Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Going on my mam's insurance

• 09-07-2014 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

Okay Im 19 and just got employed for 11 months so I figure I may aswell get the whole car/learning to drive thing out of the way while I have the means to do so.

Hearing from friends and even getting quotes online make it sound like going on my mam's insurance is the only real option for someone my age with no full license, whilst I may have enough money to pay for my own insurance, I don't particularly want to pay in excess of €100 a week as I dont realistically NEED a car I just want to get the whole process finished in case I ever do.

Im just wondering how does going on my mams insurance work?

How much cheaper is it compared to having my own insurance? I understand it varies but in proportion to having my own insurance is it much cheaper for me?

Does it add to my no claims bonus and make my insurance cheaper when I eventually do get my own insurance?

I also understand I should be asking the insurance companies these questions but unfortunately my mother is in hospital atm and Ive no idea what insurance company she's with.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Cheaper as a named driver. If 3k on own, expect 1k as a named under your mam.
    No NCB is earned as a named driver. Some companies may give a little discount for it though but it varies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

TheStook wrote: »
    Okay Im 19 and just got employed for 11 months so I figure I may aswell get the whole car/learning to drive thing out of the way while I have the means to do so.

Hearing from friends and even getting quotes online make it sound like going on my mam's insurance is the only real option for someone my age with no full license, whilst I may have enough money to pay for my own insurance, I don't particularly want to pay in excess of €100 a week as I dont realistically NEED a car I just want to get the whole process finished in case I ever do.

Im just wondering how does going on my mams insurance work?

How much cheaper is it compared to having my own insurance? I understand it varies but in proportion to having my own insurance is it much cheaper for me?

Does it add to my no claims bonus and make my insurance cheaper when I eventually do get my own insurance?

I also understand I should be asking the insurance companies these questions but unfortunately my mother is in hospital atm and Ive no idea what insurance company she's with.

Thanks in advance

Get your license first, then worry about insurance! :)

I never had the luxury of doing this so i'm not very up on it, but to give you an idea, my first policy two years ago was 1800 on an opel astra, so i'd say it would be a few hundred more to your mothers policy, depends all on her experience really, so as is always said on here, when the time comes shop around and see, then work something out

There are some companies that do take named driver experience into it, so they'l look at how many years no claims you have and use that

Others don't and you start back at 0

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

First the insurance companies name will be on her insurance disk on her windscreen.
    Going on your mams insurance would at a guess be about a quater of the price of going on your own.
    you will be driving on you mams policy as a named driver which means an admendment to her policy which she needs to do( there will be a fee for changing her policy )
    It does make it cheaper for when you when you eventually go out on your own

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

kceire wrote: »
    Cheaper as a named driver. If 3k on own, expect 1k as a named under your mam.
    No NCB is earned as a named driver. Some companies may give a little discount for it though but it varies.

Oh really that sucks. I assume they take into account that you were on the road for 1/2/3 years and it's cheaper in that sense?

Also, the few times I have got quoted on insurance online Ive been plagued by calls within hours and its extremely irritating.
    So how much would I roughly expect to be paying for my own insurance. I will be 20 years old and have a full driving licence. Car would be some form of 1.0 litre, most likely a 2000 Polo or Punto.

ganmo wrote: »
    First the insurance companies name will be on her insurance disk on her windscreen.
    Going on your mams insurance would at a guess be about a quater of the price of going on your own.
    you will be driving on you mams policy as a named driver which means an admendment to her policy which she needs to do( there will be a fee for changing her policy )
    It does make it cheaper for when you when you eventually go out on your own

Yeah 1/4 sounds about right and affordable enough. Is it 1/4 of her current insurance cost added on or is it 1/4 of what my insurance should cost added on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

With regards Named No Claims, Aviva take named driving No Claims as a regular NCD :)

Oh really that sucks. I assume they take into account that you were on the road for 1/2/3 years and it's cheaper in that sense?

Also, the few times I have got quoted on insurance online Ive been plagued by calls within hours and its extremely irritating.
    So how much would I roughly expect to be paying for my own insurance. I will be 20 years old and have a full driving licence. Car would be some form of 1.0 litre, most likely a 2000 Polo or Punto.

Play around on the different insurance websites. Add your mams details, no real names/contact details get a price then add yourself as a named driver

Yeah 1/4 sounds about right and affordable enough. Is it 1/4 of her current insurance cost added on or is it 1/4 of what my insurance should cost added on?

