Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Photo Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

MoeJay wrote: »
    Quick question: What NIR (or appear to be NIR) coaches are stored at Dundalk?

if there is any they would likely be Class 3000

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The RPSI have taken ownership of all 8 of the Gatwick Mk2Fs. Some will be used only for spare parts while a few will be converted from air brake to vacuum brakes and pressure heating instead of full air con to be used with the current Mk2s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

The RPSI have taken ownership of all 8 of the Gatwick Mk2Fs. Some will be used only for spare parts while a few will be converted from air brake to vacuum brakes and pressure heating instead of full air con to be used with the current Mk2s.

The carriages in Dundalk last Sunday https://thewandererphotos.smugmug.com/RailtoursPreservedRailways/2015/RPSI-Great-Northern-Getaway/i-vmJ3qTZ/A

Afternoon folks,

Pictures from around Killarney on Saturday and a few from Sunday. Also Mr. Church has supplied two images of Saturday's IWT Liners between Dublin and Ballina which were worked by 226 (Down) and (8)208 (Up).

Click http://smu.gs/1Pg6m6f to view.

DSC03090.55R-S.jpg]

DSC_2789-S.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

On 8208, what is that fitted above the LED marker lights on the off side on the no2. cab?

• Advertisement

On 8208, what is that fitted above the LED marker lights on the off side on the no2. cab?

It is a new jumper cable receptacle. I assume so the loco can "talk" to the on-board train system via the MMI screen. It is only fitted to the no. 2 end.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

It is a new jumper cable receptacle. I assume so the loco can "talk" to the on-board train system via the MMI screen. It is only fitted to the no. 2 end.

Indeed as the train/MMI need a standalone system as they can't communicate via the existing AAR system.

GM228

Evening all,

Today's update has images from Heuston and Portarlington. It includes TRV No. 700 and 071 Class No. 078 on the Ballast.
    Click http://smu.gs/1NvePnE to view.

DSC_2876-S.jpg

Evening all,

The weedspray train operated from Limerick to Portlaoise today and I captured it passing Clonkeen with 072 in charge. Other photos from the day include 219 on the 1300 Heuston - Cork.

Click the picture below to view today's images.

DSC_3014-M.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Whats the difference between them, the A1 carraige and the one at the other end.

roundymac wrote: »
    Whats the difference between them, the A1 carraige and the one at the other end.

I assume you're asking about the 22000s!

There are 5 types the As being the end cars with driving cabs and the Bs being the intermediates.

A1 - 1st class/cafe
    A2 - standard
    A3 - standard with wheelchair spaces, wheelchair toilet and bike racks.
    B - standard
    B1 - as per B but with sanding equipment.

GM228

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Actually 6 A car types 1,2,3 and 1,2,,3 with tpws/aws for NI

Incidentally you can't couple two A1 cars

Actually 6 A car types 1,2,3 and 1,2,,3 with tpws/aws for NI

Are they not refereed to as A11, A22, A33 as for coupling two A1s together there would never be a need as 9 coach are limited currently. While larger units can operate it's never really happened of IE's network.

Why can't two A1s go together anyway?

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Are they not refereed to as A11, A22, A33 as for coupling two A1s together there would never be a need as 9 coach are limited currently. While larger units can operate it's never really happened of IE's network.

Why can't two A1s go together anyway?

No officially there's only 5 A types if you include the NIR fitted As which are A22s and A33s but the added number was for maintenance (wiring diagrams) purposes only and not specifically to create another version as the distinction between A vehicles was originally only for accommodation type.

There is no A11, these are still A1s as they are a retro-fit.

It's not a case of 2 A1s been unable to couple, but it's actually an A1 can't couple to any other A, this was a software related issue.

GM228

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What happens in a rescue situation when the only available connection is A1-A1? Especially on a single track section with no loco availble.

Victor wrote: »
    What happens in a rescue situation when the only available connection is A1-A1? Especially on a single track section with no loco availble.

Chances of IE doing a 22 rescue is like 0, they fix them there and then or at least enough to get them to a station!

Victor wrote: »

I'll clarify that, nothing can/could couple to an A1 for normal running, this was due to a software issue with the trains onboard control software and only came about in recent times (during the re-configuration I think). In a failure situation another set could couple to an A1 but the 2 sets would not communicate properly for which there were a few procedures to carry out to enable the assistance.

I'm not certain but this issue may now be sorted howevwr, I'm sure The Wanderer could provide more on it!

GM228

Eh yes you can. There is no restrictions on coupling different types of cars together.

10 car trains do run between Heuston and Laois Depot for empty movements (22033 + 22036 operated yesterday to Heuston). However I've yet to get a photo of a 10 car!).

What I do know about the A1 cars is that if a 5ICR is coupled to a 3ICR or a 4ICR and the A1 Car is in the middle then the letter configuration will be

E + D + C + B + A + F + G + H + (I) as the A1 type car always defaults to letter A.

