Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Floyd Mayweather Vs Miguel Cotto

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Maravilla33

Henno30 wrote: »
    What odds a Cotto-Maravilla match sometime in the near future?

Martinez is apparently getting the winner of Chavez and Lee which I presume would be sometime late this year. Cant see Cotto fighting him before then. It would be a great fight though. Can Martinez still make Light middle?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,549 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Jeez, I thought Henno was wondering when the poster, Maravilla33, would meet Cotto:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

RE: Insanity50
    What reason has he to lie? He won the fight convincingly. Who cares what he weighed on fight night. He loaded up on water and food the day of the weigh ins so as to not give miguel a psychological advantage is the most plausible explanation rather than him lying post fight for no reason whatsoever.

A reason he may have lied about the weight would be protect against being called out by the likes of the bigger dangerous fighters like Alvarez, Kirkland and Martinez.

If he claims he could only really maintain 147, and after slating Manny he can't bring these guys to a catchweight (Marquez obviously a distant memory)
    It would fall in line with his talk of retirement. He said there's no one else out there, but there are few but they're all bigger than him.

The general consensus is that Floyd won convincingly and that a split decision was a joke. Oscar got lucky to win on one judge's score card.

That might be the general consensus for Floyd fans but most people/forum posters (of worth) I know, found it far too close with Floyd just barely shading it. Wouldn't class shading it, a master class.

There are plenty of fighters out there to step up, Gamboa, Rios, Alvarez, Broner. Floyd will leave and someone else will step up into that open Heel position.

When Mayweather retires, boxing goes with him. At least in the format we know now.

That's one of the most ridiculous statements I've read in a long time.

What's killing boxing isn't a lack of stars,heroes,villains and it sure as **** isn't going to be Floyd retiring. It's the politics, the crooked promoters and the crap refereeing and judging decisions.

When Floyd retired the first time, a new star stepped up in Manny Pacquiao. It's a cyclic process.

And even at that a PPV with Alvarez, Floyd and Cotto on it should be very healthy so not all aspects of boxing are falling away to nothing.

walshb wrote: »
    Jeez, I thought Henno was wondering when the poster, Maravilla33, would meet Cotto:o

Jesus :eek: I think I'll save my jousting for on here. So unless he fancies an old versus new debate or the like I'm out.. We could do Henry Armstrong Vs Miguel Cotto he can take his own side. Seems you have your own little sparring partner on here now :D

The general consensus is that Floyd won convincingly and that a split decision was a joke. Oscar got lucky to win on one judge's score card.

That might be the general consensus for Floyd fans but most people/forum posters (of worth) I know, found it far too close with Floyd just barely shading it. Wouldn't class shading it, a master class.

That fight to me was very close. Had Oscar not pressed we wouldn't have had a fight. It was razor close in the scoring too. Materclass my ass. A masterclass is his win over Gatti and Corralles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭Henno30

Martinez is apparently getting the winner of Chavez and Lee which I presume would be sometime late this year. Cant see Cotto fighting him before then. It would be a great fight though. Can Martinez still make Light middle?

I think he said he'd go south of that for Mayweather so I'm guessing he could. If he beats JCC Jr however, I'd see it at a catchweight with Cotto being sold on the chance to become a four division champ before he retires. I think it'd a fantastic match.

I think he said he'd go south of that for Mayweather so I'm guessing he could. If he beats JCC Jr however, I'd see it at a catchweight with Cotto being sold on the chance to become a four division champ before he retires. I think it'd a fantastic match.

No doubt it would be a great match up. Even though I haven't been overly impressed with Martinez in his last 2 fights I'd still take him to beat Cotto. I'm hoping its a case of his performance improving the better the quality of opponent hes in with. Even at 37 he's less shop worn than Cotto, is quick, durable and hits relatively hard. I think this would be a bit of a classic if it happened.

Martinez would dominate Cotto I feel. Possible stoppage too. Cotto's chin is far from great, and Martinez can bang a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭clubwelly

Apparently Floyd had a cold and lost the weight due to this.