1/4 of what it's cost you. This is a pure guess now, play with the insurance sites and you'll get a better idea

1/4 of what it's cost you. This is a pure guess now, play with the insurance sites and you'll get a better idea

Will do thanks. One more question that might be a bit silly but google isnt helping me here, do you need your own car or insurance to take the driving test?

And once you pass driving test, does that make you a fully licensed driver or is there a waiting period?

Thanks in advance, gotta say this sub forum is one of the most helpful ones arounf, thanks everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭morritty

Will do thanks. One more question that might be a bit silly but google isnt helping me here, do you need your own car or insurance to take the driving test?

And once you pass driving test, does that make you a fully licensed driver or is there a waiting period?

Thanks in advance, gotta say this sub forum is one of the most helpful ones arounf, thanks everyone.

No, you can borrow a car from a driving instructor, or just be insured on a car, that car doesn't have to be in your name, and when you pass your test you automatically become a full licenced driver, although now from the 1st of august once you pass your test you will have to show an N plate for two years and i believe you still get a fine for driving without a full licences driver? Im sure if I'm wrong then someone will be able to correct that

• Advertisement

morritty wrote: »
    No, you can borrow a car from a driving instructor, or just be insured on a car, that car doesn't have to be in your name, and when you pass your test you automatically become a full licenced driver, although now from the 1st of august once you pass your test you will have to show an N plate for two years and i believe you still get a fine for driving without a full licences driver? Im sure if I'm wrong then someone will be able to correct that

the only thing i heard about the N plate is that its only 6 penalty points before you're banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

While I dont agree with fronting, there is no point in warning you against it. What NCB are you putting in when getting a quote in your mothers name? If she has a full a NCB on her own car, she cannot us it on a 2nd vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Incorrect. when you pass the test you get a Certificate of Competency and a rosy feeling nothing more, you remain on a Learner Permit until it expires. You have 2 years to apply for a full driving licence by sending off your Certificate of Competency and Learner Permit. You're not a fully licenced driver until you have actually been granted the driving licence.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Incorrect. when you pass the test you get a Certificate of Competency and a rosy feeling nothing more, you remain on a Learner Permit until it expires. You have 2 years to apply for a full driving licence by sending off your Certificate of Competency and Learner Permit. You're not a fully licenced driver until you have actually been granted the driving licence.
    Well thats wrong too. You can surrender a current learners permit along with your certificate and obtain a full licence

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Not necessarily the case any more (or for much longer). I have spoken to insurers about this and their policy is that they price the policy according to the highest risk (even if that is the named driver rather than the policy holder), so its no longer a given that being a named driver is going to work out cheaper.

Only way to know for sure is to ring around some insurers and brokers and see what they come back with.

oldyouth wrote: »
    Well thats wrong too. You can surrender a current learners permit along with your certificate and obtain a full licence
    Yes, I did say that in the second sentence... but to clarify, if you want a full licence you have to apply for it within 2 years of the test otherwise you stay on a Learner Permit until it expires. If you then decide to renew your Learner Permit within that 2 years you can use the new one for your application.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭morritty

Yes, I did say that in the second sentence... but to clarify, if you want a full licence you have to apply for it within 2 years of the test otherwise you stay on a Learner Permit until it expires. If you then decide to renew your Learner Permit within that 2 years you can use the new one for your application.

You don't have to wait until your learners permit is expired at all, i had mine for 9 months when i got my full licence and just traded it in straight away with the cert saying I had passed my test. And to be fair, how many people pass the test and wait two years before applying for a full licence.

You don't have to wait until your learners permit is expired at all, i had mine for 9 months when i got my full licence and just traded it in straight away with the cert saying I had passed my test. And to be fair, how many people pass the test and wait two years before applying for a full licence.

I know, I never said you have to wait.

I hope this makes it clearer:
    a) you do not automatically become a fully licensed driver upon passing the test,
    b) you can only get a full licence if you apply for it,
    c) you have 2 years from the Certificate of Competency date to apply,
    d) applying involves sending in (surrendering) your Learner Permit and Certificate of Competency.
    e) you remain on a Learner Permit until that permit expires or you are awarded a full licence.

Passing the test does not make you a licenced driver, you are still a learner until you have a licence however a Certificate of Competency is a defence in certain traffic laws.

I know, I never said you have to wait.

I'm sorry, but you did. You stated that you remain on a learners permit until it expires. I appreciate that you have since clarified the situation

Advertisement