I must try and see two 5 car sets coupled together with the A1's in the middle and see what the letter configuration is and, if according to posters on here will it go BANG :)

Evening all,

072 and the Weedpsray Train made a return trip from Portlaoise to Heuston on Friday 21st August 2015. It was scheduled to operate as 1030 Portlaoise - Heuston and 1330 Heuston - Portlaoise. At 1350 it was passing Ratheven on the outskirts of Portlaoise on the return journey so it obviously had a good run both ways.

Click http://smu.gs/1PqGy7k to view.

DSC_3041-M.jpg

• Advertisement

Eh yes you can. There is no restrictions on coupling different types of cars together.

10 car trains do run between Heuston and Laois Depot for empty movements (22033 + 22036 operated yesterday to Heuston). However I've yet to get a photo of a 10 car!).

What I do know about the A1 cars is that if a 5ICR is coupled to a 3ICR or a 4ICR and the A1 Car is in the middle then the letter configuration will be

E + D + C + B + A + F + G + H + (I) as the A1 type car always defaults to letter A.

I must try and see two 5 car sets coupled together with the A1's in the middle and see what the letter configuration is and, if according to posters on here will it go BANG :)

Thanks for the clarification Wanderer, indeed the A1 will always default to coach A no matter where in the consist it is due to A being required for the seat reservation system as 1st class.

The only situation where an A1 won't be coach A is if there are two A1s in the consist as in a 10 car set in which case the seat reservation system will decide which A1 is coach A, the other A1 could be either F or J depending on where the two A1s are positioned.

I was under the impression that there was an issue in the past (software wise) that prevented other cars coupling to the A1s after the re-configuration programme but perhaps I got that wrong.

GM228

Morning folks,

Photos from the weekend just gone have now been uploaded to the website.

Featuring:
    - Portarlington.
    - Sallins.
    - New Enterprise livery MK3 EGV 9602 on Belfast services.
    - Various locations around Dublin including views from Croke Park on Sunday.
    - RPSI Radio Train Steam Spl. from Kilkenny to Connolly.

Click http://smu.gs/1EQaynr to view.

DSC_3057-M.jpg

DSC_3204-M.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Jaysus, God be with the days of the loose coupled goods and a brake van!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Evening all,

A day trip to London which turned out to be a rather rushed affair due to a fire at Dublin Airport which delayed my flight by 80 minutes.

This means its a smaller gallery than planned with photos from:
    - Dublin Airport.
    - Gatwick Airport.
    - London Victoria.
    - Hainault.
    - Heathrow Express at Heathrow Terminal 5.

Click http://smu.gs/1N1a4mC to view.

DSC_3530-M.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Thedarkb

20927696976_2af16f4a5d.jpg#073 on a wagon transfer. by thedarkb123, on Flickr
    073 on a wagon transfer
    20768758709_e8267f1301.jpg226 hauling the IWT liner. by thedarkb123, on Flickr
    226 on the IWT
    20333377724_212d3ca422.jpg#072 hauling the empty timber. by thedarkb123, on Flickr
    072 on an empty timber in kildare.
    20927553105_48a11f61ec.jpgIrish Rail's #078 on a DFDS liner by thedarkb123, on Flickr
    078 on the DFDS

Evening folks,

Pictures from Dublin on Monday and a visit to Killenard on Saturday for the Ballina - North Wall IWT Liner.

Click http://smu.gs/1JsMStx to view.

DSC_3610-M.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Thedarkb

20993829871_0590902c0c.jpgUgliest train in Ireland. by thedarkb123, on Flickr
    The most ugly item of rolling stock i've ever laid eyes on.
    20993818831_3dd5363e0f.jpg#086 hauling the empty timber through Thomastown. by thedarkb123, on Flickr
    and 086 on the empty
    20800978408_7c28ba9da2.jpg084 running light through kildare. by thedarkb123, on Flickr, on Flickr
    084 light in kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭angelIRL

Afternoon,

not a whole pile of photos taken on the railways over the last few weeks. I stop off at Little Island and Tivoli over the weekend to get a few shots:

20975691096_115b81691b_n.jpg
    Tivoli by Finbarr O Neill, on Flickr

20992320061_a1107163f0_n.jpg
    Rockgrove by Finbarr O Neill, on Flickr

F.

• Advertisement

Evening all,

A bumper update tonight.

* August gallery update with images from Ballykillane and the Nenagh Branch. Click http://smu.gs/1hPbkfZ
    * Lullymore Heritage and Discovery Park. A new narrow gauge railway is in development here. Click http://smu.gs/1EwDZk1
    * Railways of Bord na Mona. Images from the BnM at Lullymore Level Crossing and the cleared site at the former Cushina locomotive depot north of Portarlington. Click http://smu.gs/1KnUO2O

All galleries can also be accessed directly from the home page at http://thewandererphotos.com

DSC_3762-M.jpg
    DSC_3702-M.jpg
    DSC_3725-M.jpg

Advertisement