make the leap to GP racing.
    I am afraid that Sykes may find his teammate next year to be equally as quick and as reluctant to give way if he is faster.

Advertisement