Commentators on box nation were very biased to Floyd.
    Cotto did himself proud but Floyd is amazing. Dunno who'll he'll fight next. Sergio may be too big and is a counter puncher. Could be the winner of Ortiz Berto

In relation to posting links, I've found a site which has fights uploaded to it. Understand that we can't post links during fights but whats the story with posting links after fights have happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

clubwelly wrote: »
    In relation to posting links, I've found a site which has fights uploaded to it. Understand that we can't post links during fights but whats the story with posting links after fights have happened?

The issue is could Boards get in trouble over it, i'm pretty sure linking past events after the money is not an issue would be fine, like the day after for example on PPV'S their often still payable so would not be good to post them then, a week later i doubt would be any issue. posting illegal links is just a no no full stop.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭megadodge

When reading Insanity50's posts I'm reminded of the old saying - "never argue with a fool, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Sorry guys - my original comments were a bit ignorant. I shouldn't have closed the conversation as if other opinions weren't important. Was having a bad day and unfortunately let it spill out onto the forum.

Group hug?

dlofnep wrote: »
    Sorry guys - my original comments were a bit ignorant. I shouldn't have closed the conversation as if other opinions weren't important. Was having a bad day and unfortunately let it spill out onto the forum.

Group hug?

I didn't think that your comments were ignorant at all, and you held your nerve when many jumped in in disagreement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I was just referring to when I said, if you disagree - you are wrong. That's not how I should open a discussion. It was just bad form on my behalf. I still believe Floyd is the greatest of course, but other opinions are just as valid!

dlofnep wrote: »

Group hug?

I didn't see your comments at the time (thank god) but to add a bit of balance I'll disagree with walshb and say they were pretty ignorant.

Hearns and SRL have no chance against Mayweather? He beats Duran and Hagler? All without out a sniff of backing up or explaining your argument?

SRR might have a chance if he didn't fight on too long racking up losses? What has that got to do with his chances against Floyd at WW? He was something like 95-1 at the weight and his losses came after moving up in weight.

Mayweather is unbelievable but some pretty silly comments right there if you ask me. Just thought Walshb was letting you of the hook a bit easily :D

Hearns and SRL have no chance against Mayweather? He beats Duran and Hagler? All without out a sniff of backing up or explaining your argument?

SRR might have a chance if he didn't fight on too long racking up losses? What has that got to do with his chances against Floyd at WW? He was something like 95-1 at the weight and his losses came after moving up in weight.

Mayweather is unbelievable but some pretty silly comments right there if you ask me. Just thought Walshb was letting you of the hook a bit easily :D

I guess when I look back at the points here maybe I was a little too kind, dlofnep. Anyway, you still kept your cool.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭insanity50

Who would you like to see Floyd fight next lads if not Pacquaio?

I think Martinez is too big. He'd easily weigh about 170 or above on fight night.

fights against bradley,alvarez,berto,ortiz don't really interest me I must say. Alvarez would be interesting but as you say he's a young strong hungry pup being groomed for the throne and it would prob be in his ebst interests not to fight pbf.

insanity50 wrote: »

I think Martinez is too big. He'd easily weigh about 170 or above on fight night.

fights against bradley,alvarez,berto,ortiz don't really interest me I must say. Alvarez would be interesting but as you say he's a young strong hungry pup being groomed for the throne and it would prob be in his ebst interests not to fight pbf.

There's not that much out there for him. Martinez would be the big challenge due to the size difference, Would like to see it but would understand if Mayweather didn't fancy it. Martinez is campaigning at Middleweight after all. If Bradley beat Pacquaio then him vs Mayweather would be a legitimate match up. Facing the undefeated guy that beat his arch rival would be a fight PBF would be interested in and a very winnable one at that. Alvarez would be also be interesting due to his size and style and would sell, but think he's too green for Floyd right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

id love to see him absolutely hammer amir bighead khan,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Don't think that will happen, nor does it need to happen. Khan has lost twice to mediocre opposition and wouldn't have a snow balls chance in hell of beating Floyd. Fight would be a huge waste of time for Floyd.

