Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[SC] Is it true that Birds don't fly over Aushwitz ?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

maccored wrote: »
    Occam's razor isnt a scientific reason.

I'm not even sure it's applicable in that scenario either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Listen carefully on 0:26, just before he says: "The Nazi.." and then on 2:40 just before "two chimneys...".

But it is true one of the Red Cross volunteers said after the camp was liberated: "All I had with me in Auschwitz soak through with a strange, difficult to determine, sweet smell. Both clothing and food. It remained for months in the clothing after returning to Krakow. I also remember that birds spared camp at Auschwitz flying high over it."

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭HarrisonLennon

"As we were leaving the camp, a German army bus pulled up. Every on of those soldures was looking down at their boots as they walked into the camp. We were ordered not to make a sound. It was a walk of shame for those army lads."

I know this post is old, but as a WW2 enthusiast I couldn't help but comment on your above quote. It's absurd that you would think that about the German soldiers. And 100% wrong

The German Army are a completely separate organisation from the Nazi's defence forces

The Waffen SS
    Luftwaffe
    The Werhmacht

They share no comparison to the German Army's views, believes and responsibilities.

It's bizzarre you should think that. That's like assuming a US marine would feel responsible or shamed for the crimes of the Klu Klux Klan.

They were showing respect that day, not shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 YerfiRitpal

I know this is an old post, but I just had to comment.

Apparently the same phenomenon occurs at Loch Katrine, in the Trossachs in Scotland. Now I've been to this place. It's a massive tourist attraction with many hill walkers and locals alike, visiting it.

As far as I know, nothing bad has happened at this location. That's not to say that I'm right of course, as I'm sure the place is steeped in history given it's location.

The Trossachs is a wooded glen or valley so there is plenty of vegetation and trees to keep the little dickie birds more than happy. I can't say I remember hearing or seeing any birds, but I wasn't listening or looking out for them.

Seeing that the place is only about an hour from where I live, I think I might take a trip up to find out if this is actually true, more to satisfy my own curiosity than anything else and find out if there is any truth to it or if it is no more than an urban legend! Part of me wants it to be true though....

Well above we have already seen that its false and the same goes for the Trossachs ...

4:48
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xCrkqj0bFw

Common gull over loch Katrine
    http://tomgradwellphotography.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/2088Trossachs-3-2-1024x623.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Originally posted this pic on the second page, but link seems to have expired:

article-1236853-07A4B85A000005DC-683_634x431.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

I guess its a nice idea but really its attributing human emotion and responses to birds. I can accept that the functioning death camps may have kept birds away due to the stench. The idea of primordial memory and instinctive flight or flight (no pun intended) can't be discounted either.

Ever been in a situation or location where every aspect of your being has said to get the hell out of there for no specific reason ? I have. Don't know if was justified or not because I legged it. Its called 'gut' instinct or a 'hunch'. Research it and find out how many people were saved or saved someone else by relying on it.

I've never been to the camps. Closest to the I've been to the slaughter of WW2 s probably the landing beaches at Normandy. Nowadays kids play there and make sandcastles.

Advertisement