Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does MW/LW PLL on a radio mean?

• 10-10-2006 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I was looking at cd players in the argos catalogue and most of them say FM/AM tuner but one that I was looking at says MW/LW PLL analogue tuner. Is this completely different from FM and you can't get the same channels - today FM, 2 FM etc??

Haven't got a clue about these things!
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

yeah, MW and LW are different bands - MW: Medium Wave; LW: Long Wave. PLL: Phase. Locked Loop

Basically, if you want to listen to today fm etc, make sure you have FM. I'd be amazed if you could buy a stereo or tuner without FM tbh.

MW and LW (while loved by us who love radio) are better for speech than music. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Especially for the sports. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

AFAIK, AM means MW and LW.

Although AM can just mean that the radio has MW and not LW.

(Open to corrections on that)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Christineb

Thanks for all the help, i just went for an FM one in the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

...and here is a completely useless fact, LW (Long Wave) really is long, the wavelength can be in excess of 1000 meters!

AM/MW (Amplitude modulation/Medium Wave) is not so long and SW (Short Wave) is approximately 200 meters or less.

See, told you it's a useless fact.

• Advertisement
Advertisement