• Advertisement

Forgot about Khan. I presume he'd need some kind of tune up fight at welter to get used to the weight first but its a possibility. He's been calling out Mayweather for a while now. Hes big, fast, has an exciting style and also has a big enough profile in The States for the fight to happen. Hes also very beatable so why wouldn't Mayweather fight him? Khan's stock may rise a bit now if it comes out that Peterson was on PEDs for their fight which was close enough as it is. Khan has the speed to trouble Mayweather for a round or two but can see Floyd adjusting and winning handily in the end and even stopping him if he decides to stay in the pocket and fight him. I wouldn't mind this fight tbh if Khan has a fight at WW first and wins well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭Henno30

Let's look at the list of possibles:

Martinez: Definitely credible, definitely willing. Would come down to at least 154 for Floyd. Isn't especially well known in the wider public though and might not represent enough reward for the risk as far as Floyd is concerned.

Pacquiao: Obviously the fight the wider public still wants to see. Credibility took a big hit in the recent Marquez fight and could well be in decline. If he shows the form of old against Bradley the clamour will build again, bolstered by the relative impressiveness of his performance against Cotto. Still seems to be too many obstacles though.

Canelo: Looks legit and is a serious puncher. Comes with a big Mexican following. The step up from a shot Shane Mosley looks a bit much though. Doesn't really have the resume to justify a fight with Floyd, and GBP are unlikely to to offer him up.

Winner of Ortiz/Berto: Will depend on the nature of the victory but it's not too far-fetched. Ortiz is tainted but an impressive enough victory might get Floyd to think about trying to sell it.

Timothy Bradley: Will need to either beat Pacquiao or get robbed in a defeat. If he does beat Pacquiao he might be inclined to bask in the glory of it for a while, although Floyd would make a him a decent offer to cash in I'm sure.

Amir Khan: Revelations that Peterson was juiced in or around the first fight will have done a lot to heal the damage done that night. Had he won that fight he might even have got the match Cotto got, but if not he'd be very much in the frame for November. You'd imagine he'll still need a big win on HBO for it to happen.

Don't see anyone outside of that list who'd be a realistic option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

i cant see him ever fighting again unless he fights khan in nov-dec, giving khan time for a tune up in mid august at ww,

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭anto77

anto77 wrote: »
    this guy is just a wind up merchant as I've already highlighted in other forums...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056491514&page=4
    Finally you took manny's nuts out of your mouth and his asshole out of your eyes long enough to take a look at the world around you.

congrats.

great to see you finally admit defeat after all these years of trumpeting little ms pacman.

welcome back horsemeat - I see you haven't grown up any since you left :rolleyes:! it's not hard to spot you're nasty and pathetic style of posting, not only on this forum but the others you frequent! you can't hide from me troll :pac:

Let's look at the list of possibles:

Martinez: Definitely credible, definitely willing. Would come down to at least 154 for Floyd. Isn't especially well known in the wider public though and might not represent enough reward for the risk as far as Floyd is concerned.

Pacquiao: Obviously the fight the wider public still wants to see. Credibility took a big hit in the recent Marquez fight and could well be in decline. If he shows the form of old against Bradley the clamour will build again, bolstered by the relative impressiveness of his performance against Cotto. Still seems to be too many obstacles though.

Canelo: Looks legit and is a serious puncher. Comes with a big Mexican following. The step up from a shot Shane Mosley looks a bit much though. Doesn't really have the resume to justify a fight with Floyd, and GBP are unlikely to to offer him up.

Winner of Ortiz/Berto: Will depend on the nature of the victory but it's not too far-fetched. Ortiz is tainted but an impressive enough victory might get Floyd to think about trying to sell it.

