Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Motor Oil

• 10-07-2014 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭

I know very little about motor oil really other than I am currently contributing a fair bit to the share price of Castrol with the amount of the stuff that my car goes through!

Typically I use Castrol Magnatec, for no other reason than it has always been what I use and have always found that it has worked well for me. Car takes 10W40. When I cant get Castol I try to get a brand that I know such as Mobil, but the other day I was short and ended up buying a cheaper brand that I hadnt heard of (Eurol or something I think it was) from my local motor factors. Not only does the car seem to be burning less, it actually feels like it is running slightly better also. Would there be any particular reason for this, that the cheaper oil doesnt burn so quickly and that it seems to perform slightly better?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Placebo?

My car used to go faster after an oil change, or brake adjustment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Maybe. Its not a full change though; I have just topped up with a litre bottle of the stuff over the past few weeks.

I suppose what I was wondering would be if the cheaper stuff might be thicker somehow or something like that, despite being the same grade, which might explain why it doesnt burn so quickly?

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

If your car's using oil at a high rate, it wouldn't matter too much what make you bought.
    Its not going to be in the system long enough to cause any problems. I'd buy the cheapest stuff you can find.

Advertisement