Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how can I fix my leaking electric shower? (triton)

• 16-01-2012 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi, for months now there's been a leak coming from inside my Triton T90xr shower. I turned off the electricity and opened it up and can see exactly where the leak is coming from - between the parts that are joined with screws. Please see photo attached. You can actually see a big drip about to fall.

Any ideas on how to fix this? The screws to get the part off are in awkward places. It looks like I'd nearly have to dismantle the whole unit to get it off. I twiddled around with it before (the dial part below) and the water was under a lot of pressure and it was hard to squeeze back in. So I guess the smart thing to do would be to drain the tank in the attic first, for less pressure.

One idea I thought of was relieving the pressure by modifying the ball cock in the tank so it would never be full. I'll try that solution, if all else fails.

Thanks for any help. I'd prefer to fix this myself, as stuck for cash at the moment.

Chris.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

You cant. You need to replace that and tbh i would look at your pipework carefully that only goes for 2 reasons

1. Frost

2. Connected to mains.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

It's a pain in the ass but Joey right, ;) you wont get that part without buying the complete motor, very common to crack with frost, try and find someone with an old shower that you might be able to rob.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

It is possible using a gasket seal, but it does mean stripping down the shower unit.
    If it the seal between the motor pump and impeller is gone then you can try that.
    If any of the plastic mouldings are cracked then I'm afraid it will need that part.

(make sure to turn off power and turn off water before any repair work!)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,941 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I had this problem with a new Triton shower. Turned out the builder had connected a tank-feed shower to mains pipes. No cure, had to get a new shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭650gs

You should leave this job to a professional, Remember these showers are very dangers if not fitted properly you could be playing with your life

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

650gs wrote: »
    You should leave this job to a professional, Remember these showers are very dangers if not fitted properly you could be playing with your life

As per the tragic accident late last year with the young GAA lad,down the country being electrocuted to death in the shower.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 26 snyperkyller

Hi, thanks for the feed back.

Joey the lips, what's wrong with connecting the shower to the mains? Should electric showers not be connected in that way?

I thought all along it was connected to the tank in the attic but after draining the tank to do some work on the shower I saw water kept coming and coming so I turned off the mains and then it stopped. So it looks like there's a connection to the mains, somewhere off the pipe that leads to the tank.

I took off the shower (electricity and mains off, of course) and dismantled the section in my attached photo. No cracks or anything, and the rubber washer is perfect. Then I tightened up the screws again, but it still leaked when I put it back. Took it off again and put sealant in and re-tightened everything but still leaks, although less now. Really a pain. Thanks again for all your help.

Chris.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,828 ✭✭✭kirving

You're not allowed pump directly from the mains apparently, even pressure washers use a small tank. To do with contamination I think.

Aside from that, the mains has bits of dirt and stuff it in - just look at the bottom of your attic tank, probably will be a layer of sediment there which, over time, is very bad for the shower.

Unless you know exactly how the shower operates, and you feel 100% confident, and have the experience, don't mess with anything but the filter. Even if the power is off while you're at it, you don't want someone in the shower next week to be to get an 8kW shock. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

I was fairly sure this model couldnt be connected to the mains, some other triton models can
    http://www.tritonshowers.ie/media/11724/t90xr.pdf
    See page 6
    Id try confirm for certain that it is connected to the mains, maybe the mains pressure affected the shower/cause the leak.

There should also have been an isolation valve installed between the water supply and the shower.
    It sounds like it may have been incorrectly installed, how old is it?
    I think I have a part for a T90 si but I would need to look for it, plus not sure if the shape is the same.

If there is a leak and the seal is ok, then there must be a crack in it somewhere,maybe through one of the screw holes?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Joey the lips, what's wrong with connecting the shower to the mains? Should electric showers not be connected in that way?

I thought all along it was connected to the tank in the attic but after draining the tank to do some work on the shower I saw water kept coming and coming so I turned off the mains and then it stopped. So it looks like there's a connection to the mains, somewhere off the pipe that leads to the tank.

I took off the shower (electricity and mains off, of course) and dismantled the section in my attached photo. No cracks or anything, and the rubber washer is perfect. Then I tightened up the screws again, but it still leaked when I put it back. Took it off again and put sealant in and re-tightened everything but still leaks, although less now. Really a pain. Thanks again for all your help.

Chris.

T90 is a tank fed shower. T80 is for mains.

I think you've found your problem anyway. But replacing the part will be pointless without sorting your pipework.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

It looks like wrong shower for the water supply, but sometimes it will work depending the local pressure (it did for a while for you).

I had a problem that looked like this (but with right shower for tank), seems the shower unit had become a little loose since it was installed, so the owner opened up the front and tightened the wall fixing screws. Unfortunately the tiles that it was mounted on were not flush, causing a tiny amount of bowing to the back, this was just enough to pop one of the many push fit joints and it started dripping. Solution that day was loosen fixing screw and get a washer in behind the back.

Chris.

A triton t90 is not a mains fed shower and what is wrong is it implodes like the picture you describe if connected to the mains that is whats wrong.

A t80 is a mains fed shower.

Your shower is plumbed incorrecly and tbh your lack of experience and your poor research is very very dangerous combination.

If your going mains you need to get a t80. If your going tank fed you need to get a t90.

You cannot fix your problem you need to dispose of the shower and decide weather you are going mains or tank fed.

Hi, thanks for the feedback.

It's definitely connected to the mains, and I see in the online manual it says the T90 should ONLY connect to attic tank (their caps).

JoeytheLips - I actually think my research has been quite good. And about my lack of experience; I'd feel more confident in a professional plumber/ electrician if it hadn't been a person from that trade who'd hooked up the pipes incorrectly in the first place!

