Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Formula 1 2014: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

TBH Force India only went backwards after the mid-season tyre change.

Plus, I'm not expecting much from Ferrari's turbo V6.

Ferrari can't afford to be playing second fiddle this year. They need to hit the ground running. They have two world champions to keep happy and the team need to get back to winning ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

logik wrote: »
    Ferrari can't afford to be playing second fiddle this year. They need to hit the ground running. They have two world champions to keep happy and the team need to get back to winning ways.

They really do. I'd fear for Domenicalli's position if this year doesn't yield some real results for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Talk of Kamui back in F1 with Caterham this year, would be great to see him back at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Sad to hear, RIP.

Indeed. I don't think we will ever see a small engine player like Brian Hart in F1 again.

Here's Rubens Barrichello on the right who finished 3rd at the 1994 Pacific GP driving for Jordan who used Hart engines in 1993 and 1994:

Rubens_300th_GP_9.jpg

Myrddin wrote: »
    They really do. I'd fear for Domenicalli's position if this year doesn't yield some real results for them.

I actually like Domenicalli. He has time for interviews, comes across well and knows Ferrari have been poor in recent years. With the Wind tunnel sorted and the personnel changes I hope they get back to winning ways and start pushing Red Bull again and he keeps his job. But lets say he was to be fired, Brawn anyone??? :)

In other news, Massa has come out to talk about crashgate again after leaving Ferrari... I really don't like when drivers leave a team and begin to slate their teammates and/or the team they drove for. It's in bad taste, just move on Massa...

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/01/09/massa-suspects-alonso-knew-crashgate-plan/

• Advertisement

I actually like Domenicalli. He has time for interviews, comes across well and knows Ferrari have been poor in recent years. With the Wind tunnel sorted and the personnel changes I hope they get back to winning ways and start pushing Red Bull again and he keeps his job. But lets say he was to be fired, Brawn anyone??? :)

Same, he seems a decent chap & likeable too. He's had the look of someone with a monkey on his back though lately. Brawn as TP for Ferrari...hmm, interesting.
    In other news, Massa has come out to talk about crashgate again after leaving Ferrari... I really don't like when drivers leave a team and begin to slate their teammates and/or the team they drove for. It's in bad taste, just move on Massa...

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/01/09/massa-suspects-alonso-knew-crashgate-plan/

I sympathize with Massa over this incident, ultimately an incident of cheating robbed him of a World Championship when you think of it. But to slander Alonso like this in public, no, Felipe, not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

I'd like to see the unedited interview, I reckon he was probably asked about pat Symmonds seen as he will now be working with him and there was a follow up question about Alonso. Maybe Massa should have stayed clear of the question but there's very few of Massa's quotes in the article, easy to twist words.

On a different note do you think he is wrong about Alonso.

christy c wrote: »
    I'd like to see the unedited interview, I reckon he was probably asked about pat Symmonds seen as he will now be working with him and there was a follow up question about Alonso. Maybe Massa should have stayed clear of the question but there's very few of Massa's quotes in the article, easy to twist words.

Good point, & would seem more probable.

That's always going to be speculation, I can only assume if the investigation found him innocent, there wasn't much to incriminate him.

I really don't know. We will never know the full depth of crashgate. You can be sure all the facts were not disclosed. Alonso is an amazing driver, he has proved that in a sub par car over the past few seasons but there is a stubborn and devious side to him for sure. It is hard to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Jenson chooses 22 as his number, the number of the Brawn he won the title in.

• Advertisement

Zcott wrote: »
    Jenson chooses 22 as his number, the number of the Brawn he won the title in.

Interesting.

Do we have a list of all of the numbers taken so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

Interesting.

Do we have a list of all of the numbers taken so far?

From Sky F1's Web Site:
    Driver number choices:

Red Bull
    Sebastian Vettel: Yet to be announced.
    Daniel Ricciardo: 3.

Ferrari
    Fernando Alonso: 14.
    Kimi Raikkonen: 7.

