Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Warning - Nissan Qashqai clutch failure

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

April08 wrote: »
    I have a 2010 Qashqai and I have had nothing but trouble from day one. Firstly, three weeks after purchasing I noticed the paint bubbling on the boot. I brought back to the dealer and several phone calls and letter writing to Nissan HQ and haggling finally got them to agree to replace the boot lid. They only wanted to respray it. The second problem came 6 months on when the fan belt went. THey duly replaced it. The third problem came at 12 months when the bearing in the front went. They replaced this too. Has anyone encountered problems like these with their new Qashqai?...... I will NEVER buy another NISSAN again. I had a Toyota for years and never had a problem.

That doesn't sound that bad? Do you think cars require no work or maintainance at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

I have a 2010 Qashqai and I have had nothing but trouble from day one. Firstly, three weeks after purchasing I noticed the paint bubbling on the boot. I brought back to the dealer and several phone calls and letter writing to Nissan HQ and haggling finally got them to agree to replace the boot lid. They only wanted to respray it. The second problem came 6 months on when the fan belt went. THey duly replaced it. The third problem came at 12 months when the bearing in the front went. They replaced this too. Has anyone encountered problems like these with their new Qashqai?...... I will NEVER buy another NISSAN again. I had a Toyota for years and never had a problem.

Thats awful and your right no mass produced product with over 10,000 individual parts should ever give a problem you should have gone straight to your solicitor :rolleyes:

As a previous poster said the biggest problem with early clutch failure on modern diesels is the fact that they produce the max torque at very low rpm in many cases < 300 nm above 1800 Rpm
    What happens is people who were used to driving petrol vehicles continue while parking or manouvering to control vehicle speed with their left foot ie clutching while keeping RPM above 1500 RPm end result clutch gone 50 K or less

• Registered Users Posts: 20 YESHUCKSTER

ianobrien wrote: »
    While knowing nothing about the driving style of the OP, all I can say that given the abundance on modern diesels with loads of low down torque on the road, I'm not surprised if clutches are being burned out.

The amount of people I hear and smell slipping clutches on diesel cars is unreal when out walking around any hilly parts of town. It seems that people were used to the characteristics of torque delivery of a petrol engine and are driving the diesels that way, resulting in lots of needless slipping clutches.

Also, OP, is this your first Nissan? I know that the Nissan hydraulic clutches can take a small bit of getting used to and can lack "feel". I know it took a bit to get used to mine.

By the way, my record for burning out a clutch is 1.2 miles.......

It is a 1.6 Petrol model

Darsad wrote: »

Thats awful and your right no mass produced product with over 10,000 individual parts should ever give a problem you should have gone straight to your solicitor :rolleyes:

As a previous poster said the biggest problem with early clutch failure on modern diesels is the fact that they produce the max torque at very low rpm in many cases < 300 nm above 1800 Rpm
    What happens is people who were used to driving petrol vehicles continue while parking or manouvering to control vehicle speed with their left foot ie clutching while keeping RPM above 1500 RPm end result clutch gone 50 K or less

This thread relates to a 1.6 PETROL Qashqui with faulty hardware (non consumable) I.e. Clutch failure. Exibit A for this POV is same driver having a polo & a corolla both for 100k miles with zero clutch issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

This thread relates to a 1.6 PETROL Qashqui with faulty hardware (non consumable) I.e. Clutch failure. Exibit A for this POV is same driver having a polo & a corolla both for 100k miles with zero clutch issues.

A clutch is a consumable though, it wears out. While I feel that 50K is a tad early its not unreasonable for it to be worn out at this stage. Generally if there are manufacturing defects these things wear out very quickly, not after 50K miles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

PaulKK wrote: »
    A clutch is a consumable though, it wears out. While I feel that 50K is a tad early its not unreasonable for it to be worn out at this stage. Generally if there are manufacturing defects these things wear out very quickly, not after 50K miles.

Exactly I have heard of DMF'S going at this mileage.

PaulKK wrote: »

Can't be considered a consumable if in one make / model it can take endless milage with same driving pattern / style from same driver yet another car it fails early. Would you say the same thing about anything else? Can't believe that people think this is an acceptable issue for certain models. Next time i pay 26k for a car I'll be avoiding the Nissan forecourt.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

ottostreet wrote: »
    That doesn't sound that bad? Do you think cars require no work or maintainance at all?

Lots of Irish people assume this, got INCREDIBLY lucky on old Toyota/Nissan lumps and curse every car they've bought (and failed to maintain) since.

MYOB wrote: »
    Lots of Irish people assume this, got INCREDIBLY lucky on old Toyota/Nissan lumps and curse every car they've bought (and failed to maintain) since.

Repairing faulty paint, fan belt and bearings all within the first 12 months of a cars life should not be considered maintainence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Can't be considered a consumable if in one make / model it can take endless milage with same driving pattern / style from same driver yet another car it fails early. Would you say the same thing about anything else? Can't believe that people think this is an acceptable issue for certain models. Next time i pay 26k for a car I'll be avoiding the Nissan forecourt.

Just as a matter of interest, I'm wondering what makes you qualified to state the above? I'm not being smart, I'm just wondering if you are a mechanic/motor engineer etc?

Can you actually prove that Nissan should have covered this item under warranty, I.e. an independent engineers report etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Theres plenty of things that are similar like that. Different models of tyres by the same manufacturer will have much different life spans. Thats without even including different brands.

If every clutch was the same there'd be only 1 company making them (the cheapest). Why would anyone else bother?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 AndrewBond

Repairing faulty paint, fan belt and bearings all within the first 12 months of a cars life should not be considered maintainence.

