Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Efibre Macroom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭MrLucidLJ

Can anyone say what the very minimum that efibre will offer, if it says your area is in the efibre map but you're between 1.5 and 2 km away from the cabinet?

I asked the same question about speeds depending on distance away they gave me a rough estimate of like 30mbs which is not good enough for me when its up to 100mbs. But from relooking at the map I am only like 300m from the exchange roughly so might get 50mb or more now. Thats the best answer I can give from what the other lads told me in the thread they know a lot more then I do lol

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Can anyone say what the very minimum that efibre will offer, if it says your area is in the efibre map but you're between 1.5 and 2 km away from the cabinet?

The threshold to be systematically possible is 7mb, that can be up to 2.2km on a GOOD line. But, I don't know if they're selling to those lines right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 suaimhneas_de

ED E wrote: »
    If you're getting 5 at most you're 3.75km, most likely less than 3.5 from the exchange. If to reach the cab it would be 5km you aren't through that cab.

Line may be underground on the main road.

Either way sounds like none of this will benefit you.

> Is there a way to determine which Cabinet I'm connected to (just wondering if its MRM1_003) AND

> Is there a way to determine distance to the Cabinet (and not as the crow flies via the fibrerollout map !!!)

Thanks...

> Is there a way to determine which Cabinet I'm connected to (just wondering if its MRM1_003) AND

> Is there a way to determine distance to the Cabinet (and not as the crow flies via the fibrerollout map !!!)

Only a local eircom technician could tell you.

Google maps running via roads gives a pretty good estimate, but theres no way to measure it until a cab is finished and the prequals are run. Based on the prequals you can estimate loop length.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

I'm only between 200-300m from a cab here in Duleek Meath the efibre map showed the area as been activated in August now it's saying Jan-Apr 2015 WTF they have installed the cabs all over the town but yet its been pushed back so far i wasn't holding my breath at getting it this month i thought maybe October at the latest .

On the eircom wholesale pages it shows the cabinets as Fibre build commenced completion work in progress it also shows 2 cabinets that havn't even been installed yet.

Was hoping for fibre soon but oh well guess it was too good to be true.
    getting 14.5 Mb/s off DSL right now some people are getting near 20Mb/s downloads are fine it's the upload speed that kills me it's too slow always is on DSL . :(

• Advertisement

jay93 wrote: »
    I'm only between 200-300m from a cab here in Duleek Meath the efibre map showed the area as been activated in August now it's saying Jan-Apr 2015 WTF they have installed the cabs all over the town but yet its been pushed back so far i wasn't holding my breath at getting it this month i thought maybe October at the latest .

On the eircom wholesale pages it shows the cabinets as Fibre build commenced completion work in progress it also shows 2 cabinets that havn't even been installed yet.

Was hoping for fibre soon but oh well guess it was too good to be true.
    getting 14.5 Mb/s off DSL right now some people are getting near 20Mb/s downloads are fine it's the upload speed that kills me it's too slow always is on DSL . :(

I feel your pain brother its been like that for me for near 6 months where it keep changes now I hope with the one near me which is same like a few 100 meters that I will be able to get really decent speeds. I too would like the increase in uploads as well as you said its poor on our current lines download speeds are decent but would want triple at least once fibre comes. I hope that it comes for you soon dude and your not waiting till next year.

Thanks bro I hope so too getting tired of eircoms lies on the dates of activation vodafone sent us a letter on our bill a few months back saying fibre would be coming soon but it's still not here .. Yeah it's bad with the upload because if someone is uploading something it's impossible to use the Internet this seems to be the case with all DSL. I too hope that you get fibre soon too :) for now I can deal with my DSL as its close to 15Mb/s but I would prefer to have fibre ..

Thanks bro I hope so too getting tired of eircoms lies on the dates of activation vodafone sent us a letter on our bill a few months back saying fibre would be coming soon but it's still not here .. Yeah it's bad with the upload because if someone is uploading something it's impossible to use the Internet this seems to be the case with all DSL. I too hope that you get fibre soon too :) for now I can deal with my DSL as its close to 15Mb/s but I would prefer to have fibre ..

I tried to go on Live chat today with Eircom asking them this simple question. I said about how the exchange goes live today with eFibre when will the actual service become available they said we will let you know as we can not give you a date. Its a pure joke they are dreadful. They should have dates on when exchanges go live and then when they will get homes connected to that exchange not this wait and see bs. Been waiting 6 months. Im happy enough on what we have at least we have a decent connection but been waiting so long for this guess Ill be lucky to get it as a crimbo present lol

The threshold to be systematically possible is 7mb, that can be up to 2.2km on a GOOD line. But, I don't know if they're selling to those lines right now.

I had a quick question, with the Exchange I told you that is near me that is meant to go live today with eFibre service how long do you think it will take before it actually comes to my house does it take ages then after for it to become available?