Mercedes
    Lewis Hamilton: Yet to be announced.
    Nico Rosberg: 6, 5 or 9.

Lotus
    Romain Grosjean: 8, 29 or 11.
    Pastor Maldonado: Yet to be announced.

McLaren
    Jenson Button: 22.
    Kevin Magnussen: 20.

Force India
    Sergio Perez: 11.
    Nico Hulkenberg: Yet to be announced.

Sauber
    Adrian Sutil: Yet to be announced.
    Esteban Gutierrez: Yet to be announced.

Toro Rosso
    Jean-Eric Vergne: 25, 21 or 27.
    Daniil Kvyat: Yet to be announced.

Williams
    Felipe Massa: 19.
    Valtteri Bottas: 77, 17 or 11.

Marussia
    Jules Bianchi: 7, 27 or 77.
    Driver still to be confirmed.

Caterham

• Registered Users Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I think Felipe has every right to complain, Crashgate potentially robbed Felipe of a WDC title, one which I doubt he'll ever have a chance of winning again.

It wouldn't surprise me if Alonso knew but whether he did or not I'm sure when it first came out he wasn't shocked.

It wouldn't surprise me if Alonso knew but whether he did or not I'm sure when it first came out he wasn't shocked.

Would agree here.

I know it essentially robbed Massa of a WDC, what I am getting at is, bringing it up again is in bad taste now that he is no longer Alonso's teammate.

Would agree here.

I know it essentially robbed Massa of a WDC, what I am getting at is, bringing it up again is in bad taste now that he is no longer Alonso's teammate.

I would refer you to my earlier post, I would think that it was most likely brought up for him as I've never seen Massa come accross as bitter as this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

And here's the full entry list with numbers:

http://www.fia.com/2014-fia-f1-world-championship-entry-list

I'll be looking out for 19 and 44 this season :)

Maldonado's number :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Happy that Nico Hulkenburg chose #27 - I was concerned that an also ran might have chose that number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭andyman

Knew some funny fella would pick 99.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Zcott wrote: »
    And here's the full entry list with numbers:

http://www.fia.com/2014-fia-f1-world-championship-entry-list

I was sure Alonso would not do it, his ego is too immensely overblown for that, but was hoping maybe Raikkonen would pick #27. Goes to Hulkenberg instead, still better than not having it at all.

I would refer you to my earlier post, I would think that it was most likely brought up for him as I've never seen Massa come accross as bitter as this

The whole thing should be put to sleep, he is clearly still troubled by it.

If he wants to blame anyone, it should be whoever was in charge of the traffic light system, unscheduled stops in F1 are common so Ferrari should have been ready at that stage.

Even at that, I do remember his performance after the incident being quite appalling, he had a spin at some stage after it I think and was nowhere near the leaders on pace in that Ferrari.

Gintonious wrote: »
    The whole thing should be put to sleep, he is clearly still troubled by it.

If he wants to blame anyone, it should be whoever was in charge of the traffic light system, unscheduled stops in F1 are common so Ferrari should have been ready at that stage.

Even at that, I do remember his performance after the incident being quite appalling, he had a spin at some stage after it I think and was nowhere near the leaders on pace in that Ferrari.

This article should be put to sleep, they picked one thing he said (possibly out of context), and made a a story out of it.

Article smells of BS to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

nice touch by vettel picking 5...he will be sick if he does not win the world championship this year though lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

I think he picked it because it was the number he had in 2010, when he won WDC number 1, and not necessarily about a 5th WDC

Car launch dates so far:

McLaren: online launch on the 24th of January.

Mercedes and Caterham: at Jerez on the 28th of January.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

that number thing just gets stupider and stupider...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Max Chilton confirmed at Marussia for 2014, no word on Caterham yet.

Why was Chilton kept on? A waste of seat!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Gintonious wrote: »
    Why was Chilton kept on? A waste of seat!

show+me+the+money.jpg

Advertisement