Again, thanks for the help; I'll look at connection in the attic and see what needs to be done about taking water from the tank.

Chris.

Hi, thanks for the feedback.

It's definitely connected to the mains, and I see in the online manual it says the T90 should ONLY connect to attic tank (their caps).

JoeytheLips - I actually think my research has been quite good. And about my lack of experience; I'd feel more confident in a professional plumber/ electrician if it hadn't been a person from that trade who'd hooked up the pipes incorrectly in the first place!

Again, thanks for the help; I'll look at connection in the attic and see what needs to be done about taking water from the tank.

Chris.

You will still need a new shower. If i were you i would look at a t80 which is at least 100 euro cheaper than the t90 and clearly already piped for. then if you are very unfortunate you can add on a cheap single impeller booster pump and divert the mains to the tank so now you have a pumped shower.

Its the least amount of work for you

You will still need a new shower. If i were you i would look at a t80 which is at least 100 euro cheaper than the t90 and clearly already piped for. then if you are very unfortunate you can add on a cheap single impeller booster pump and divert the mains to the tank so now you have a pumped shower.

Its the least amount of work for you

I think the T90 I have would work perfectly if connected to the tank; I mean there's nothing wrong with it. Just that the pressure through the mains is too much.

But I agree - easiest option is to buy a new shower rather than new pipe work, and I'll be buying a new non-pump electric one next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭keppler

Does anyone know if the Triton Seville 10.5kw is a mains fed or tank fed shower unit?
    My unit is on its last legs and this model is cheap on amazon.

keppler wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the Triton Seville 10.5kw is a mains fed or tank fed shower unit?

A better question to start with is 'Do I have a mains supply or a tank supply to the location of my new shower?' and then find a suitable replacement.
    Turn off your stopcock and if the shower loses water supply then it's mains. Turn off the tank supply (could mean tieing up the ballcock and draining the tank) and the shower loses water, it's tank fed.

It is possible where mains pressure is low, that a shower designed to be tank fed could have been installed but has worked anyway.

Cedrus wrote: »
    A better question to start with is 'Do I have a mains supply or a tank supply to the location of my new shower?' and then find a suitable replacement.
    Turn off your stopcock and if the shower loses water supply then it's mains. Turn off the tank supply (could mean tieing up the ballcock and draining the tank) and the shower loses water, it's tank fed.

It is possible where mains pressure is low, that a shower designed to be tank fed could have been installed but has worked anyway.

Thanks for your reply but I'm already certain that it's main's fed.
    Btw the only reason im asking is because Amazon is not giving me the answer and when I log onto Triton's website it does'nt seem to acknowledge the existence of the Seville range

Someone was selling one last month and they reckon it's mains, don't know if there's two models. http://www.adverts.ie/bathroom/triton-seville-10-5kw-electric-shower/1215141

Its a mains fed shower. If you want a t90 you will have to buy a t90. They are only done in bulk in ireland.

• Advertisement

Its a mains fed shower. If you want a t90 you will have to buy a t90. They are only done in bulk in ireland.

Thanks for confirming that.
    Why are you talking about a t90?

Thanks for confirming that.
    Why are you talking about a t90?

I am guessing that because you seen it cheap on amazon you priced it against a mira elite 2 or a t90 here. The uk market mainly uses mains showers. These are priced between 80 stg and 200 stg where as the t90 is over this price.

Then again you could be just asking the type of shower because you actually have the triton seville in which case if that is correct and its working ok then replace like with like.

I am guessing that because you seen it cheap on amazon you priced it against a mira elite 2 or a t90 here. The uk market mainly uses mains showers. These are priced between 80 stg and 200 stg where as the t90 is over this price.

Then again you could be just asking the type of shower because you actually have the triton seville in which case if that is correct and its working ok then replace like with like.

Ah I see where you are coming from. Actually I hav'nt priced it against anything in particular. The last time I looked at anyshowers was six months ago in several irish shops and for anything with a decent name and power rating was about the €200 mark. Amazon was the first place I checked since my own shower started making funny noises plus its crap and I want to change it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭vinpaul

I have a dripping shower head. It is a triton T90 XR. Any suggestions as to how I can fix this. Could it be just dirt blocking valve?.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭vinpaul

I have a dripping shower head. It is a triton T90 XR. Any suggestions as to how I can fix this. Could it be just dirt blocking valve?.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

The solenoid needs to be replaced

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭robinwing

My Triton T90XR is leaking through the wall and water is dripping from the bottom of the electrical socket on the wall outside the bathroom behind the shower unit . What has failed here ? a seal possibly ? It seems only to leak when the shower is activated

• Registered Users Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

robinwing wrote:
    My Triton T90XR is leaking through the wall and water is dripping from the bottom of the electrical socket on the wall outside the bathroom behind the shower unit . What has failed here ? a seal possibly ? It seems only to leak when the shower is activated

The triton is designed in such a way that if the shower itself is leaking it can't get into the wall. The only part that could leak is the inlet elbow but this would constantly leak.
    I it only leaks while the shower is running then it's much more likely to be the tiles that are letting the water through.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    The triton is designed in such a way that if the shower itself is leaking it can't get into the wall. The only part that could leak is the inlet elbow but this would constantly leak.
    I it only leaks while the shower is running then it's much more likely to be the tiles that are letting the water through.

Would the inlet elbow have become loose over time and blow water back when the unit is running under pressure ?

• Advertisement

The filter inside the unit was never cleaned , the shower is about 6 years old and gets a lot of use

Advertisement