Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Computing Students

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

There aren't enough levels of s***e to describe how well it went. :( Glad you had a better day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

I've been there too. I really think that 2nd year is where most of the hard work gets done concept wise. 3rd year so far has been fairly handy although I may live to regret those words!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,353 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Got 72% in my programming exam. Happy days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

siblers wrote: »
    Got 72% in my programming exam. Happy days :D
    73 here stunned thought i did much poorer thrilled the mistakes i thought were huge must have been not so huge , so much less pressure now , Did you see the amount of fails !!!! omg

Couldn't believe I got 72%, made my week that did. Yeah a lot of fails alright, gonna be the most repeated module for 1st semester by far. The way John explained in the email bot the exam has made me feel fairly confident going into the final exam, having a question based off labsheet 1-2 and another one off labsheet 1-5 is great.

Feeling good about maths too, it's having an example question and solution of every possible question going into the final exam too, those 2 modules were my biggest concern at the start of the semester and i'm fairly comfortable now with them.

Just need to plough on with viss comm and write the 6 page report in web design (which seems beyond pointless).

• Advertisement

Couldn't believe I got 72%, made my week that did. Yeah a lot of fails alright, gonna be the most repeated module for 1st semester by far. The way John explained in the email bot the exam has made me feel fairly confident going into the final exam, having a question based off labsheet 1-2 and another one off labsheet 1-5 is great.

Feeling good about maths too, it's having an example question and solution of every possible question going into the final exam too, those 2 modules were my biggest concern at the start of the semester and i'm fairly comfortable now with them.

Just need to plough on with viss comm and write the 6 page report in web design (which seems beyond pointless).
    um what 6 page report
    !!!!!
    you only need a short Word report , the 6 page thing is mis leading the 6 page word document is a description of what the assignment is all about ! re read it for yourself no need to go to that much trouble

Thank christ for that.
    Have you much of it done? Im more or less finished but I'm having trouble with it displaying differently depending on screensize, no idea how to set it so that it appears the same no matter the screen.

Thank christ for that.
    Have you much of it done? Im more or less finished but I'm having trouble with it displaying differently depending on screensize, no idea how to set it so that it appears the same no matter the screen.
    same trouble here have the bulk of coding done looks crap but all features are there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Thank God that's LA3L over! :D

The presentations weren't that bad at all, up and down in 5 minutes. A lot of craic going on.

IT Apps was very handy also, the first CA in word/powerpoint was alot harder and time consuming.

Just the two projects in Web and VC now. Glad it's winding down..

AntiRip wrote: »
    Thank God that's LA3L over! :D

The presentations weren't that bad at all, up and down in 5 minutes. A lot of craic going on.

IT Apps was very handy also, the first CA in word/powerpoint was alot harder and time consuming.

Just the two projects in Web and VC now. Glad it's winding down..
    Yeah the presentations were pretty fun IT Apps tomorrow going ok at the other stuff , been a busy 12 weeks .

• Advertisement

Got IT Apps too tomorrow, still have a bit of work to do with the Viss Comm, don't mind the Illustrator stuff but the research aspect of it is gonna be a bit of a pain.

Got IT Apps too tomorrow, still have a bit of work to do with the Viss Comm, don't mind the Illustrator stuff but the research aspect of it is gonna be a bit of a pain.

20% for research book 40% for the site itself I thought mine was ok but having second thoughts now

considering how she marked the first project I don't think it has to be overly amazing. Mine is fairly simple but im happy enough with it.

The research is only a fraction of the previous ca with all the photos. Sketch two or three alternative sites. Print out a few sites also maybe. Once you get into it, it's not too bad. I have a fairly simple design, three colours throughout the whole site.
    The lecture thought it was good enough the last day anyway.

