Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Killarney Cross over Crucifix

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

kylith wrote: »
    Very few 6 year olds would play those games, but that's how old I was when one of my classmates started having nightmares because of the crucifix in the classroom.

ETA: Animal/person mashups are no concern to children, in my experience. Stories like Beauty and the Beast and the Frog Prince introduce that concept early in life.

"soldiers" was a very common game among the boys here. Maybe the boys where you grew up preferred stories and brushing their hair?
    lol! So no child would be afraid of a man with a Goats head....otay!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

What's a standard crucifix?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I didn't write anything of the sort and you know I didn't. If you have trouble comprehending what I'm expressing, ask me to clarify it but don't try and paraphrase my words to suit your own agenda. It is disingenuous and disrespectful.

:rolleyes:

You are trying to play down the cost to the tax payer
    it will not cost the Council more than they spend on teabags in a week.

It shouldn't cost the tax payer a penny as it shouldn't be happening, just like tey should not have symbols for Islamic or Jewish faiths, if people want to express their religion a government building is not the place...that's what your home and church's are for.

Its religions interference in the government that has gotten us where we are in Ireland and its not been a pretty journey. They should very much remain separate.

lazygal wrote: »

A bit better than a sub-standard but less perfect than an above-standard crucifix.

Cabaal wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

You are trying to play down the cost to the tax payer

It shouldn't cost the tax payer a penny as it shouldn't be happening, just like tey should not have symbols for Islamic or Jewish faiths, if people want to express their religion a government building is not the place...that's what your home and church's are for.

Its religions interference in the government that has gotten us where we are in Ireland and its not been a pretty journey. They should very much remain separate.

Play down what cost? There are many council workers whose occupation is to maintain Council buildings.

Cost of Crucifix - 10 euro?
    Cost of nail and time spent hanging crucifix - 5 euro?
    Cost of Atheist reaction and 'arguments' - priceless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Play down what cost? There are many council workers whose occupation is to maintain Council buildings.

Cost of Crucifix - 10 euro?
    Cost of nail and time spent hanging crucifix - 5 euro?
    Cost of Atheist reaction and 'arguments' - priceless.

I think the council could easily clear this up in seconds,

Take the crucifix,
    Take the nail,
    Bash said nail into the wall,
    Hang crucifix upside down.

Councillor still gets to see his pretty crucifix and atheists are happy that no "religious" symbols are on show :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

lazygal wrote: »

google image search comes back with

Crucifix.jpg

Thats pretty disturbing!
    Lets hope he doesn't mean that....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The standard crucifix is not gore. Can you stop trying to put words in my mouth? A point was made that having a crucifix in a room (where no children will probably enter) is somehow exposing children to violence and that point was countered with examples.

I agree that children shouldn't be exposed to inappropriate Media -especially that of a sexual nature.

But you said that a statue of Baphomet wouldn't be 'family friendly'. If no children are going to see it then what harm would having a statue of a goat-headed man in the council chambers do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

He isn't attempting to prevent atheists, ... having a representation of their faith on the wall. (
    28228-Thats-Unpossible-Ralph-wiggum-PcuI.jpeg

Seriously, stop peddling the lie that atheism is a religion. Not believing in something does not a religion make, just as not collecting somehting does not a hobby make.

Not believing in something does not a religion make, just as not collecting somehting does not a hobby make.

Not following any sport is a sport...apparently :pac:

• Advertisement

pauldla wrote: »
    Allegedly died. It is conjecture; there is no proof. :p

To use a joke from one of the Terry Pratchett novels, we don't even "habe ass his corpse ass".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Panrich

It's typical bullying behaviour. Johnny has to get his way. The fact that 1/3rd of the councillors voted against this shows that consideration for others or consensus were not on this guys agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,867 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Ladies or Gentlemen, if you suspect illegal activity, contact the Gardai or your Solicitor. Or Atheism Ireland

But earlier you said
    Atheism Ireland have too much time on their hands.
    so in other words they should STFU about it.

Make up your mind...

If having a crucifix on the wall in a political chamber was so harmless, why do it at all?
    It is there as a symbol of domination of the roman catholic church's followers over those of other and no faiths. That other points of view are unwelcome and will not be tolerated. This is exactly as intended.

Life ain't always empty.

28228-Thats-Unpossible-Ralph-wiggum-PcuI.jpeg

Seriously, stop peddling the lie that atheism is a religion. Not believing in something does not a religion make, just as not collecting somehting does not a hobby make.

Given the context of the sentence, I thought the point and gist would have clear and obvious. Obviously not...

ninja900 wrote: »
    But earlier you said

so in other words they should STFU about it.

Make up your mind...

If having a crucifix on the wall in a political chamber was so harmless, why do it at all?
    It is there as a symbol of domination of the roman catholic church's followers over those of other and no faiths. That other points of view are unwelcome and will not be tolerated. This is exactly as intended.

