Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Brakes grinding - just the pads, or discs as well?

• 21-10-2014 12:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My rear brakes recently started the tell-tale whistle noise when braking, grand I though, I'll get the pads replaced at the end of the month. It's recently graduated to a low grinding noise, does that mean the discs will need to get changed as well? I recall in the past something similar happened to an old fiesta of mine, and it the drums and shoes needed replacing. Just trying to figure out the cost.

Also, is it a big job? Contemplating giving it a go myself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Discs have a minimum thickness that you can measure. Otherwise you can guess by the size of the lip around the edge of the disc or it may have a wear indicator.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,441 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The whistle you mentioned is the warning to get to the garage ASAP and have te pads changed.
    It doesn't mean drive around for a few weeks and plan it in sometime soon.

Once you've started grinding into the disc surface as you have now it's a bit of a lottery, maybe you've damaged the surface enoug that it needs changing. If nothing the damaged surface will eat pads much quicker going forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Ah shyte! Cheers for the replies lads, I suppose this will serve as a lesson to not let it slide in the future. Booked into the mechanic for tomorrow, from talking over the phone the guy thinks the discs might have to go as well (though I'm sure he'd say that). Ah well, expensive lesson learned!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Garage is the right move I drove for a week or two before when the front brake was grinding and destroyed the disc which had to be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭chicorytip

_Brian wrote: »
    The whistle you mentioned is the warning to get to the garage ASAP and have te pads changed.
    It doesn't mean drive around for a few weeks and plan it in sometime soon.

Once you've started grinding into the disc surface as you have now it's a bit of a lottery, maybe you've damaged the surface enoug that it needs changing. If nothing the damaged surface will eat pads much quicker going forward.

What about a low grinding noise from rear drum brakes ? What can that indicate ? Shoes need replacing ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

chicorytip wrote: »
    What about a low grinding noise from rear drum brakes ? What can that indicate ? Shoes need replacing ?

There's two types of grinding noise. A badly adjusted handbrake will have a different grinding noise than the metal on metal sound a brake shoe, that has worn through to the backing pad, makes. The first leads to the second :pac:.

Advertisement