IT is ok. Make sure you know absolute referencing (F4 key) and if statements. Also the charts. In access, know your queries, forms, reports and relationships.
    I think you should do the access question first as there is quite a bit of data input and do the excel til last but up to yourself I suppose. Best of luck anyways

Jflah or Antirip, can either of ye get the Submit/Reset buttons to work in webdesign? Can't get them to do anything for me, copied the code as it was in the powerpoint lecture and nothing :confused:

Jflah or Antirip, can either of ye get the Submit/Reset buttons to work in webdesign? Can't get them to do anything for me, copied the code as it was in the powerpoint lecture and nothing :confused:
    Have,nt got to that yet on my site will be doing it tomorrow and let you know

<fieldset>
    <input value="Submit" name ="submit"type = "submit" />
    <input value="Cancel" name ="reset"type = "reset" />
    </fieldset>

Hope that helps

Lovely thanks

Lovely thanks
    hope that helped , when finishing your site get out marking scheme and check off everything , the more checks the more marks

All I need to do is meta tags, we never really covered it in class so not entirely sure what to put in for it. Have everything else included and everything is validated so I should be grand.

• Advertisement

All I need to do is meta tags, we never really covered it in class so not entirely sure what to put in for it. Have everything else included and everything is validated so I should be grand.
    just use the format:

<meta name = " author or keywords or copyright" content = " use keywords or your name or the date for copyright" />

put in 3/4 meta tags and you,re sorted.

Ah nice one. How you set for Vis Comm? Got my 4 pages more or less done but haven't done anything research wise.

Ah nice one. How you set for Vis Comm? Got my 4 pages more or less done but haven't done anything research wise.

Pretty much done few finishing touches , very very simple layouts but I like it

What I did with the meta tags is go to a similar site on the net and right click and view source on their homepage. You can then view the code and look at their meta tags. At the very least you will get some ideas.

What you were supposed to do is do the research first and then do the website, but I say everyone including myself did the opposite :).

Think I mentioned earlier, sketch out your storyboard of your own site and one of two alternatives. I'm also printing out a couple site ideas also. I think she's looking for a nice clean simple site anyway.

JB emailed out last year's xmas exams. They look ok especially the first two. The writing out the solutions could be tricky as you can test anything. Also he mentioned in class that you don't have to write everything. For example if there's a print sentence you can write print "
    ";whatever$, that kind of thing. I think 60% or more should easily be obtained with the first 2 questions and more if you attempt the third one. Best of luck anyway guys ;)

AntiRip wrote: »
    What you were supposed to do is do the research first and then do the website, but I say everyone including myself did the opposite :).

Think I mentioned earlier, sketch out your storyboard of your own site and one of two alternatives. I'm also printing out a couple site ideas also. I think she's looking for a nice clean simple site anyway.

JB emailed out last year's xmas exams. They look ok especially the first two. The writing out the solutions could be tricky as you can test anything. Also he mentioned in class that you don't have to write everything. For example if there's a print sentence you can write print "
    ";whatever$, that kind of thing. I think 60% or more should easily be obtained with the first 2 questions and more if you attempt the third one. Best of luck anyway guys ;)
    Yeah programming looks more than manageable hope fully lots of easy marks in it , I think overall things should be ok .Best of luck to you also !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

116 replies, 4351 views :eek:

Strong lurkers in Tralee.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Opinicus wrote: »
    116 replies, 4351 views :eek:

Strong lurkers in Tralee.

4354 now :eek:

even when you take out:
    - people with a genuine interest in here
    - people clicking back in to view a response
    - general interest from people in the classes who might in time start participating in here

*pondering

ah we'll just give it some more time :) Those viewing might contribute some more in time.

kerry4sam wrote: »
    4354 now :eek:

even when you take out:
    - people with a genuine interest in here
    - people clicking back in to view a response
    - general interest from people in the classes who might in time start participating in here

*pondering

ah we'll just give it some more time :) Those viewing might contribute some more in time.
    Jes*s people start saying something !!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

JFlah wrote: »
    Jes*s people start saying something !!!!!

well I for one won't be walking away from this easy. Their is potential in here and the forum just needs time so I'm prepared for that.

^^JFlah, when are you finishing up with your own exams before Christmas break?

Advertisement