Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virgin Media: EPC2425/3925 Modem/Router and Speed Issues - POST HERE ONLY

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 T O D

dermo1990 wrote: »
    If you turn off the new laptop's wireless and use an ethernet cable to connect to the router, in your web browser type: 192.168.1.254. As far as i remember thats the router address. if you go into expert mode and look around the code should be in there somewhere. Not sure where it is anymore since moving to UPC.

Dermo is it the new laptop or the original laptop to connect to the router with the ethernal cable. It a Motorola Netopia Router, With the laptop that can connect to the Eircom Broadband, I went to the default address and saw where the password was typed; it is there as dot dot dot, 8 dots, the character are not shown.

Does anybody know, with this router when selecting the password, do you have to have a Capital, number and letter, or can you just use all small letters?
    How many attempts would you have at typing in the password?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Sudsy86 wrote: »
    Have you disabled the Ip flood and the firewall protection?

Are you having the same issue cabled and wireless?

Ip flood is disabled. Firewall isn't. Wireless is through a separate router which is connected via Ethernet. Same problems exist if I enable wireless on the Ciso modem and use that instead.

I'll try disabling the firewall.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Sudsy86

nesf wrote: »
    Ip flood is disabled. Firewall isn't. Wireless is through a separate router which is connected via Ethernet. Same problems exist if I enable wireless on the Ciso modem and use that instead.

I'll try disabling the firewall.

Sounds like you have 4 issues.

1: DNS issue
    2: Firewall Issue
    3: interference on wireless
    4: Issue with signal levels

1: The DNS is defined by watever device the computer is connected 2...If you are using a seperate router you will need to log into this and check to make sure the DNS is set to Dynamic...Try using Open DNS or Google DNS.

2: Once the firewall on the router(same place where IP Flood is), windows and firewall are disabled then you will rule this issue out...

3: Download a wifi scanner, Inssider 2.0 from MetaGeek is pretty good...Check the connection in the area...Look specifically for N-class routers and routers on you wireless channel and change to compensate

4: Ring UPC

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Alan3002

Same problem here that nesf has.
    Came from:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056169679

Internet is just randomly disconnecting and reconnecting whenever it feels like it. Makes it almost im possible to play Online games.
    Gonna post some info that might help:

BELKIN WIRELESS N router plugged into my CISCO 2425 modem/router through ethernet cable.

Cisco Info:
    LAN
    IP Address: 192.168.1.1 /24
    IP Network: 192.168.1.0
    Decimal NetMask: 255.255.255.0
    Broadcast: 192.168.1.255

WAN
    IP Address: 89.100.68.93
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway IP: 89.100.68.1
    Duration: D: 02 H: 23 M: 59 S: 58
    IPv4 DNS Servers: 89.101.160.489.101.160.5
    MAC Address: 44:58:29:7f:e3:86

Firewall Protection: Disabled
    IP Flood Detection: Disabled

New Channel: Auto
    Current Channel: 1

Belkin Info:
    WAN
    Connection type: Static
    IP Address: 192.168.1.2
    ISP Gateway Address: 192.168.1.1
    DNS Address: 208.67.222.220
    Secondary DNS Address: 208.67.220.220

LAN

IP Address: 192.168.0.254
    DHCP Server: ON
    IP Pool Starting Address: 192.168.0.1
    IP Pool Ending Address: 192.168.0.100

Firewall: Enable

Wireless Channel: 8
    Extension Channel: 4

UPNP: Enabled

Hope someone can help me out, horribly start to a new UPC connection over from Eircom

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭froggy1985

Hi Guys,

Hoping this is the right place to post. Wondering if anyone could give me some input on this. Yesterday i reset my cisco epc2425 router as i didnt have the password to access it. Soon as i reset it i went in and set up a password for WPA2 PSK security and tried to log on to the net. The laptop (vaio) finds the network, will accept the security code, but wont fully connect to the internet, it shows as "connected: local only".

Strange thing is that myself and my girlfriends smartphones connect to the wi-fi no problem at all. The xbox also connects with no issues. Have you any ideas (in simple terms im not too clever with these kind of things) as to why the laptop will not connect considering it was working fine before i reset the router?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

You haven't said what operating system you're using. I used to have vista and it could be very temperamental when it came to wireless. I seem to remember that there was some way of deleting am individual wireless network and then letting it find it again. This often did the trick in the type of scenario you're describing.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭zale

Man these 2425 are bad....anyway I'll ignore the 4ft wireless range problem for now.....my first problem is

I'm tryin to disable IP flooding.
    I've read it's under the advanced tab but when clicked it looks for "User Name & Password" but won't accept it. I can get into the setup tab but not Advanced.

