Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Everybody can come into our liberal paradise - just don't go to their countries!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

When I'm on the train and see a muslim I always put one leg up so that the sole of the shoe on that foot faces the muslim.

I've had some of them get so upset that they actually started abusing me and several have actually attempted to physically assault me.

Last one who put his hands on me got a hiding and was arrested by police at the next station.

When he went to court for assault, he said what I was doing was an insult to islam and that he had the religious right to act against me as he did. Violence is their answer to most things that they don't approve of.

muslims don't assimilate onto the community, they try to change it to their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

2 wrongs dont make a right

Why should we lower our standards just because other countries have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

old_aussie wrote: »
    When I'm on the train and see a muslim I always put one leg up so that the sole of the shoe on that foot faces the muslim.

I've had some of them get so upset that they actually started abusing me and several have actually attempted to physically assault me.

Last one who put his hands on me got a hiding and was arrested by police at the next station.

When he went to court for assault, he said what I was doing was an insult to islam and that he had the religious right to act against me as he did. Violence is their answer to most things that they don't approve of.

muslims don't assimilate onto the community, they try to change it to their way.

So you intentionally insulted them to provoke a reaction? You're great aren't you. No different than giving someone the finger.

If you did it unintentionally, then you would have a point. But to purposefully go out of your way to insult someone and provoke them is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Antbert

Ah hello typical biggoted AH post.

I think you miss the point of us being a liberal country. Here is the glaring error with what you say: Muslims (or whoever) come here and attempt to "inflict" some of their (albeit unpleasant by our standards) customs on this society. You cry out "But if I went to a Muslim country and wore a strappy top " -(you're probably not a girl, but bear with me) - "I'd be arrested! How brutally unfair!"

So, in order to combat this injustice, you suggest we adopt the policies of these Muslim countries, hence oppressing the other cultures when they come here.

Then we become exactly the same, and no longer liberal.

It's a bit of a catch 22 isn't it.

But no, actually, it isn't. Because I have my doubts that this particular issue has ever personally affected you.

PK2008 said it much better than I did. But the general idea is the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Id been wondering what happened to AH. Its been a while since we had an arent-muslims-frightfully-dreadful rant thread......a good six weeks I think :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eBT6OSr1TI

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭MaybeLogic

OutlawPete wrote: »
    I don't.
    I never said you did. I was talking in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

darkman2 wrote: »
    Muslims can come here and do what they like in our fluffy and liberal country yet go to one of their countries and they are not so liberal.
    Exactly. Their society is one way, ours is another ("fluffy" I'm not so sure).

What on earth is that supposed to achieve?

dlofnep wrote: »
    So you intentionally insulted them to provoke a reaction? You're great aren't you. No different than giving someone the finger.

If you did it unintentionally, then you would have a point. But to purposefully go out of your way to insult someone and provoke them is wrong.

I'll sit on a train in Australia as comfortably as I want to.

It's just a factual example of how our Aussie culture has to deal with muslim who want to impose their beliefs. Many people sit with one foot over the knee of the other leg, and I'm not going to change my culture just cause some muslim is sitting opposite me.

muslims should adapt to their new country and respect our Aussie culture, not expect Australia to change for them.

Get a grip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

MaybeLogic wrote: »
    I never said you did. I was talking in general.

Yeah, well in future make it clear or next time you're flying home, I'll phone customs and tell them to get their rubber gloves out, as MaybeLogic's carrying some undeclared internal hand luggage :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

What a hero. :rolleyes:

"Violence is their answer to most things that they don't approve of."
    Acting like an ignorant bigot is obviously your answer.

Get a grip
    Why should he "get a grip"?
    You said you sit in such a way as a "fuck you" to them - just because they appear to be muslim, as if you're spoiling for a fight.

Dudess wrote: »
    What on earth is that supposed to achieve?

It's supposed to achieve a comfortable sitting position.

Also to show a muslim the sole of your shoe is an insult to them.

It's not against the law to sit as you want in Australia, and i don't see why I should change to accomodate a religin that I don't give a damn about.

They want to come to Australia, let the abide by our culture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭MaybeLogic

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Yeah, well in future make it clear or next time you're flying home, I'll phone customs and tell them to get their rubber gloves out, as MaybeLogic's carrying some undeclared internal hand luggage :p

Apologies for the ambiguity of my original statement.
    And as long as you phone a female Customs Officer, I wouldn't mind too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I wasn't questioning your right to sit comfortably. That's not the issue. The issue is knowingly insulting someone, and not expecting them to be upset. If you didn't know that it upset them, then you could plead ignorance - but this isn't even a case of ignorance because you know exactly what you are doing, and know that it will upset them.
    It's just a factual example of how our Aussie culture has to deal with muslim who want to impose their beliefs. Many people sit with one foot over the knee of the other leg, and I'm not going to change my culture lust cause some muslim is sitting opposite me.

No - that's not what we are discussing here at all. If you sit down, and have your foot up to relax, and a muslim later so happens to sit down at a perfect angle from your foot - then, that's not your fault. You've done no wrong. But when you do it, and aim it at muslims with intent of provoking a reaction - it's wrong.
    muslims should adapt to their new country and respect our Aussie culture, not expect Australia to change for them.