Yes, they should shut up or spend their time doing something less wasteful. (Join a CE scheme and tidy up their locality?) Water charges, property tax, rising electricity rates, people unable to afford health insurance but that great bastion of humanity AI - not to be confused with Artificial Intelligence - are going to the Equality Authority because of...

http://www.radiokerry.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/KCC-chamber.jpg

The singularly most offensive and vile picture I have ever linked to... be forewarned

bumper234 wrote: »

Take the crucifix,
    Take the nail,
    Bash said nail into the wall,
    Hang crucifix upside down.

I would advise this approach:

Drive the nail with hammer. (Safer to screw-in)
    Take the crucifix.
    Hang crucifix.

I didn't think anyone could get such a simple task wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Yes, they should shut up or spend their time doing something less wasteful. (Join a CE scheme and tidy up their locality?) Water charges, property tax, rising electricity rates, people unable to afford health insurance but that great bastion of humanity AI - not to be confused with Artificial Intelligence - are going to the Equality Authority because of...

http://www.radiokerry.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/KCC-chamber.jpg

The singularly most offensive and vile picture I have ever linked to... be forewarned

Water charges, property tax, local environment; all issues for the democratically elected representatives of the good people of Kerry to discuss, debate, consider, in the hope of making their corner of the world a better place.

Instead, they're voting on crucifixes. Earlier on this year we had Mayo (?) county council praying to make the roads safer. Such is Ireland in the 21st Century, it seems.

Now one could argue that this is a democracy, and they are meeting a need of the population, but I would counter that We The People have a democratic right to scrutinize the words and deeds of elected representatives; and if I lived in Kerry, my first impulse would be to contact this particular fellow and ask him if he could not think of any more pressing issue that getting a crucifix hung up in the Council Chamber. Perhaps it's me, but I am suspicious of politicians who play the religion card.

Water charges, property tax, rising electricity rates, people unable to afford health insurance....

But by far the VAST MAJORITY of these increases and tax's you are bitching about were decided by good catholic people in this country, but that can't be surely?

They have fine "christian values" that would mean they would never do anything to make life difficult for their fellow Catholics?

I guess the argument for having a cross in Kerry cc made sense,
    “In light of our Christian Faith and the strong Christian values contained within our Constitution, that Kerry County Council erect a Crucifix on the wall of the new Council Chamber.”

After all those fine christian value's have worked well in Ireland so far after all,

Thousands of women treated like dirt, hundreds of baby's dead, thousands of babys sold off, thousands of children raped, whole sections of looked down on and classed as illegal.

Yep, it would be good to continue with those fine values.......the type of value's that still class much of our society as "unnatural".

Given the context of the sentence, I thought the point and gist would have clear and obvious. Obviously not...

Yes the point was obvious, you were trying to equate a lack of belief with a belief, in order to bring those you oppose down to your level.

Now one could argue that this is a democracy, and they are meeting a need of the population,

And anyone arguing that would be wrong, because the fact is that despte what the census says, functionally Ireland is not a christian country. The majority of people don't go near churches except for christenings, confirmations, marriages and funerals, and to be honest only for the religious getting free reign in schools most wouldn't go for the first three either.

Of the c. 30% the rcc consider committed catholics (i.e. those they know are going to mass), a full tenth don't believe god exists (the definition of atheism), and this is the minority that gives more than two ****s about the church, among the majority the lack of belief is probably going to be a lot higher.

The clergy are held in universal contempt, there is no vocations for the priesthood or the nunnery. What we are seeing is a religion at the beginnings of collapse, yet people are still unsure enough to not drop the comfort blanket of calling themselves catholic, but on the other hand share virtually none of the beliefs or mores with church doctrine.

• Advertisement

Water charges, property tax, local environment; all issues for the democratically elected representatives of the good people of Kerry to discuss, debate, consider, in the hope of making their corner of the world a better place.

Instead, they're voting on crucifixes. Earlier on this year we had Mayo (?) county council praying to make the roads safer. Such is Ireland in the 21st Century, it seems.

Now one could argue that this is a democracy, and they are meeting a need of the population, but I would counter that We The People have a democratic right to scrutinize the words and deeds of elected representatives; and if I lived in Kerry, my first impulse would be to contact this particular fellow and ask him if he could not think of any more pressing issue that getting a crucifix hung up in the Council Chamber. Perhaps it's me, but I am suspicious of politicians who play the religion card.

They voted on a crucifix- past tense. I assume they are voting, talking working on other matters too (I don't read their minutes) but this one past issue is the one that has been given National attention. At his behest? No. Atheism Ireland is giving the crucifix more attention than the Councillor ever did/could. Sounds like an own-goal but keep kicking...

Cabaal wrote: »
    But by far the VAST MAJORITY of these increases and tax's you are bitching about were decided by good catholic people in this country, but that can't be surely?

They have fine "christian values" that would mean they would never do anything to make life difficult for their fellow Catholics?

I guess the argument for having a cross in Kerry cc made sense,

After all those fine christian value's have worked well in Ireland so far after all,

Thousands of women treated like dirt, hundreds of baby's dead, thousands of babys sold off, thousands of children raped, whole sections of looked down on and classed as illegal.