You can get a bad luck like this with any other new car. I am not a particular fan of Nissans and have no interest in protecting their image, but I can assure you, they are far from being the worst on the market (not the best either). What I am trying to say, that decision to avoid Nissans won't guarantee you peace of mind, you still have a small chance to get into similar troubles with any other car

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Hence the warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭barura

Just wondering, if a clutch went after 60k miles over 5 years, would you still feel the same? That's only the difference of 10kmiles but 2 more years "trouble free". I understand your woes, a clutch shouldn't go like that, but perhaps you just got a bad roll of the dice. There are exceptions to everything. If this cluch lasts you 100kmiles+, would you still be singing the same tune?

Also bigger car + low(ish) powered engine would result in a quicker clutch failure? A clutch in a small car can take a hell of a load of trashing as it's not being put under as much stress due to the weight it has to pull, which is considerably less. I'm referring to your Polo that's done 100k+ no clutch replacement.

In short, sorry your clutch went, but maybe the next one won't go so soon, but 50k and 750 being the biggest cost so far is quite reasonable, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 damien doyle

I have a 09 nissian quashqui & there is a smell from the clutch my warrarnty is nearly out but wonder is these cars any good as i had a fiesta for 8 years with no trouble now i have water in the boot & burning clutch what next

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭b.c

Nissan = Renault, I have been through an expensive clutch recently, clutch plate, pressure plate and release bearing were all fine,dmf flywheel worn out? First clutch ever replaced in 21 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I think there's no point in talking about comparing clutches now to 20 years ago.
    There is no doubt that they have been engineered to be lighter and produced as cheaply as is acceptably possible.
    This would seem to have reduced their lifetime in many cases and across many makes / models they have become a long life consumable item.

My brother has a 08 Focus and has just done the clutch, one of our friends has an SMax and theirs was done last summer 08 as well.

I appreciate OP being frustrated, but I think clutches need to be taken as a long life consumable.

I think the developments in vehicle reliability and technology are worth it compared to the few places we've last out on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

WHAT FRESH HELL IS THIS???????????

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sammyano

Guys, I have been searching for nissan Qashqai 2009 - 2010 and after reading all these now a bit confused - currently own a 2001 Almera from new and have not had any problem with it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

The reliability of engines, transmission and electrical systems of modern cars is gone to bits.

The mechanics / garage owners on here who argue that it is all down to skipping maintenance by the owners are talking rubbish and their self-interest in expensive repairs is obvious.

VAG, BMW and the others will never produce trouble free cars until the EU forces them to give a 5 year guarantee, or something like that. No chance of that happening though, given the importance of the motor industry.

Your best chance of getting a trouble free car is a Toyota or Honda, with a petrol engine. They are not turbo charging their engines (so far).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,609 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I think the 51 posters on this page should give the OP a tenner to ease the pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Poulgorm wrote: »
    The mechanics / garage owners on here who argue that it is all down to skipping maintenance by the owners are talking rubbish and their self-interest in expensive repairs is obvious....

...Your best chance of getting a trouble free car is a Toyota or Honda, with a petrol engine. They are not turbo charging their engines (so far)...

You sir, are talking rubbish. For the last 5 or so years the attitude to maintaining a car be the average Joe has changed. The view now is to do as little as possible with seduced maintenance, fit lower quality/second hand tyres and run it till it dies. The down side to all this is cars are having mechanical failures on parts that didn't give trouble when maintained properly. I've seen a few cars require replacement engines due to general lack of servicing as well as accidents caused by worn or bald causing people to skid.
    There is no 'vested Interests' or big conspericy to get Joe public to spend money they don't have so enough with the tinfoil hat ideas.

Also, Toyota really not as good as they were, Honda ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭greasepalm

i think i have replaced 5 clutches on these and on 08 regs lol getting worried when another comes in ,i ask hows your clutch?think women think i am talking about their body parts:eek::D:D

bloody lucky sods getting that long out of a clutch,read elsewhere 74 miles on a clutch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

Poulgorm wrote: »

Your best chance of getting a trouble free car is a Toyota or Honda, with a petrol engine. They are not turbo charging their engines (so far).

I agreed 100% until this bit.

OP has a turbo small engines diesel, what do Toyota have?

How many different million car recalls did Toyota / honda have?

Toyota / honda are aiming for the exact same high mpg figures as their rivals which are only attainable with hugely complex electrical wizardry

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

Nissan now makes crap cars since 1999 when they up alliance in 1999 with Renault

http://forum.qashqaiclub.co.uk/clutch-problems_topic8757.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I was looking to buy a brand new car there a year or so ago and dealer specifically told me clutch isn't included in warranty , his exact words were, you could buy this car, do 10 miles up the road and the clutch isn't covered under warranty .
    A person can burn a clutch out in no time at all .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

We've never had to replace a clutch in any of our cars, and between us we have had 5, current one has 190k miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Flywheel went on my dads 09 quashqai cost €1000 to replace it. That was in the summer and now the clutch has gone in it! Wouldn't go near nissan again, I've a 10 year old car and never had one problem with it apart from the odd bulb replacement!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

bri007 wrote: »
    Flywheel went on my dads 09 quashqai cost €1000 to replace it. That was in the summer and now the clutch has gone in it! Wouldn't go near nissan again, I've a 10 year old car and never had one problem with it apart from the odd bulb replacement!

Bit silly not to replace the clutch with the flywheel, especially on a 5 year old car. You're paying for the same labour again as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Yeah looking back now wish he did that, my dad doesn't know a whole lot about cars so unless it was suggested to do so he wouldn't of thought of doing so!

Just going to have to pay the price for it now and get rid of it, more trouble than it's worth one thing after another with it since he got it!

Has very low millage on it as well

Advertisement