Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2014 Nissan Qashqai 1.2?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

For someone doing any sort of mileage I wouldn't go near that 1.2. If your driving is confined mostly to A to B trips then possibly but not otherwise. The 1.5 dci does need to be worked hard on acceleration but fuel economy is impressive and tax is low.
    The XE with steel wheels looks ridiculous. On the old model you just got smaller alloys with the base spec

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I drove same for a short while & I found it perfectly fine, didn't need to make the engine "scream" to progress.

Many UK reviews of the Yeti when launched recommended the 1.2 as the engine to go for.

Id have no problem with a 120hp 1.2 from the Nissan .

They must have been driving another car or maybe they where given a 2 litre and told it's the 1.2.
    I found it weedy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

They must have been driving another car or maybe they where given a 2 litre and told it's the 1.2.I found it weedy.

The engines themselves then start to have negative comments directed at them even when they're probably cracking little units and would be perfect in a Supermini or something. But because they're in such a large car they get called all sorts of names.

This Country is dreadful in general for small, under-powered engines and a lot of that is down to the Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Jesus. wrote: »
    The engines themselves then start to have negative comments directed at them even when they're probably cracking little units and would be perfect in a Supermini or something. But because they're in such a large car they get called all sorts of names.

This Country is dreadful in general for small, under-powered engines and a lot of that is down to the Government.

I blame the people mainly. In Ireland you have to justify buying a car with anything other than the smallest possible engine, because "sure you'd never need to go too fast" and a larger engine will "cost a lot of tax" and "guzzle" fuel:eek::rolleyes::D! Sure you don't "need" a car with a "large" engine. I remember learning to drive in a 1.8 petrol, people looked at me as if I had two heads, sure how could I learn to drive in a car with such a 'big' engine.

This small engined penny wise but pound foolish attitude is endemic in Ireland. It has been there when it comes to cars for as long as I can remember. All they think about is the small engine 'to save on the tax' and supposedly to save on juice, though of course because these small engined cars are specials for Ireland and were never designed for the car, actually use more fuel in the real world. Even now, with engine capacity having no bearing whatsoever on motor tax, I don't think it's ever going to change, unfortunately. People are buying diesels when they have absolutely no need whatsoever, because they are cheaper to tax and the man in the pub said they're 'great yokes'.

Irish people have absolutely no interest in cars whatsoever, their idea of a 'nice' car is a 'new' one, they don't bother servicing them because that's a 'waste of money', sure don't we know that the NCT is a 'money making racket'. Most people don't know what independent rear suspension and electric power steering are, or even other concepts that are really easy to anyone with an interest in cars. In Ireland the car is a device strictly for moving people from a to b in the least costly and most reliable manner, no passion, no interest in looking after it and having it well presented, none of that.

That's why I will always buy my cars in the UK or else from an enthusiast in Ireland, at least I know the car will have been looked after and will be a good spec and have a decent capacity engine with enough power.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

More short term views. Bigger engines have much lower nox emissions. And will last higher miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

corkgsxr wrote: »
    More short term views. Bigger engines have much lower nox emissions. And will last higher miles.

And they usually have more cylinders, so sound a lot nicer and of course, bigger engines are always nicer to drive than smaller capacity units end of story because they have the raw power a small engine simply doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Got my Qashqai 1.2 today... stunning spec and superb drive.

Enuff said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Got my Qashqai 1.2 today... stunning spec and superb drive.

Enuff said.

People may be shocked if you can climb a slight hill without red-lining the engine!

What is it like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭BobMc

also have a 1.2 on order should have it in couple weeks, every dealer we visited was against us buying diesel, low mileage users last car we've had for 10 years and put 65k miles on it, we thought it test drove well, felt much more powerfull than our 2003 avensis 1.6 pertrol, will update when we have it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

What's the engine life on these, a week and a half?

• Advertisement

Well it pumps out decent bhp so for low mileage users it should be ok but for anyone doing any sort of average mileage then diesel is the only way.
    I think the XE model with steel wheels looks repulsive too.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭OO7FITZY

Folks,

Ordered a 1.5 dci last week, and was told I won't have it until end April (worst case)...does this tie in with what others are hearing?

I only drove the 1.5 dci and it felt good and enough power / torque for me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I have the +2 1.6 petrol, it's ok when it's just me in the car, but when it's the whole family with luggage in it, it struggles badly (especially on the motorways running through the mountains in Spain). The 1.5 dci was able to cope with it much better. The 1.2 QQ is 101kg lighter than the 1.6 QQ+2, but I would still shudder to think how a 1.2 would behave under similar load and road conditions.

Slightly OT, but I understand the new Xtrail (basically an inflated version of the new QQ - (not bad looking, I'll admit)) is going to be offered with a 1.6 engine...eww.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Have a Qashai on a list alongside a Hyundai i35x and i40.

To be fair, I was under the impression there was a push to get smaller engines packing higher horsepower. Wouldn't be put of by a 1.2l in the slightest.

I drive a 1.4L Astra and it does have a fair amount of zip I might miss, but it has it's costs :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Yakuza wrote: »
    I have the +2 1.6 petrol, it's ok when it's just me in the car, but when it's the whole family with luggage in it, it struggles badly (especially on the motorways running through the mountains in Spain). The 1.5 dci was able to cope with it much better. The 1.2 QQ is 101kg lighter than the 1.6 QQ+2, but I would still shudder to think how a 1.2 would behave under similar load and road conditions.

Slightly OT, but I understand the new Xtrail (basically an inflated version of the new QQ - (not bad looking, I'll admit)) is going to be offered with a 1.6 engine...eww.

Sorry for the bump and it's a bit OT, but I took a test drive in the new XTrail yesterday, and I have to say it's quite a pokey (in the power sense, not the space sense :)) little beast (just me and the someone from the dealer in the car, but it still was quite nippy!). I may have to eat my earlier words...I was quite tempted by it.

Yakuza wrote: »
    Sorry for the bump and it's a bit OT, but I took a test drive in the new XTrail yesterday, and I have to say it's quite a pokey (in the power sense, not the space sense :)) little beast (just me and the someone from the dealer in the car, but it still was quite nippy!). I may have to eat my earlier words...I was quite tempted by it.

Thats for a thread of its own but they look great.

Advertisement