Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Week 12 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Also, what analyst just called Drew Stanton a young quarterback? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

Billy86 wrote: »
    Tough to say, 2011 has some outrageous talent, particularly on the defensive side of the ball.

Who does each team have to boast of their rookies this year by the way? GB has no instant stars but Haha (1st rd, the #1 guy I wanted in the whole draft... realistically of course) has the makings of a top 5 safety easy once he smooths his game out, Linsley's (5th rd) consistent improvement at centre is nothing short of scary, Adams (2nd rd) has the makings of a pro bowl level receiver and is very smart which is exactly what Rodgers thrives off, Pennel (UDFA) is increasingly looking like a really good 'big body' 3-4 guy... and keep an eye out for Jeff Janis (very Jordy Nelson like) and Abbrederis (sneaky slot guy, on IR) who were picked up in the 6th and 7th rounds at WR.

i meant rookie wide receiver class :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Ah right, well we've got one who looks very good and two solid potentials but no Odells, Watkins', Evans', or Kelvin Benjamins then. :p

By the way, desperately need a 14 point turnaround from Dallas. :o

Still if Beckham keeps playing like he has been I can't be mad at losing... hate losing games like the Colts earlier or dumb stuff like the Packers/Broncos giving up easy points at the end. But this is something else: 8 targets, 8 catches, 125 yards and 2 TDs including probably the best NFL catch of all time and possibly play of the decade ("The Beastmode Run" is all I can think of off my head to rival it).

B3LGx6kCIAE4EOt.jpg

B3LJ-rBIIAEiayo.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Billy86 wrote: »
    Ah right, well we've got one who looks very good and two solid potentials but no Odells, Watkins', Evans', or Kelvin Benjamins then. :p

Cooks has ousted Colston in the Saints depth chart. Jordan Mathews is almost the no.1 receiver in Philly.

Go as far down as the end of the 2nd round and nearly all of them are making a big contribution.

lbj666 wrote: »
    Cooks has ousted Colston in the Saints depth chart. Jordan Mathews is almost the no.1 receiver in Philly.

Go as far down as the end of the 2nd round and nearly all of them are making a big contribution.

And 4th round guys onwards rarely even get a chance in their rookie year no matter how good they look, so there's plenty of chances we see some of the others impress too in the next year or two... 33 drafted total before even including UDFAs, and WR is typically a position that takes longer to master than other positions. Could be amazing looking back on this bunch in a few years time.

how was that no foul

edit: oh he did flop i dont like that at all

Poor throw by Eli. No need to hit him so high.

That flop call was hilarious! :D

Followed by an Eli special.

• Advertisement

Collinsworth is so good, loved how he spotted that Beckham was open for an 80+ yard TD in real time so quick with "oohh, he had him" (thought he was referring to the Cowboys player having the sack at the time).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Romo interception time?

paulie21 wrote: »
    Romo interception time?

Nah. Giants crappy defense time.

Told ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Offensive line giving Romo some serious time

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

That's the first and probably the only time I get excited by pass protection. That was phenomenal.

matthew8 wrote: »
    That's the first and probably the only time I get excited by pass protection. That was phenomenal.

Watch the Giants more. Our pass protection gives me palpitations :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

I posted before the draft that i hoped the Eagles would get Beckham cos i taught he would become a star but man i didnt think he'd become a star so quick, his 2nd TD last night was just ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

OBJ is a beast lads, superstar in the making.

Other then that Giants let me down again, needed to hang on for the win there and I genuinely thought they would get a result there, I picked them before the game and felt confident they would get it together to pick up the win. I think there will be plenty of changes in New York come the end of the season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The Bills were at 9 and could have drafted OBJ but instead gave up a 1st rounder to go get Watkins.

In time we'll see how good Watkins can be but it's not looking a great move right now from the GM

• Advertisement

mikemac1 wrote: »
    The Bills were at 9 and could have drafted OBJ but instead gave up a 1st rounder to go get Watkins.

In time we'll see how good Watkins can be but it's not looking a great move right now from the GM

ah thats not fair at all nobody could have thought obj would produce like this straight away and watkins has been lights out as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

nerd69 wrote: »
    ah thats not fair at all nobody could have thought obj would produce like this straight away and watkins has been lights out as well

It's not the point that Watkins has been great, they both have. It's just that they gave up so much to get Watkins when this year is by far the best receiving corps a draft has seen in many years.