I've alot of respect for Aboriginal culture. Do you?
    Get a grip

I have a grip. I'm just schooled enough to know the difference between ignorance, and purposeful provocation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

Go go gadget backpedal!

If you deliberately provoke them then you deserve what you get.

You see, muslims want me to change, not because what I'm doing is against the law, but because it doesn't agree with their religion.

Laws are the rules in Australia, NOT islam.

Also to show a muslim the sole of your shoe is an insult to them.
    Right, so you're baiting them but you tell dlofnep to "get a grip" for just saying what you're doing. Why bait them? They might be perfectly happy to sit there quietly and mind their own business, and accept Australian culture (heh, the irony - bunch of Europeans sh1tting all over aboriginal culture is the root of that...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Because you should adapt to the culture that YOU go to.

Not try to push your western ideals on that culture.

If you don't like their culture, tough sh1t and don't go there.

I agree with you to a certain extent. This point has to be made clear though. The UAE have been promoting Dubai as a liberal paradise in the largely conservative Middle East for a long time now, by making alcohol legal and the like.

It's perfectly understandable in a city with such a confused identity that people could be confused as to what are the cultural standards of Dubai in particular.

If the UAE were like Saudi Arabia, I'd understand that people should be expected to respect the Royal Family, and not to criticise Islam and the like, as that isn't culturally or legally acceptable in Saudi Arabia. However, with a country like the UAE which has a confused identity, this isn't the easiest thing to do.
    And, eh, what about them pushing their ideals on us? The punishment is quite clear for secularism and openess is their countries.

Secularism? Don't you mean atheism, or agnosticism? Secularism refers to a society, or a government policy to keep church and state separate.

It's not just atheism anyway, Judaism, Bahaism, Christianity and other such beliefs are quite heavily restricted in the Middle East.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

• Advertisement

Morkarleth wrote: »
    Go go gadget backpedal!

If you deliberately provoke them then you deserve what you get.

I got the satisfaction that I can do anything in Australia that is not against the law, islam is not the law and has no respect as such in Australia.

The muslim got a hiding from me and several people who tried to intervene(that he also attacked) and he also got a suspended jail sentence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Id been wondering what happened to AH. Its been a while since we had an arent-muslims-frightfully-dreadful rant thread......a good six weeks I think :rolleyes:

We've been busy with Catholic threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

I got the satisfaction that I can do anything in Australia that is not against the law, islam is not the law and has no respect as such in Australia.

I'll presume you have no respect for anyone or anything besides the law, then. Unless you just have a chip on your shoulder with regards Muslims.
    The muslim got a hiding from me and several people who tried to inyervine and he also got a suspended jail sentence

After you provoked him. Yeah, that's real fair.

You disgust me.

TheZohan wrote: »
    We've been busy with Catholic threads.

Off Muslim bashing for lent ?
    And, eh, what about them pushing their ideals on us?

Examples ?
    Ask the Dutch. Within 5 years Muslims will hold the balance of power there.
    Do you actually have any idea what you are talking about ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

I got the satisfaction that I can do anything in Australia that is not against the law

So do you walk around giving the finger to everyone else you see? I'm pretty sure that's not against the law.

Sofaspud wrote: »
    giving the finger to everyone else you see? I'm pretty sure that's not against the law.

Is it not a bit of a grey area ?

I wouldnt try it with a policeman for example

Not until his back was turned anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Just to say to the OP, isn't it good that in Western countries like Ireland we can tolerate people of different beliefs even if people aren't treated so well elsewhere? We don't have to stoop down a level.

I actually think it's something to be proud of that we have the decency and respect for others that we don't tell them to f-off home especially when they can offer much to our society. If we don't respect them, how on earth do you expect them to respect us?

You're arguing about the wrong thing here. I in no way think that religion should influence the law. A prime example being drinking on Good Friday (a bit of a Godwin at this time of year). So, no there rightly is no law preventing you from showing the sole of your foot to someone on a train. I didn't actually know it was offensive and could have inadvertantly done it myself. And of course, I should not be penalised for it.

The difference here is, you're being a deliberate antagonist. You're exploiting the law being in your favour to insult and offend someone. This is something I wouldn't do. It's pointless and rude. And I'm not sure what you're even trying to say. The law IS on your side, so you're not even protesting about it.
    The muslim got a hiding from me and several people who tried to intervene(that he also attacked) and he also got a suspended jail sentence
    I don't advocate attacking anyone. It doesn't make you any less of an unpleasant aggressor in the situation.

Mike 1972 wrote: »

This deserves a quote to itself as well as a thanks, because what an amazing video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Sofaspud wrote: »
    So do you walk around giving the finger to everyone else you see? I'm pretty sure that's not against the law.

i'm pretty sure he was trying to demonstrate OTT reactions. i mean, if someone gave me the finger, i'd just ignore them.still though it's pretty bad

Advertisement