MrLucidLJ wrote: »
    I had a quick question, with the Exchange I told you that is near me that is meant to go live today with eFibre service how long do you think it will take before it actually comes to my house does it take ages then after for it to become available?

Are you connected through a cab or direct to the exchange do you think?

Edit scrolled back, cab 9 is what you meant. If it went ready for order today installs will start within 28days normally AFAIK.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

MrLucidLJ call eircom ask them what exchange you are terminated too its the only way to be sure , IE some people along a main road may have direct connect and no LLU (Local Loop unbundling - this is how they handle the hand over from old broadband connection to the new one with no disruption to customers) yet decided upon and thus a further delay, yet others nearby can have it possibly due to more recent cable runs and age of certain estates. A towns cable infrastructure will not be the same in all areas and older residences may have older direct runs to exchanges.

In my situation i guestimate and by using snr line attenuation calculators (Google them online these are again best effort guess as cabling can be a factor if bad or damaged cables exist) That i am around 1km - 1.2 km away from my exchange in macroom which is MRMA (Nested in the village exchange building) - last 3 days they now show an orange indicator for a planned green box and this unit is marked to be installed outside the door of the main Macroom exchange - if your on MRMA or MRMB then that one will be for you and a delay to be expected.

One thing i did do was pull every copper connection from where it comes into the house and pear the wires to expose nice shiny copper as dull copper indicates oxidation and thus line interference. Do this for every link in the chain the faceplate and main internal box . ( also had an old run in the house that ran upstairs and it had, at some stage a sharp dent in the line and this was slowing my connection previous to jumping up to 17MB download.)

You want to lower your attenuation and increase SNR - I get 17MB Down on NGA but have to wait for MRMA to be provided with LLU solution from ericom to then be signed off by Comreg.

Buddy in Cavan did say in the start it was down more than up but now ESB and Yoda phone have implemented some more units to fix that between him and his CPE. His speeds sit nicely at around 80 MB down but i think hes been put on a stability profile - haven't had the chance to visit and look at the gear in use - nor do we know His distances . ESB use huge fat core copper so distances can be much farther on this system - and faster to boot.

You may need Eircom to tell you directly you are terminated to MRM_009 as i ahve two of those green boxes within 700 meters of me either side but no efiber for me.

dbit wrote: »
    MrLucidLJ call eircom ask them what exchange you are terminated too its the only way to be sure , IE some people along a main road may have direct connect and no LLU (Local Loop unbundling - this is how they handle the hand over from old broadband connection to the new one with no disruption to customers) yet decided upon and thus a further delay, yet others nearby can have it possibly due to more recent cable runs and age of certain estates. A towns cable infrastructure will not be the same in all areas and older residences may have older direct runs to exchanges.

They wont be able to tell any more than the websites number checker will. If his cable path is direct fed only local eircom wholesale staff will know.
    In my situation i guestimate and by using snr line attenuation calculators (Google them online these are again best effort guess as cabling can be a factor if bad or damaged cables exist) That i am around 1km - 1.2 km away from my exchange in macroom which is MRMA (Nested in the village exchange building) - last 3 days they now show an orange indicator for a planned green box and this unit is marked to be installed outside the door of the main Macroom exchange - if your on MRMA or MRMB then that one will be for you and a delay to be expected.

Ignore the marker position, somebody was lazy with their clicks. MRM1_E01 will be in a rack in the exchange. In fact itll probably be several racks.
    One thing i did do was pull every copper connection from where it comes into the house and pear the wires to expose nice shiny copper as dull copper indicates oxidation and thus line interference. Do this for every link in the chain the faceplate and main internal box . ( also had an old run in the house that ran upstairs and it had, at some stage a sharp dent in the line and this was slowing my connection previous to jumping up to 17MB download.)

Not bad advice, but when fibre becomes available they'll re-wired the MDP anyways.
    You want to lower your attenuation and increase SNR - I get 17MB Down on NGA but have to wait for MRMA to be provided with LLU solution from ericom to then be signed off by Comreg.

You may need Eircom to tell you directly you are terminated to MRM_009 as i ahve two of those green boxes within 700 meters of me either side but no efiber for me.

Exchanges nationally are now being marked for VDSL(eFibre) so Comreg(more the other ISPs) have said "go". No ETAs yet but its on the way. I suspect they might finish phase 1 of 1.4 mil premises via FTTC cabs and then start turning on exchange racks for ordering.

@Lucid go here https://www.eircom.net/broadband/productDetails?id=bu_23 and check your phone number, see if it gives a result.

Buddy in Cavan did say in the start it was down more than up but now ESB and Yoda phone have implemented some more units to fix that between him and his CPE. His speeds sit nicely at around 80 MB down but i think hes been put on a stability profile - haven't had the chance to visit and look at the gear in use - nor do we know His distances . ESB use huge fat core copper so distances can be much farther on this system - and faster to boot.