I've tried to reset the 2425 and leave user name & passwrod blank but still can't open "Advanced" Tad.

What am I not doing,
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Its under the Setup tab, theres a section about half way down the page called Firewall and under that you'll find Options. In there is an option for IP Flood Detection that you can disable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Dr Cockroach

Hi Guys

Any body having intermittent service where by the Broadband drops off for 10-20 mins and comes back again. I am having this problem ever since the speed change of 15mb to 20mb using the cicso cable router yoke about 6 monhts old. On a new cable and no duff connectors in the loop. I listen to newstalk every morning on my sonos system and it drops off even caused me to be late!!. I also check the phone and its dead also (using a linksys pap2 on blueface). Every thing was grand untill the speed change. Anybody else having this difficulty.:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭froggy1985

digitaldr wrote: »
    You haven't said what operating system you're using. I used to have vista and it could be very temperamental when it came to wireless. I seem to remember that there was some way of deleting am individual wireless network and then letting it find it again. This often did the trick in the type of scenario you're describing.

Sorry yeah its vista alright.. I have gone in and removed the wireless network from the memory which means that it basically picks it up fresh again, put in the password, it connects, but "Local Only" so cant get on to the net. Strangely enough if I remove the security and leave the network open it will connect, but not when I have the password set up. Even though phones, xbox etc will connect no problem even with the password..

So maybe something to do with the password, any type of security and it will connect but local only, remove security and it works grand, any ideas anyone, i would be forever in your debt :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Sudsy86

Try removing the wireless profile and instead of automatically creating manually create...

Open network and sharing
    Go to manage wireless networks
    Click Add
    Click Manually create a network profile
    Network Name = SSID from underneath the modem
    Security type = WPA personal
    encryption type = TKIP(vista will default AES<---what think is your issu)
    Neywork Key = Password underneath modem

Hope this helps - If not you may need to update your wilress drivers...

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

Package: 20Mbit
    Connection type: WIFI and wired. Laptop and MACS
    Router DNS:89.101.160.4, 89.101.160.5

Hi everyone. Great thread - been reading through but can't find an answer for my problem. I have a 20Mbit wifi connection over EPC2425 router and pretty recently the internet is 'pausing'. If I start my laptop or Mac (be it wired or wireless), it takes minutes to open the 1st webpage ("Connecting to www.boards.ie"...). After this it will work fine for a while until it decides to 'pause again.

There is nothing funny on the home network like torrents, gaming or video streaming. I would have guessed a DNS problem but that's just a shot in the dark!

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

ok guys i am not sure i should post here but if anyone can give me a hand:

i got the Scientific Atlanta EPC2203 modem (Not the Cisco EPC 2425 ) working with my old modem/router from Smart (Thomson tg585v7) for about 1 week now and suddenly the broadband is not working anymore(thompson page keep show up saying the broad is not working). i can login to the router checking its status etc but it just doesnt give me the internet connection anymore. weird.

do i need to set the router to bridge mode? any help is appreciated very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi Guys,

I too have the Scientific Atlanta EPC2203 cable modem connected to a Netgear Wireless G WGR614v10 Router installed by UPC about 6 months ago on the 20MB package.

Speedtest.net consistently confirms I'm getting +/-16mb download speeds and most apps and downloads are pretty fast but torrents, which were originally downloading at 150kb's and above are now trickling in at 4kbs on average which is effectively unuseable. FYI I use Vuze for downloading torrents.

Any suggestions how I can get torrents downloading at the proper speed? It feels like torrents are throttled.

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Does anyone know of any way to stop UPC doing a factory reset every 2 weeks or so? I keep having to do a complete setup of the thing including setting up the correct SSID , WPA keys etc.

I'm pretty sure they're doing this remotely because it just reset itself a few minutes after switching it on and after that it was at factory default once again (Including the stupidly simple WPA key that UPC gave it). Also all of my other settings are gone. I'm really beginning to understand why people hate this thing so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

My UPC connection went down today for about 1 hour.
    Once I reset the modem (unplugged, then plugged back in after min) and the connection came back on, it looks as if UPC have totally locked out the modem now (possibly with a firmware upgrade).

I have a Cisco EPC2203 from them and had it setup in bridged mode. Now when I try and check these settings, i can only access the system page and all the others say "This feature is not enabled." and the advanced tab asks for a username and password which i dont have and I have tried all the ones mentioned in this forum, UPC must have changed it.

I need to get back into the modem to see if it is still in bridged mode as my connection seems to have gone really slow since the connection is back up.

Is there anyway I can check if it is in bridged mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Looks like if it was in bridged mode its IP would be 192.168.100.1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Merged with Sticky thread.
    gline wrote: »
    I have a Cisco EPC2203 from them and had it setup in bridged mode.