They could have sat where they were and taken any of Beckham, Cooks or Benjamen but they went all out for Watkins. They might even have had Evans fall in their lap as the Buccs prob would have taken Watkins instead. They took a huge gamble without even having a legit QB and without a 1st round pick this year, it's unlikely they'll have a QB for the future next year either.

skippymac6 wrote: »
    It's not the point that Watkins has been great, they both have. It's just that they gave up so much to get Watkins when this year is by far the best receiving corps a draft has seen in many years.

They could have sat where they were and taken any of Beckham, Cooks or Benjamen but they went all out for Watkins. They might even have had Evans fall in their lap as the Buccs prob would have taken Watkins instead. They took a huge gamble without even having a legit QB and without a 1st round pick this year, it's unlikely they'll have a QB for the future next year either.

i agree with your greater point (i said on the day of the draft it was a stupid trade) but to say they could have gotten obj at 9 and he's as good is not fair watkins was seen as the best receiver in a good draft class (and he could easily still be the best he's playing damn well with kyle orton throwing him the ball) a lot of the rest looked like they would be good starters but all had there issues so that was the logic in there trade up

i agree that the trade was a bad idea however i dont think you should be giving up 2 first rounders unless you think your getting a franchise qb or you think the piece your getting could get you over the hump with regards a Super Bowl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I think this years draft is shaping up to be very similar to last year in terms of WR. I think a guy like Cooper is going to be over-drafted like Watkins was.

I think this years draft is shaping up to be very similar to last year in terms of WR. I think a guy like Cooper is going to be over-drafted like Watkins was.

how was watkins overrated :confused: he's playing very well considering who he's got throwing to him

how was watkins overrated :confused: he's playing very well considering who he's got throwing to him

His ceiling is limited and he was never worth #4 over all pick just on it's own even.

His ceiling is limited and he was never worth #4 over all pick just on it's own even.

thats nonsense he could easily end up the best receiver in the greatest wr class of all time of coarse he was worth the number 4 on its own. hindsight has shown that there where other wr options out there but all of them are performing with a far far better qb thrown to them (bar john brown but watkins is having a far better year than him and as a no1)

watkins is having a similar statistical rookie year as calvin johnson and larry fitzgerald (apt comparisons as all 3 had poor qbs) has caught a game winning td and has had multiple hundred yard games

i agree with your greater point (i said on the day of the draft it was a stupid trade) but to say they could have gotten obj at 9 and he's as good is not fair watkins was seen as the best receiver in a good draft class (and he could easily still be the best he's playing damn well with kyle orton throwing him the ball) a lot of the rest looked like they would be good starters but all had there issues so that was the logic in there trade up

i agree that the trade was a bad idea however i dont think you should be giving up 2 first rounders unless you think your getting a franchise qb or you think the piece your getting could get you over the hump with regards a Super Bowl.

Exactly. I'm not using hindsight like glasses and ripping them for selecting Watkins, only that they gave up too much for a position that will probably prove to be the strongest in the whole draft class. The GM just seemed to be trying to pull a superstar in the making to enhance his long term job security.

thats nonsense he could easily end up the best receiver in the greatest wr class of all time of coarse he was worth the number 4 on its own. hindsight has shown that there where other wr options out there but all of them are performing with a far far better qb thrown to them (bar john brown but watkins is having a far better year than him and as a no1)

watkins is having a similar statistical rookie year as calvin johnson and larry fitzgerald (apt comparisons as all 3 had poor qbs) has caught a game winning td and has had multiple hundred yard games

He won't end as the best WR. Saying he was worth the number 4 on it's own when he's looking like the 4th or 5th best WR in the class is pretty comical tbh. Mike Evans has performed far better than Watkins and he's arguably had worse QBs throwing to him.

• Advertisement

He won't end as the best WR. Saying he was worth the number 4 on it's own when he's looking like the 4th or 5th best WR in the class is pretty comical tbh. Mike Evans has performed far better than Watkins and he's arguably had worse QBs throwing to him.

You could go through any amount of years of the draft and pick out guys who didn't deserve to be top 5 picks. Clowney and Robinson who went 1 and 2 this year have easily been more disappointing than Watkins and to a certain extent so has Bortles at 3.

Watkins will end up being a very good player I think but the big issue is that by giving up what they did, they will struggle to be competitive in the decent AFC East over the next few years.

Advertisement