Timothy Bradley: Will need to either beat Pacquiao or get robbed in a defeat. If he does beat Pacquiao he might be inclined to bask in the glory of it for a while, although Floyd would make a him a decent offer to cash in I'm sure.

Amir Khan: Revelations that Peterson was juiced in or around the first fight will have done a lot to heal the damage done that night. Had he won that fight he might even have got the match Cotto got, but if not he'd be very much in the frame for November. You'd imagine he'll still need a big win on HBO for it to happen.

Don't see anyone outside of that list who'd be a realistic option.

The only one I can really see happening is Khan, but Khan needed this Peterson fight to bounce back from, the drug allegations help matters but he's still not accustomed fully to the weight.

The reason I think this is the most likely is they could make serious money from it when you include UK revenue. Canelo's too green, Martinez is difficult and doesn't have a big following and the others really aren't that big of a draw...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

As far as I'm concerned "pretty boy" "money" mayweather is an all-time great.
    As to where in the "greatest of ALL-TIME" he lies, I'll defer to old farts who have been watchin boxing longer than I.

I certainly wouldn't get angry and obnoxious when talking about boxers who boxing nuts watched live in the 70's & 80's. It's banter FFS

As to Floyd. I'd watched him fight all day long. He's a genius, one of the greatest athletes on the planet in the last 15 years.

He's also an asshole. He believes the pantomime bad guy wrestler character is required to selll tickets. I believe it diminishes him.

In the same way the nasty stuff diminished Ali.
    I'll take my admiration of genius un-soured by human flaws, thank you very much!!

In the ring he's always brilliant. I don't see pac beating him at his peak. I just think Floyd would of found a way, somehow.
    Now, I think Floyd takes him in the last few rounds. I expect the fight will happen within the next year or so and it will probably be a huge disappointment in terms of the Pac we will see.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

I was just watching Mayweather vs Gatti 2005 on Eurosport. Can't get over how fast he was. He's clearly slower now even if he was lighter back then. Would love to see Mayweather 05 vs Pacquoia 08.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Anyone reckon Paul Williams could cut to 154lb and have a go at Mayweather? Tidy boxer Williams is. As far as I remember he fought Martinez at 156/7lb.

boxer.fan wrote: »
    Anyone reckon Paul Williams could cut to 154lb and have a go at Mayweather? Tidy boxer Williams is. As far as I remember he fought Martinez at 156/7lb.

Floyd was actively ducking him for ages, tall, long reach, awkward to fight. Paul Williams has little to know defense though. P-will still isn't a huge name either, money wise. Can't see it

• Advertisement

Floyd was actively ducking him for ages, tall, long reach, awkward to fight. Paul Williams has little to know defense though. P-will still isn't a huge name either, money wise. Can't see it

Have you got any proof that Mayweather was actively ducking him? Firstly I don't know how anyone would know this and secondly I don't see when they should have fought? Williams first came to prominence in 2007 when he beat Margarito. That year Mayweather fought OLDH and Ricky Hatton. Two huge PPV fights against well known fighters. 2 Months after Mayweather beat Hatton, Williams loses to the average Quintana and then is tied up with a rematch. Mayweather retires. Williams beats Quintana and moves up to Light middle/middle and doesn't fight at WW again.

As you say Williams isn't exactly well known and a fight wouldn't exactly have made sense for Floyd. Of course I think a fight between the 2 may have been interesting but I'd still back Floyd to win. Williams is tall and rangy but doesn't fight like a big fighter or use his physical advantages properly. As you said he's no defence. A fighter with his size and reach should be near impossible to hit. If he boxed behind his jab he'd be a tough night for anyone at welter. Also I cant really see a guy who is outboxed by Quintana and easily by Lara who are both similar in height and reach to Mayweather being a worry for PBF. Its up to someone like Williams to put a bit of a run together, make a name for himself and earn a shot against Mayweather instead of crying that he won't fight him. I think it would have been a good fight but I'd hardly say Mayweather ducked him as you say.

Advertisement