Yep, it would be good to continue with those fine values.......the type of value's that still class much of our society as "unnatural".

Incorrect. I'm not bitching about any of those things. I did write that people have more pressing concerns (paraphrase). Do I have to write my statements twice so people will understand what I actually write, or is it that in order to vilify me, falsehood must be employed?

One one hand, people say that the majority of Irish Citizens aren't Catholic in the strict sense of the word but when it suits the agenda, Ireland is a Catholic Country and the politicians are Catholic. (I think one user who 'liked' this post gives such an example further down the board...)

You approval or contempt for "values" is no concern of mine. I am not responsible for actions that occurred before my birth or that were beyond my influence. I do agree with the paragraph "Thousands...as illegal" but that view was not particular to Ireland and probably was not solely the doing of the RCC: the experience from other European Countries and North America should show this. If you care to research a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

No. Atheism Ireland is giving the crucifix more attention than the Councillor ever did/could. Sounds like an own-goal but keep kicking...
    How is it an own goal to draw attention to something that would get people talking about the separation of church and state?

Every story I've seen on this issue has focused exclusively on the secularism angle of the story, and promoting secularism is the primary goal of AI.

They voted on a crucifix- past tense. I assume they are voting, talking working on other matters too (I don't read their minutes) but this one past issue is the one that has been given National attention. At his behest? No. Atheism Ireland is giving the crucifix more attention than the Councillor ever did/could. Sounds like an own-goal but keep kicking...

You are attempting to retort on a point of grammar? Very well. The Present Continuous Tense can be used to talk about the past, especially when summarizing (it can also be used to talk about the future, as in 'I'm meeting him next Tuesday'. Quite a versatile tense). So, 'They're voting on crucifixes' is fair usage on my part.

Atheist Ireland (to give them their correct title) are concerned with the pursuit of an ethical secular Ireland. As such, I'd imagine that they would regard the issue of elected representatives seeking to push their own religious agenda as being within their remit, and I'd further imagine that they would very much like to draw attention to it. How is highlighting it an 'own goal'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

when it suits the agenda, Ireland is a Catholic Country and the politicians are Catholic....
    Thankfully this is an outdated concept, in most parts of the country at least.

Knasher wrote: »
    ... get people talking...

No, the aim of AI's challenge wasn't to get people talking; they are taking the case to the Equality Authority to try have the crucifix removed.
    See the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

No, the aim of AI's challenge wasn't to get people talking; they are taking the case to the Equality Authority to try have the crucifix removed.
    See the difference?

Which has gotten people talking.

You are attempting to retort on a point of grammar? Very well. The Present Continuous Tense can be used to talk about the past, especially when summarizing (it can also be used to talk about the future, as in 'I'm meeting him next Tuesday'. Quite a versatile tense). So, 'They're voting on crucifixes' is fair usage on my part.

Atheist Ireland (to give them their correct title) are concerned with the pursuit of an ethical secular Ireland. As such, I'd imagine that they would regard the issue of elected representatives seeking to push their own religious agenda as being within their remit, and I'd further imagine that they would very much like to draw attention to it. How is highlighting it an 'own goal'?

The motion was tabled, voted on and carried 6-3. KCC are not voting on this issue on a daily basis, therefore time and taxpayers money is not being currently consumed by this non-issue.
    As stated above, AI's aim was/is to have the crucifix removed; not to draw publicity. Or maybe it is all just a publicity stunt?..AI haven't been in the news for a few months and this is their way of reminding us that they are still around
    (Would you attend a hospital with a Saints name or would that offend you?

kylith wrote: »
    Which has gotten people talking.

Yeah...the ten of us here are the real movers and shakers....this will drift into obscurity until it is remembered when the hearing occurs and it will be forgotten again.

One chips away while another builds...to and fro...sunrise, sunset etc and blah, blah, blah.

• Advertisement

The motion was tabled, voted on and carried 6-3. KCC are not voting on this issue on a daily basis, therefore time and taxpayers money is not being currently consumed by this non-issue.

Yes, I know the vote took place. As in, in the past. I know the motion was carried. I saw the photo of the chamber, with the crucifix. I imagine that taxpayers money is not being wasted on the upkeep of the crucifix (unless they are polishing it regularly with super-extra-strength crucifix polish).
    But it is an issue, at least for secularists. And if you argue that it’s petty to argue that the crucifix not be displayed in a chamber of government, must you also not wonder if it is equally petty to call for a vote on putting the thing up in the first place?
    As stated above, AI's aim was/is to have the crucifix removed; not to draw publicity. Or maybe it is all just a publicity stunt?..AI haven't been in the news for a few months and this is their way of reminding us that they are still around
    AFAIK, AI want to see the crucifix removed. They could do this under cover of darkness (think Michael Nugent going in Ethan Hunt style) or they could try to draw attention to the issue in order to raise public awareness of it. I’d guess they’re quite happy to draw publicity on the matter, and I don’t see how you think this is an ‘own goal’.
    (Would you attend a hospital with a Saints name or would that offend you?
    Strange question. Relevance, please?

Advertisement