Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

smell of roses

• 10-12-2008 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

lads anyone know bout the smell of roses and what they mean?
    reason is the father expierenced something like this with a very strong smell during an illness with cancer, he has had a few expierences,
    anyways he passed away two weeks ago and i always told him let me know if anything out there in a suttle way!!

anyone an idea on the roses thingy??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

First thing tht comes to mind is that the smell of roses is and has been assocted with Padre Pio both when he was alive and after his death when people were said to have prayed and petitioned for healing help.

http://acatholiclife.blogspot.com/2006/02/miracles-of-st-padre-pio.html
    He had the Gift of Perfume:

Sometimes God allows saints to emit a beautiful perfume in order to draw more people to Himself and holiness. This perfume is smelt only by a priveldged few, not all. St. Padre Pio had this gift and the smell of roses, incense, ammonia, and others was emitted from him. He said to some inquiring about them: "They are only a sign of my presence."

Father Agostino of San Marco in Lamis had a malfunctioned olfactory gland and could only smell strong odors. He said, "I smelt a number of times the perfume that many people smell. Even when I was distant from San Giovanni Rotondo I smelt it." The Gift of Perfume continued after St. Padre Pio's death. Not just places connected with him but also places in American and distant places of the world smelt the distinct perfume.

http://www.spiritualsisters.com/page117.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 23 feorais

Thaedydal wrote: »
    First thing tht comes to mind is that the smell of roses is and has been assocted with Padre Pio both when he was alive and after his death when people were said to have prayed and petitioned for healing help.

http://acatholiclife.blogspot.com/2006/02/miracles-of-st-padre-pio.html

http://www.spiritualsisters.com/page117.htm
    St Teresa (of the roses), when her relicts are taken from country to country, thousands of people convene, as they did in Longford Cathedral a few years ago, such is the belief and devotion to her. The smell of roses is said to occur and some people are priveleged to experience the aroma, but it would seem one has to have the gift of faith, similar to Saint Padre Pio,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭kshiel

I'd be more inclinded to think what the smell of roses meant to your dad. The answer may lie there.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Im with ksheil, Id always be inclined to relate anything like this to your own personal circumstances and what such a smell means to you.

For instance, my mother has at times smelled pipe smoke, usually just for a brief moment, and in a place where no one is smoking and you shouldnt get such a smell. Her father always smoked a pipe, so to her, its a way of him letting her know hes around. She takes huge comfort from it.

I asked a clairvoyant once who was around me. All she could tell me was she could smell roses. (The person I often get around me is called Rose) So again, its something specific to me, that makes sense. Smell is one of the least intrusive senses, if such a thing is coming from spirit its the one way of making contact that wont freak you out. (Not like if you got a tap on the shoulder, say).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭The-Star

I think the smell of roses in this case was for your Dad's attention. it is possible that a soul was with him and their calling card- so as to speak!- was the smell of roses. Take comfort that whoever was giving him the smell of roses knew his time was running out and was there waiting for him when he passes over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

The Flower smell to me is my Grandmother, it smell like walking into a florist shop on a warm summers day, really strong must. I first got it shortly after her death and a few times in the intervining years. I say a prayer for her and it goes away(but not until i inhale really deeply :D) strange thing is that it only happens when I am in bed, i don't have any flowers or fresheners in the bedroom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭The-Star

Musha wrote: »
    The Flower smell to me is my Grandmother, it smell like walking into a florist shop on a warm summers day, really strong must. I first got it shortly after her death and a few times in the intervining years. I say a prayer for her and it goes away(but not until i inhale really deeply :D) strange thing is that it only happens when I am in bed, i don't have any flowers or fresheners in the bedroom

Sounds like your Gran is watching over you and when she is around, you get the smell of roses. If you are relaxed, such as in between sleep and being awake are minds are able to pick up the signs that they send us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 missprincess

just wanted to reply,i have also got the smell of roses it happened about 10 years ago while walking home late at nite from a nite out(something i wudnt do now!!)but anyhow i live near an old graveyard,the wall is about 7ft high and not a garden to be seen,and i got this really strong smell of roses,i never felt scared i actualy felt really safe and at ease,but this experience has stayed with me,i believe and have been told that it was good spirits around me...so maybe the same for your father good spirits there waiting for him to guide him to other side!:)

Advertisement