Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UPC Cisco EPC3925: Enabling True Bridge Mode - A Simple How-to Guide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

Are you using DD-WRT on the Netgear? and Cisco in Bridge Mode? what settings did you use?

I can get them both working together not in Bridge mode, but I need to open ports so that's no use to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

I'm using Gargoyle on my WNDR3700v1. Looking at screenshots of DD-WRT, I reckon you need to set it to "Automatic Configuration - DHCP" while setting its IP address to anything but 192.168.100.0-255, and that's about it. There shouldn't be much more to it, if anything at all.

Do you get Internet if you connect your computer (anything with an Ethernet port) directly to the 3925 while in bridge mode? If you do, then the WNDR3700 should be fine. If not, then the problem could be elsewhere.

They are the settings I had, the DD-WRT was getting the IP etc. from the the cisco but I still couldn't get on the net.

I try again now and make sure I can connect in Bridge mode. Did anyone else loose the port forwarding Menu? I don't suppose there is anyway to put that back?

Sorry, just to clarify, can you check the WAN IP address of the 3925 to see if it's an IPv6 address? If it is, then UPC have put you in DS-Lite mode which disables IPv4 port forwarding.

They have been rolling out DS-Lite gradually over the last few months.

They are the settings I had, the DD-WRT was getting the IP etc. from the the cisco but I still couldn't get on the net.

I try again now and make sure I can connect in Bridge mode. Did anyone else loose the port forwarding Menu? I don't suppose there is anyway to put that back?
    I'd check but I'm quite paranoid that if I go back to router mode that they'll yank the option and ability to bridge with the HTML inject method altogether. I can tell you, though, that my firmware is still epc3925-ESIP-12-v302r125572-130412c_upc, which hasn't changed since last year.

You're much better off in bridge mode and using the WNDR3700v4 so if you want my advice, figure out the mystery of why it isn't working and do all your port forwarding, etc., from the 3700, leaving the 3925 to being just your modem and nothing more. You should start with directly connecting your computer to the 3925, leaving the 3700 out of the equation, to see if the Internet is working.

• Advertisement

Karsini wrote: »
    Sorry, just to clarify, can you check the WAN IP address of the 3925 to see if it's an IPv6 address? If it is, then UPC have put you in DS-Lite mode which disables IPv4 port forwarding.

They have been rolling out DS-Lite gradually over the last few months.
    I was wondering when they were going to start on that since it's been on the cards for years now.

That's another valid option, KP. If you get Internet by directly connecting your computer to the 3925, check what IP you've been assigned. You'll know if it's IPv6 or not.

EDIT: Seems you're not alone regarding the lack of Port Forwarding. Apparently UPC "doesn't support it." What a crock of shít.

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057282895

That said, they're also denying DS-Lite is being used.

DECEiFER wrote: »
    I was wondering when they were going to start on that since it's been on the cards for years now.

That's another valid option, KP. If you get Internet by directly connecting your computer to the 3925, check what IP you've been assigned. You'll know if it's IPv6 or not.

EDIT: Seems you're not alone regarding the lack of Port Forwarding. Apparently UPC "doesn't support it." What a crock of shít.

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057282895

That said, they're also denying DS-Lite is being used.
    Yep, that thread is the one I was thinking of. The screenshots from the Technicolor modem specifically say that DS-Lite mode is enabled.

Yep, that thread is the one I was thinking of. The screenshots from the Technicolor modem specifically say that DS-Lite mode is enabled.
    And they deny it. Typical script monkeys. I haven't read the whole thread, mind you.

It doesn't adequately explain why Port Forwarding would be removed. If we read further in the thread, would we see an explanation turn up (assuming you have read it)?

And they deny it. Typical script monkeys. I haven't read the whole thread, mind you.

It doesn't adequately explain why Port Forwarding would be removed. If we read further in the thread, would we see an explanation turn up (assuming you have read it)?

DS-Lite issues a private, non-routeable IPv4 address. So you can't forward it.

DS-Lite issues a private, non-routeable IPv4 address. So you can't forward it.
    Jesus, I really need to do some reading!

Is there any way around this as port forwarding is a big deal (besides using another router in bridge mode and hoping for a regular assignment)?

• Advertisement

Jesus, I really need to do some reading!

Is there any way around this?

I'm not sure to be honest. Need to look into it more.

That's exactly it lads I was getting a ipv6 IP, I could only connect to some sites and was extremely slow for some reason.

Thats some load of bollix what other options are there apart from moving to a different provider?

Thanks for the help lads my head was melted with this just back from a mad weekend in Munich and nothing working :-(

I'm not sure to be honest. Need to look into it more.
    You and me both!

I've scanned through the thread and I see that Brian finally does admit to UPC using DS-Lite with the usual "we'll pass along your feedback" mantra. I suppose it's only a matter of time before we're all inflicted. I just hope that using a third-party router with the UPC router in bridge mode prevents DS-Lite.

I'm also involved with an organization that's an SME customer of UPC's and I'm on the list of folks authorized to call in as I set up the account through a rep so I might need to get some clarification on this, but I seriously doubt they'd dare do this to us on that account as they'd have to "support" port forwarding for the SME market.

Absolutely, they couldn't go messing with the SME static IPs.

Absolutely, they couldn't go messing with the SME static IPs.
    No. Whatmore, they give SME customers the option to stick the 3925 in bridge mode remotely by flashing a specialized firmware. There's no 192.168.100.1 access. They claim it's more stable than just doing it the regular way as we home customers have so I let them have at it.

I wonder if the WNDR3700v4 can handle the assignment? You seem to have the basics grasped so was wondering if there's anything that can help Kenny now that we know he's been infected with this rotten, disease-ridden DS-Lite à la UPC?