Thanks for all your help I did a networking degree didn't finish but some of the things you said are a bit above my head. Im going to post an image to this thread to show you what has been said.

They wont be able to tell any more than the websites number checker will. If his cable path is direct fed only local eircom wholesale staff will know.

Ignore the marker position, somebody was lazy with their clicks. MRM1_E01 will be in a rack in the exchange. In fact itll probably be several racks.

Not bad advice, but when fibre becomes available they'll re-wired the MDP anyways.

Thanks fpr the link this is the result it gave me which never gave to me before:

Exchanges nationally are now being marked for VDSL(eFibre) so Comreg(more the other ISPs) have said "go". No ETAs yet but its on the way. I suspect they might finish phase 1 of 1.4 mil premises via FTTC cabs and then start turning on exchange racks for ordering.

@Lucid go here https://www.eircom.net/broadband/productDetails?id=bu_23 and check your phone number, see if it gives a result.

Thanks for the link this is the result it gave me which never gave to me before:

10172D384AB547CE8B0FD4E381E39265-0000374859-0003633144-00701L-848A852F930D4F0FAD061BAE1E5E4A5D.jpg

Seems like they updated the map again and now it's saying my area will be getting it in Sep-14 which is much better than jan-apr 2015 , checked the line on the efibre checker and its saying the same there too so hopefully it will be up and running next month.

Seems like they updated the map again and now it's saying my area will be getting it in Sep-14 which is much better than jan-apr 2015 , checked the line on the efibre checker and its saying the same there too so hopefully it will be up and running next month.

Your Duleek isn't it and thats a vast Improvement hope we both get it in the next month or so just can't wait and hope the speeds are going to be really good for the both of us. :)

Now they are saying that its not available when I put my number in today thats really bizzare.

You are getting the same message as me that its in the area but not enabled at your address yet , I smell direct Fed , In my case it took almost 13 -14 calls to them to get them to give me the name of my terminating exchange .(With great heartache and pain i got to the advanced BB support team and in there they told me i was on MRMA ( So direct Fed) What you should try doing now is get the numbers for maybe the garage on the far said (Kerry side of macroom and check the number for that , or check the line for a house in the cabinet areas to see the difference in response - if any ?????

One guy in Eircom went as far as to say "You will never get fiber in that area" , This then led me in here to meet ED and his info helped me correlate my scenario.

I have just tested the phone numbers for the recycling center, Topaz and a multitude of businesses out there and i get same **** all saying its enabled but not at the address - seems moot only way to tell si to speak with them and ask for the go live date for your house. If they dilly dally then possibly you are on direct fed only they dont want to tell you its going to take even longer ???

Yesterday the main exchange in Macroom now shows up as 300 premises can now order efiber and the towns 5 cabs now show as live. If they cannot tell you that you can sign up on the phone now then there is something really wrong. They also have a planned cab ( In the same place as the main exchange - LLU cannot be an excuse for this bull**** carry on as its going to be the same solution for the already active people ) for all us dopey ****s on the direct fed.

• Advertisement

Yesterday the main exchange in Macroom now shows up as 300 premises can now order efiber and the towns 5 cabs now show as live. If they cannot tell you that you can sign up on the phone now then there is something really wrong. They also have a planned cab ( In the same place as the main exchange - LLU cannot be an excuse for this bull**** carry on as its going to be the same solution for the already active people ) for all us dopey ****s on the direct fed.

Yes I was checking that site as well and it said the same 300 premises with it and yet we don't have it. Your right you ask their technical team on Eircom any dates when Engineers will set up estates and get no reply its a complete joke at this stage hoping it might be there by the end of the month and at worst end of next month. The guy who sold it to me said Fibre would be here at the end of last month. Called him up because he left his number and he doesn't know complete joke.

Well if direct Fed like me to that exchange then you can see they have an orange "Planned" cab with no dates - if the LLU was tested for teh 300 + Premises from that location then why didnt they factor in the rest of the mainstreet area = Answer = greedy bastards wanted to absorb higher sign up rates by enabling cabinets near larger estates. Looking at the ESB site Macroom unfortunately is not on the first phase so 2015-2016 for us in that regard. I have seen ESB networks in Ballincollig where i work tearing up roads and running fiber currently.

Im even considering switching to Nova or some wireless solution .......... Why does it feel like Eircom where PT only yesterday. This lame dog needs putting down.

Here is the **** from Eircon !

