Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

rent supplement/allowance

• 14-06-2011 1:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

have been accepted to a 3rd level degree course and have applied for back to education allowance, which according to my length of unemployment, i will qualify for.

my other half is happy and behind me for going to college but it is our living arrangements that are the issue. we spend our time in each other's houses (both mid 30s now) and have no privacy. she has suggested moving in and up until now i had been hesitant but fear we will fall apart with our relationship going the way it is.

currently i am on job seekers allowance since november 2009, which 6 months of work in between, ending last july. i have my house rented out luckily to tenants who intend to stay on, and are fantastic.

my question is would i be entitled to a rent supplement etc. i have means deducted due to the rental income but i would intend finding a part time job also

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Being a home owner would in all probability scupper any chance of getting rent allowance,but there again there no harm in asking your local CWO what the story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

boarder77 wrote: »
    have been accepted to a 3rd level degree course and have applied for back to education allowance, which according to my length of unemployment, i will qualify for.

my other half is happy and behind me for going to college but it is our living arrangements that are the issue. we spend our time in each other's houses (both mid 30s now) and have no privacy. she has suggested moving in and up until now i had been hesitant but fear we will fall apart with our relationship going the way it is.

currently i am on job seekers allowance since november 2009, which 6 months of work in between, ending last july. i have my house rented out luckily to tenants who intend to stay on, and are fantastic.

my question is would i be entitled to a rent supplement etc. i have means deducted due to the rental income but i would intend finding a part time job also

You cannot get assessed as in need of housing by your local authority if you own another property. This can effectively exclude you from rent supplement.

Also, what is your partner's situation? Is she working or claiming a social welfare payment?

Also, if you do manage to qualify for rent supplement, Back to Education Allowance is assessed fully against your claim (the additional income disregard is not applied to the Allowance unfortunately), so depending on what your partner's position is, this may result in a significant reduction or perhaps even total reduction of any rent supplement payable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 boarder77

many thanks both of you. that is fairly conclusive. oh, and yes she is working.

if i could get something part time that would be great.

my application has gone in for btea. would moving in with her result in a change in circumstance. ie living with partner instead of parents or do i just have to tell them my address has changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭SarahC11

if you move in with her you's will be a cohabiting couple, me and my bf are a cohabiting couple i claim for both of us cos he's in full time college, so i get an increase in weekly payments but because your gf works not 100% but i think her income would be taken into account and affect your payments, if she earns below a certain amount she may be able to claim for you as a dependent like i do for my bf
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/pages/cohabit.aspx

• Advertisement

boarder77 wrote: »
    many thanks both of you. that is fairly conclusive. oh, and yes she is working.

if i could get something part time that would be great.

my application has gone in for btea. would moving in with her result in a change in circumstance. ie living with partner instead of parents or do i just have to tell them my address has changed?

Well, it sounds like your current circumstances would already be considered as cohabitation under the Department's guideilnes. You have to let the Department know of any change in your circumstances. It will depend on what payment you are on, and what your partner's financial circumstances are as to how this affects your payment.

Rent supplement is not available if either spouse/partner is working more than 30 hours.

Back to Education Allowance is not means tested and partner's income does not affect the amount that you get. However, to be eligible in the first place, you must be in receipt of the qualifying social welfare payment immediately before starting the course. If you move in with your partner and lose your entitlement to your social welfare payment before starting your course, then you will lose your entitlement to Back to Education Allowance.

If you let us know what your partner's circumstances are someone should be able to let you know if you will lose your social welfare entitlement by cohabiting with her. For what constitutes as cohabitation see here: http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/Pages/cohabit.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 boarder77

Well, it sounds like your current circumstances would already be considered as cohabitation under the Department's guideilnes. You have to let the Department know of any change in your circumstances. It will depend on what payment you are on, and what your partner's financial circumstances are as to how this affects your payment.

Rent supplement is not available if either spouse/partner is working more than 30 hours.

Back to Education Allowance is not means tested and partner's income does not affect the amount that you get. However, to be eligible in the first place, you must be in receipt of the qualifying social welfare payment immediately before starting the course. If you move in with your partner and lose your entitlement to your social welfare payment before starting your course, then you will lose your entitlement to Back to Education Allowance.

If you let us know what your partner's circumstances are someone should be able to let you know if you will lose your social welfare entitlement by cohabiting with her. For what constitutes as cohabitation see here: http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/Pages/cohabit.aspx

i am am on job seekers allowance 10 months thus far. my girlfriend works around 38-40 hours a week and i imagine she is on good money. i havent asked her her figures.

my idea would be to wait until the btea kicks in before moving and then informing the department of a change of address if that was allowed. it doesnt sound like it would be a good move before the btea allowance starts.

Advertisement