The 2203 is a modem only, with no routing functionality, so it has no bridge mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Looks like if it was in bridged mode its IP would be 192.168.100.1
    jor el wrote: »
    Yeh that seems to be in bridged mode then :)

The 2203 is a modem only, with no routing functionality, so it has no bridge mode.
    It did have setting for different modes, one was bridged mode, before i switched it to that it used to be on 192.0.1.1

• Registered Users Posts: 5 liamfoneill

Hi,

I want to use the windows media center streaming to my xbox 360 from my desktop pc. My xbox is connected via wifi and my pc is hardwired to the router. I know this isn't going to work (from reading earlier posts). It works fine from my laptop as that is connected via wifi.

So rather than pulling any more of my hair out, I want to buy a router. My questions are:

1. Has anyone had any luck getting UPC to give them one of the scientific atlantica modem as a replacement for the cisco modem/router?
    2. If not how do I use my cisco in bridge mode? I have read all the other posts about putting it into bridge mode but those options just simply aren't available to me. I only got installed two weeks ago so maybe I have a newer firmware version. I can log into both the normal setup tab and also the advanced tab on 192.168.100.1 but I don't have the option for gateway/bridge mode anywhere. Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭CSU

Is anyone here capable of putting a wireshark tutorial together going through exactly what is needed to prove this concept of dodgy wireless made by OP?

If we got enough results together we sure could get some answers from Cisco and/or UPC...

All I'm seeing is people in here with more or less basic networking problems which doesn't necessarily mean there's a problem with the router does it?

The statement the OP made about UPC not being able to "mess" with our wireless, I can't see this being totally correct TBH, I'm not an expert on these things but I would imagine UPC have some control over the firmware being able to make changes to the device and whatnot...

Back to the point of this post, we need to prove there's a problem...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

CSU wrote: »
    Is anyone here capable of putting a wireshark tutorial together going through exactly what is needed to prove this concept of dodgy wireless made by OP?

Can you clarify which statement about dodgy wirelss you are talking about, because I made no such claim? Wifi can be interfered with by numerous sources, and the ISP making daily random firmware changes to your modem, just to knacker your wireless speeds, is not going to be one of them.
    The statement the OP made about UPC not being able to "mess" with our wireless, I can't see this being totally correct TBH, I'm not an expert on these things but I would imagine UPC have some control over the firmware being able to make changes to the device and whatnot...

UPC have full control of the firmware, but they don't use it to adjust people's Wifi speeds on the fly, as has been claimed by numerous posters. If your speed test result is 20Mbps on Ethernet, then regardless of what you get on Wifi, it is not UPC's problem to fix. If there were some sort of deliberate attempt by UPC to reduce speeds on Wifi, then wouldn't everyone suffer the same way? The fact that it changes intermittently, and only for some users, would suggest the problem lies elsewhere.
    Back to the point of this post, we need to prove there's a problem...

Why? UPC don't provide Wifi access, they provide broadband. If your broadband speed is acceptable, then that's the end of it. Wifi router issues cannot be warranted by an ISP, and never should be, because it's impossible for them to guarantee anything with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭CSU

Can you clarify which statement about dodgy wirelss you are talking about, because I made no such claim? Wifi can be interfered with by numerous sources, and the ISP making daily random firmware changes to your modem, just to knacker your wireless speeds, is not going to be one of them.
    Speed issues over Wifi but not when wired. Wifi speeds can vary, and are nothing to do with the ISP. Suggestions that UPC are deliberately slowing your Wifi speeds are a nonsense, and will not be allowed here. The ISP cannot interfere with your Wifi network, as this is completely out of their control. If you have speed issues, then test the speed with a wired connection to the modem. Speedtests done over Wifi are never going to be accurate. Issues with Wifi speed can be resolved by changing the Wifi channel. Use InSSIDer to check your local spectrum to see what channels are in use. Also, cordless DECT phones can cause interference with with Wifi, as can a multitude of other wireless equipment. A poor signal due to range, or crappy router (like the EPC2425), or crappy Wifi card in your computer can also be a cause of issue.
    Maybe the crappy router's wifi is the issue...
    UPC have full control of the firmware, but they don't use it to adjust people's Wifi speeds on the fly, as has been claimed by numerous posters. If your speed test result is 20Mbps on Ethernet, then regardless of what you get on Wifi, it is not UPC's problem to fix. If there were some sort of deliberate attempt by UPC to reduce speeds on Wifi, then wouldn't everyone suffer the same way? The fact that it changes intermittently, and only for some users, would suggest the problem lies elsewhere.
    I imagine the vast majority of customers use only the wifi feature, if they wanted they could throttle your speed for abusing the fair usage policy which doesn't apply to everybody, it's unlikely though, certainly not 'nonsense'
    Why? UPC don't provide Wifi access, they provide broadband. If your broadband speed is acceptable, then that's the end of it. Wifi router issues cannot be warranted by an ISP, and never should be, because it's impossible for them to guarantee anything with it.
    There's a hardware issue, right? I'm not talking about waging bloody war with UPC, I just simply would like to approach the issue by collecting data from forum users and proving exactly where the fault lies in the hardware (if any). I can tell you if I can prove that they sold me a dodgy router I'll be getting a different model from them free of charge (as will all others).