Kenny,

Have a read of this post:
    http://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/92511423

Going back to good ol' IPv4 should be an option for you.

EDIT: I see you've posted on the thread already, my bad.

Kenny,

Have a read of this post:
    http://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/92511423

Going back to good ol' IPv4 should be an option for you.

EDIT: I see you've posted on the thread already, my bad.

Thanks for that mate, I didn't actually see that post you sent me on there. I'll drop him a PM now.
    Such a load of messing no doubt I'll have to wait a week for it.
    If they only told me on the phone today it could have saved me a few hours fluting about.

Thanks for all the help anyway

The two modems seem to behave differently when bridged if DS-Lite is active. The Technicolor will immediately reboot and reset back to routing mode whereas the Cisco seems to keep the setting but not allow access (as per Kenny).

UPC are doing a cable replacement in my area so maybe DS-Lite might be done at the same time. I'm wondering now.

The two modems seem to behave differently when bridged if DS-Lite is active. The Technicolor will immediately reboot and reset back to routing mode whereas the Cisco seems to keep the setting but not allow access (as per Kenny).

UPC are doing a cable replacement in my area so maybe DS-Lite might be done at the same time. I'm wondering now.

I'll check down I'm my folks tomorrow, they had the cables changed recently, they also have the Cisco

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nirish77

Hey everyone, we have just been upgraded to a horizon box and this deprovisioned my old cable modem and therefore also stopped me from using my own router. The UPC solution was to send me a new modem which of course turned out to be a TC7200 router and bridge mode isn't available. They are now going to send me a 3925 instead. Without having to read 60 pages could someone please tell me is there any way to enable bridge mode on the 7200 and if not can I do it with the 3925 out of the box when I receive or do I need to use the opera workaround. Thanks

• Advertisement

nirish77 wrote: »
    Hey everyone, we have just been upgraded to a horizon box and this deprovisioned my old cable modem and therefore also stopped me from using my own router. The UPC solution was to send me a new modem which of course turned out to be a TC7200 router and bridge mode isn't available. They are now going to send me a 3925 instead. Without having to read 60 pages could someone please tell me is there any way to enable bridge mode on the 7200 and if not can I do it with the 3925 out of the box when I receive or do I need to use the opera workaround. Thanks
    The 3925 should work out of the box. Mine still has the option but if you're one of the unlucky few not to see the option, then you should use the workaround in Opera 12.17, which is the last version before Opera moved to Google's Blink rendering engine, so things changed and it's more like Chrome nowadays.

Regarding the 2700, see this thread as bridging was possible at one time, but it did require a workaround and I'm not sure if it still works:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88053481

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

Arrrgh! I've an EPC3925 in bridge mode, with an Asus Rt-N66u hanging off the back doing all the heavy work.

However, 2 nights ago it stopped working. Link looks fine as I popped the 3925 back into router mode just to be sure, and yes, that works - so the cable WAN link is fine.

In bridge mode, all traceroutes to 8.8.8.8 fail at the Asus router. The Asus has the WAN set for Auto (which I guess uses PPPoE), BUT I do notice that it picks its default gateway as 192.168.100.1, which is the 3925's LAN address for mgt access?

Shouldn't that be an 89.x.x.x address, ie the A end of the UPC connection?

I also notice that my 3925 is advertising a Horizon Wi-Free service, which I hadn't noticed before, I've now disabled that through myUPC. It says it may take 72 hours to take affect.

Could there have been a firmware update that has screwed the bridge mode on the 3925?

Rather than use Auto mode, does anyone have the specific config details for what the router should use for its uplink (when the 3925 is bridged) and I can try setting those manually?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭degsie

As a quick test,disconnect the asus and plug in a pc/laptop into the 3925 while it's in bridge mode. Set the laptop network port as DHCP and see if it picks up a public IP address. Check internet access to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

degsie wrote: »
    As a quick test,disconnect the asus and plug in a pc/laptop into the 3925 while it's in bridge mode. Set the laptop network port as DHCP and see if it picks up a public IP address. Check internet access to confirm.

Good idea, will try that tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

So i upgraded today from 120/12 to 240/24

My download speed is "only" 140Mb (upload is 24Mb)

To rule out my bridged RT-N16 as the issue i am trying to unbridge the 3925. So when the tech calls out he will not blame my bridging setup

I followed this guys guide to bridge last year:

http://www.ronanskehill.com/bridging-cisco-epc3925-and-using-asus-rt-n16-instead-howto/

I have set my pc to 192.168.100.50 (255.255.255.0 and left the default gateway blank)

I go to http://192.168.100.1/Docsis_system.asp

It wants username and password.

I have left both blank, tried admin/admin and admin/password.

No joy. I do not believe i created a username or password last year or even if that is possible.

Any ideas guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

Only 140 - wifi or ethernet? What is on the other side - wifi card, gigabyte ethernet port?
    If You want get back to default just reset the modem from the back.

loki7777 wrote: »
    Only 140 - wifi or ethernet? What is on the other side - wifi card, gigabyte ethernet port?

Thanks loki

Ethernet - Cat 5 all devices have gigabyte Ethernet

3925 --- RT-N16 --- Samknows box / RIPE box

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

Anyway, try reset cisco and see how it will be - last few days after upgrade i had problem with speed and connection stability.

loki7777 wrote: »
    Anyway, try reset cisco and see how it will be - last few days after upgrade i had problem with speed and connection stability.

I reset it there at the back (pressed the button with a needle)

Still 140Mb

I would still like to be able to unbridge it. If anyone can help i will be eternally grateful :)

• Advertisement

A factory reset of the 3925 should put it back into router mode so if that's not the case, your reset might not have worked.

Advertisement