Re: Confusing support advice for efiber !! [ New ]
    Options
    ‎18-07-2014 01:01 PM - edited ‎18-07-2014 01:04 PM

Hi DBIT

I can confirm that not all areas in the shaded green area on the coverage map will be able to avail of an upgrade and this is because works to cabinets will be ongoing in to the future. This is why there is a message located besides the coverage map stating:

"Please note: This map is for illustrative purposes only and not all homes within the eFibre area can avail of the service. To see if your home is enabled please choose your bundle and enter your phone number or address into our line checker"

In some shaded green areas there will also be lines served by exchanges which are not planned to deliver VDSL cabinets and I'm sorry to confirm that the Macroom AXE (MRMA) is one of these - I fully understand your disappointment especially considering the reliance on faster speeds required by the nature of your career.

I also fully understand your feelings on the position of directly fed lines from the exchange however at regulations presently don’t allow for high speed broadband to be delivered straight from exchanges, however we do have a solution and we are hopeful that once approved we will be able to deploy by 2015.

Understandably this news has come at a large inconvenience to you and I do apologise that I cannot offer you the news you desire.

Thanks
    Al

When the time comes, and i move I will ensure my DD account gets nuked and i create a fresh one, dirty scumbags will not be able to draw down the 18 month contract price as I have seen them do to others who Attempt to break contract. Eircom have the practice of reaching into your DD account to pull the funds for the rest of the contract . You see Eircom no one likes you , so take your football and go home no one cares.

Well if direct Fed like me to that exchange then you can see they have an orange "Planned" cab with no dates - if the LLU was tested for teh 300 + Premises from that location then why didnt they factor in the rest of the mainstreet area = Answer = greedy bastards wanted to absorb higher sign up rates by enabling cabinets near larger estates. Looking at the ESB site Macroom unfortunately is not on the first phase so 2015-2016 for us in that regard. I have seen ESB networks in Ballincollig where i work tearing up roads and running fiber currently.

Im even considering switching to Nova or some wireless solution .......... Why does it feel like Eircom where PT only yesterday. This lame dog needs putting down.

We are not part of the orange cabinet that is planned we are near the MRMA 09 one aren't we? And Yes it seems like Vodafone and the likes are just signing people up without giving them clear dates on when they will be active or the service available. And thats a pity where is the site to check ESB rollout. What is Nova and other options out there.

When the time comes, and i move I will ensure my DD account gets nuked and i create a fresh one, dirty scumbags will not be able to draw down the 18 month contract price as I have seen them do to others who Attempt to break contract. Eircom have the practice of reaching into your DD account to pull the funds for the rest of the contract . You see Eircom no one likes you , so take your football and go home no one cares.

So what does this mean that the MRMA 09 exhcange won't have fiber till 2015 or is it a different exchange in the area won't have it? It seems pretty **** from the message you sent what Eircom said to you, seem like myself you have been waiting on this for a long ass time and keeping a keen eye on it.

MrLucidLJ wrote: »
    So what does this mean that the MRMA 09 exhcange won't have fiber till 2015 or is it a different exchange in the area won't have it? It seems pretty **** from the message you sent what Eircom said to you, seem like myself you have been waiting on this for a long ass time and keeping a keen eye on it.

You're confusing things here by using the wrong term, so just to clarify.

MRM1_009 Is a cabinet, not an exchange, think we determined thats the one near you Lucid.
    MRMA is a side of the MDF in the Macroom Telephone Exchange(MRM)
    MRM02 or similar is what you guys are currently connected to (for ADSL).

All five cabs (2,3,5,9,10) are live, that means if your number doesnt get the green light on the eircom site, you are direct fed and need MRM1_E01 which is a rack in MRM exchange to go live, which will be several months at least.

You're confusing things here by using the wrong term, so just to clarify.

MRM1_009 Is a cabinet, not an exchange, think we determined thats the one near you Lucid.
    MRMA is a side of the MDF in the Macroom Telephone Exchange(MRM)
    MRM02 or similar is what you guys are currently connected to (for ADSL).

All five cabs (2,3,5,9,10) are live, that means if your number doesnt get the green light on the eircom site, you are direct fed and need MRM1_E01 which is a rack in MRM exchange to go live, which will be several months at least.

Sorry for confusing things I know stuff about computers but all the technical side with cabinets and exchange not so much. My girlfriends friend is getting Efibre and she is closer to the MRM1_002 cabinet and she is getting 95mb since a few days ago. She lives in a different estate to us. We are slightly closer to the 09 one but not too far away from the 02 one as well. I know that all the cabinets you said were live but, do you think they do it estate by estate even if the cabinets are live?

Nope, once a cab is live, its all live. You'll need to wait for the direct fed lines to go live.

• Advertisement

Nope, once a cab is live, its all live. You'll need to wait for the direct fed lines to go live.

So you are saying that when a cabinet is live every estate in the area of the cabinet should be connected and getting Fibre? Do any actual engineers not have to come into estates to hook up people phone lines to enable fibre? And where is this other cabinet located in Macroom the one with the direct fed line?

Advertisement