There's too much noise in all of the threads regarding this router about standard networking problems unrelated to the router - IMO if there where a guide we could follow to fully test the routers hardware both wired and wifi we could put an end to this discussion and collect some real results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

Hi Guys

just connected to upc, im trying to connect to the net with the wireless router, the router is Cisco EPC2425.

Its saysing "Local Only"

can anyone shed some light?

i can only connect to the net when i have the ethernt wire connected.

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

I I got my upc package installed today and while the landline phone and channels are working grand, im having problems connecting my laptop to the internet. I even called back the service technician and he tried everythiing and couldnt connect it, he even disabled the security as he thoought that may have been preventing it from connecting, however it still didnt work.
    To prove that the connection was there and working fine he tried connecting his i phone and he was able to connect it no problem.
    He said the only thing he thinks may be the problem is that the wireless card inside the laptop is broken so I have given my laptop to a friend for the night to see if he can connect it to his upc at his home, does anyone have idea what else it could be in the meantime?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭jrd

I got UPC broadband/phone/tv package 9 days ago. Speed is good and for the two ethernet connected computers, all is fine and works well. However it is a totally different story for a laptop and internet radio. Neither will connect immediately and I need to power-cycle the router/modem.

Judging by the start of the thread, there are a lot of issues with the EPC2425. Are the rest of you having this daily issue with the router?

What s/w version should I be on for the EPC425? Is there a CISCO basic firmware revision that you could upload to remove the UPC element or would that disable access?

PS I do need wireless and the phone option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Also, cordless DECT phones can cause interference with with Wifi...

This is not true. DECT uses 1.9 GHz in Europe, only cheap crappy non-DECT cordless phones use 2.4 GHz and have the potential to interfere (these are a lot more common in the US).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

Got UPC in a few months ago (EPC2425) and till sunday it was great.

got up on sunday morning and nothing would connect, wife was trying to get online and couldnt.

i connected the laptop to the modem via ethernet and logged in to the modem to find that it had been completely reset, so i put my custom WPA key and and all worked fine, for a few hours, wireless dropped out and had to reboot modem.

that was fine till last night, got in from work and no wireless, restarted modem again and came back up, then it kept dropping out every hour or so but came back itself after a few mins. woke up thismorn and noticed that my blackberry was not connected to wifi, came into living room and no net at all, connected ethernet and noticed the modem again had reset itself to factory settings.

Called UPC for the second time (i called them lastnight too) and was asked to factory reset the modem, when i questioned them on how the hell this can fix an issue where the modem is doing the same they immediately offered to send someone out to have a look.

So they say that someone will be out thursday morning and that they can not get anyone sooner, think i may be making some serious noise for UPC if this keeps going on, not impressed at all seeing as ive taken time off this week and really need my home broadband to be working

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

Hi all.
    I've searched through the threads for an aid to my non ability to bridge problem and I found the below originally posted by watty.

"If you can't bridge, then set your separate router to a different subnet, i.e. 192.168.3.xxx for everything on LAN.

Then give your router WAN port a static IP in the LAN range of the Cisco Router/Cable Modem and only plug the WAN port into Cisco.
    Disable WiFi on the Cisco
    Then on the Cisco make the IP of your standalone WiFi/Router a DMZ. Then all ports are forwarded both ways, it's almost like Bridge Mode. To the 3rd party standalone WiFi/Router it will look like the Cisco is in Bridge mode but as if your public IP is the LAN IP on the Cisco set up for DMZ.

The actual Public IP is of course whatever it is."

Has anyone here did this with any lynksys router??. I don't know what menus in the lynksys router that I need to set the new subnet to as I keep getting errors with saying that the wan and LAN ip's are the same.
    Any help would be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

I just got this modem after re-signing up to UPC broadband.

Is it possible to use a 5GHz network on it? Currently on wireless I'm only getting a max of 25mb/s downloads instead of 30mb. An upgrade to 5GHz might help?
    edit: via ethernet i'm getting a full 35mb download speed! Is there any way of getting this wirelessly?

Advertisement